Kamen Rider and Mazinger Z

  • Thread starter Thread starter DHX
  • Start date Start date
D

DHX

Guest
largeanimepaperscansmazdm2.jpg
 
Last edited:
I can see it just fine. However, it just doesn't strike my fancy. The physics of trying to stay on his head, let alone on the bike would be impossible in the midst of combat...and yes I'm aware I just maimed a catgirl for bringing science into an Anime/Toku thread.

It's just like Fruitcake:

Fruit - Good.
Cake - Great!
Fruitcake - Nasty Crap.

I'm sure you get the meaning. Great image, but I'm glad they didn't do it that way in Mazinger.
 

Yeah that was the original concept for Mazinger Z as he was initially inspired by the concept of somebody literally driving a robot. Ended up using that for Diana Ace in the end/ Still is sort of a cool concept even if it leaves thepilot totally out in the open :P
 
Looks like its original name, according to the design, was "Energer Z." (Except replace "majin"/"mazin" with "enerugi"/"energy".)

That's an interesting concept, almost like Masked Rider with a giant robot, though it'd look rather vulnerable. I'd also be worried about Kouji falling off or getting thrown off due to either motion force or robot-sickness. :laugh:

Mazinger looks just fine as he is.
 
There were several other titles the show went through before it was christened MAZINGER Z, "Energer Z" being only one of them. I'm sure what everyone has said in response is exactly what came up at the brainstorming sessions with Toei Animation and Popy, before everything satisfactorily came together with the final designs which were approved of when the show aired as MAZINGER Z.

Too bad that there was also a huge strike at Toei Animation at the time, which really shows in DEVILMAN and the early episodes of MAZINGER Z. Still, this didn't effect the solid writing by Keisuke Fujikawa and others, and helped to make MAZINGER Z the sensation it was (along with composer Michiaki Watanabe's songs and score). While some of the recent remakes are brilliantly animated -- based on all of the original designs, the one thing that they lack is utilizing Watanabe's important music.

What book did this illustration come from? I have an earlier version of it, under a different title, in "Go Nagai: Design Sketch of Super Robots" (Media Works, 2003). I'm always looking for more books on Nagai's super robots.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top