Jinzo Ningen Kikaida the Animation-Talk Back

HaiTien78

Member
Alright has anyone been watching this? I have the first Volume and it seriously rocks :buttrock: For some reason I think Kikaida the Animation is like what Kamen Rider Spirits is for Kamen Rider, Kikaida with a much darker tone. Myself I never watched Kikaida or Kikaida 01, not even Hakaida, but now I'm thinking about watching Kikaida :thumbs:. I think the Cyborg 009 artwork style suits Kikaida, but is it me or does anyone notice that Jiro and Mitsuko are the only characters that are given a serious art style while the rest are drawn all goofy like :sly:
 
Alright has anyone been watching this? I have the first Volume and it seriously rocks :buttrock: For some reason I think Kikaida the Animation is like what Kamen Rider Spirits is for Kamen Rider, Kikaida with a much darker tone. Myself I never watched Kikaida or Kikaida 01, not even Hakaida, but now I'm thinking about watching Kikaida :thumbs:. I think the Cyborg 009 artwork style suits Kikaida, but is it me or does anyone notice that Jiro and Mitsuko are the only characters that are given a serious art style while the rest are drawn all goofy like :sly:

That's because that was Shoutarou Ishinomori's art style, very similar to that of Osamu Tezuka. Tezuka was Ishinomori's mentor.

This anime version of Kikaider is very close to Ishinomori's manga (which I read), but the animation and overall execution is passive and weak. The 4-part Kikaider 01 OVA (a highly truncated version of the second half of the manga) is slightly better. I did like the Kikaider Vs. Inazuman special. Not bad, but overall, I prefer the original 70s series.

The Kikaider story was always dark, at least Ishinomori's manga version was. Basically, even though the story was based on Pinocchio, Kikaider himself is also a robot superhero version of the creature in Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. (Pinocchio "grew up" into Frankenstein's Monster.)
 
I really, really LOVE the look of the anime Kikaider. On the story my feelings are mixed, especially where the ending to the 01 series is concerened.
 
Yep, I loved every minute. I still need to buy me Volumes 2-4 though, I think I'll eBay them this week so I can watch the series again. I already have Volume 1 & the Kikaider 01 OVA.

You guys know this used to run on Adult Swim for a while, right?
 
Yep, I loved every minute. I still need to buy me Volumes 2-4 though, I think I'll eBay them this week so I can watch the series again. I already have Volume 1 & the Kikaider 01 OVA.

You guys know this used to run on Adult Swim for a while, right?

Why else do you think I posted my opinion? (Before I saw it on Adult Swim, I had heard of it when it was first announced, and wanted to see it, because I am a Kikaider fan.) ;)

I wish that they'd release the Kikaider Vs. Inazuman special sometime. That was my favorite episode (especially since Inazuman is another favorite of mine).
 
Yeah, having that on R1 DVD would be awesome to round out the collection. I bought Vol 2 last night because you guys reminded me & I should get 3-4 by the end of the week. :anime:
 
Just Thought I'd bump this.

I got the Kikaider Animation box set awhile back and was finally able to watch the whole thing. Neat. That's what I have to say about this series.

Overal, I thought it was a fairly simple and often used style of story, but they executed it very well. I think the endings of the show and the OVA made the series for me. Kinda tragic, but in a beautiful kind of way. I also enjoyed what little I saw of the Inazuman crossover(the last 3/4's are on youtube raw), but am pretty pissed that it wasn't included as part of the 'perfect collection' box set, despite it being the conclusion to the whole series.

Anywho, If you haven't seen it yet then check it out. As long as you can get passed the retro ishinimori-style animation, then you'll be in for an awesome ride.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top