How Did You Get Into Kamen Rider (or Toku)?

I had gotten into Kamen Rider through my friend. He had shown me some of the english dubbed episodes of "Kamen Rider BLACK".
 
For me the love affair only began early this year. Before that I'd been avery casual watcher of PR while I knew nothing about KR whatsoever. One fine afternoon while on NS leave, I was bored so I wanted to watch some anime on my sister's laptop who's a hardcore anime freak. I noticed the RAW for Kabuto 11 so I watched it even though I didn't understand it and soon got to thinking, "Hey, this is good stuff." I got the TV-N link from my sis and then downloaded the most recent subbed ep which the site had released (ep 13 at that time). I was addicted after watching it, hook, line and sinker.

Since then, it's been downloading toku after toku. I wanted to be a completionist so my plan is to concentrate on one series at a time in addition to 2006's sentai, PR and KR series. Currently I'm concentrating on Hibiki which is seriously addictive stuff. I plan on going for Ultraman Nexus or KR 555 after Hibiki and definitely 2007 series like Gekiranger, KR Den'ou and PROO.
 
When I was young, I saw Power Rangers for the first time and sort of lost interest by the time Space had rolled around. While living in Mexico, I saw a wacked dub of Kamen Rider Shin. I really enjoyed it though, at the time, I had never seen anything like it, aside from Power Rangers, but this was miles better than any PR series I had seen at the time. I ended up buying the movie and some other random Kamen Rider and Ultraman tapes at a local flea market and for the next year or so, that's all I saw in the form of toku.

When I got back to the states, I got the chance to watch Kakuranger from start to finish and loved it. After that, I went to Jetman, which needless to say, is one of my favorite Sentai. I had missed the third season of PR, so it never hit me that PR came from Sentai. Then one day, I was randomly looking up summaries for the upcoming season at the time, Lightspeed Rescue. I found a summary for Go Go V, I even saw some pictures of the cast from Go Go V, so by the time Lightspeed Rescue aired, I was confused as heck. I never paid much attention to it and stuck mainly to old school Kamen Rider series thanks to a local import shop. Sometime during the course of Wild Force, I saw a Hurricanger episode and that's when I found out about Sentai. That basically opened the door to the world of toku for me, I lurked around at Japan Hero for a while and then Rangerboard and then I found this place.
 
Jeff posted up a video of Kamen Rider Ryuki, that had Ryuki fighting that Tiger Rider guy.

My eyes went wide, my jaw dropped and I ran across the internet right away and bought as many HK's of Ryuki I could find.

Haven't missed a season yet, except for Hibiki.
 
I started out watching Power Rangers when I was young. Three years ago, I watched some show on Public Access that featured scenes from what I didn't realize was Hurricanger. I never made progress from that until last year. I remember watching the Dino Thunder episode "Lost and Found in Translation" and liking the theme song for what I didn't realize was Abaranger, then I remembered liking the theme song for Hurricanger. Then last year, as I was reading through Power Rangers on Wikipedia, my curiosity into all things Japanese made me click the link to the Super Sentai article. Then I read about Sentai on Wikipedia, then on other sites, then one night, as I read an article about Power Rangers, I came across a page for Masked Rider and clicked it, finding the link to the Kamen Rider article. Eventually, I was led here, where I'd lurk for a few months, downloading Toku and Anime songs and slightly following Boukenger & Kabuto until I decided to join up and request the themes for Megaranger and Kakuranger. By the summer, I decided to admit to myself that I like toku and stuck around.

Now, almost 800 posts and one year after first discovering toku, I've gone from watching clips of Kabuto, Boukenger, and GARO, to downloading Kabuto & Ryukendo raws from PDD, to watching my first subbed toku series, GARO. And I'm damn proud of the progress I've made in my quest to learn more about and enjoy toku. :buttrock:
 
Hmm, got hooked on Power Rangers with the first promos. On and off in those early years I kept hearing about it being made with footage from a Japanese TV show. Unfortunately I never really had any idea or the means to find out any more info. It wasn't until getting on the internet that some searches on Power Rangers openned the door to Sentai for me. Pretty much Japan Hero introduced me to Kamen Rider and the heroes beyond that. For a while I was so into Kamen Rider, but as much of a Rider fan I am, now I prefer the "other" category of Henshin Heroes.

Theres an english dub! O_O
MIght have been the dub from the Philippines. So many shows were dubbed in English in the Philippines.
 
It was 3 years ago when I was 12, I was checking for some information on Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue and suddenly came across a GoGoV fansite.. surprised, I checked through the website and learned about Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and other General Toku shows.. I wasn't really bothered the following year until I was 14 years old, when I managed to get my hands on some Dekaranger eps. Today, I'm a huge fan of Super Sentai and other Toku's!! :buttrock: :thumbs:
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top