Help me get back into comics after a 1 year hiatus [PUNTED TO ANIMATION/COMICS]

imadestroyer

HENSHIN V3!
Well, I haven't been buying comics for close to a year now, mainly because of money issues, but also because the comic store I visited every wednesday went out of business. I'd like to get back into reading Marvel and DC regularly, but I'm having trouble finding a list of important storylines that will get me caught up and "in the know" with what is going on in the comic world. I'm sure that there are some comic fans here willing to help a guy out. :) For reference, I recall that Secret Invasion and Final Crisis were very early in their run. So any important reads from Secret Invasion and Final Crisis to present is what I'm trying to find. I'm not looking for spoilers, just suggested reading material. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You're better off avoiding Secret Invasion entirely, where as some may very well argue the exact same about Final Crisis (I found it much deeper and provacative than Marvel's predictable crossover nonsense), but if you're curious, it leads to Norman Osborn taking over SHIELD and forming the "Dark Avengers"

Final Crisis, due to mandates, rewrites, and delays, was reduced to pretty much an open-and-shut case...the only major events of any signifience (which is actually REFRESHING as opposed to the last two Crisis that set up directions that didnt go anywhere), is Batman's apparent demise and Barry Allen's return.

DC: Check out Heart of Hush, Batman R.I.P (ties in with Final Crisis), and then read the final issues of Nightwing and Robin before reading "Battle for the Cowel", which will set up the new Batman and Robin.

Superman's "New Krypton" storyline brings back more silver-age heroes and shakes up the status quoe, forcing Superman to depart for Earth, with new and older heroes trying to cope on Earth without him currently The biggest draw for the company is the Green Lantern title, the "In Blackest Knight" event will be commencing in a few months. I'd also recommend reading "Terror Titans"

Marvel: I've got very little to recommend from this out of date company, but Matt Fraction's work on Iron Man is great, Chris Claremont is launching a new X-Men title in the next few months that is based on his 1990s continuity, Tom DeFalco's Spider-Girl series is to be relaunched as an online comic too. The Ultimate Marvel Universe is also about to undergo a reboot, with USM becoming "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man", and the latest major waste of any fan's time, "Dark Reign", is currently playing out, with the next collosal waste of time, "War of Kings", beggining in a few months
 
Well, I wouldn't say Secret Invasion was a total loss, but then again everyone has their own opinions, Marvel has Dark Reign on going now, which isn't a limited issue series but the theme of what's going on in the entire marvel universe.

So for Marvel, perhaps look at Dark Avengers, which is pretty cool, and is at issue 3 right now.

As for DC, i'm waiting for final crisis as a trade, so i can't comment although i already know the spoilers. The Blackest Night is up coming this summer, which is a war between the Green Lantern corps and other corps. A really good read, and u would need to start in order:

Green Lantern Rebirth
Green Lantern Corps Vol 1 (i think it's called recharge)

And all the trades of both Corps ( i didn't start collecting GL and GLC until I read the next trade which pretty much sets the standard of EPIC for Blackest Night)


Green Lantern Sinestro Corps Vol 1 and 2
 
Agree with Skyknight on most of what he said (just finished Battle for the Cowl #1 and bravo Mr. Daniels on your debut writing job...and his art was nice too, lol). If you are into The Flash, he is getting a "rebirth" series much like GL did....ok, EXACTLY like GL did considering it's the same creative team and title. Should be good though, even if you're a mild Flash fan or completely new to the character altogether. Action Comics is the best it's been ever since I began reading the book, and that's been roughly 15 years, so that should say something about how awesome it is. Don't have any none DC recommendations outside of Captain America...pick up the trades from when Brubacker began his run, it's consistently enjoyable from each arc (with the same team thankfully) which is a rare thing with comics nowadays.
 
For reference, I recall that Secret Invasion and Final Crisis were very early in their run. So any important reads from Secret Invasion and Final Crisis to present is what I'm trying to find. I'm not looking for spoilers, just suggested reading material. :)

Avoid Secret Invasion, just wiki the story. However read the Captain Britain and the MI:13 Secret Invasion story, in fact read Captain Britain and the MI:13 in general its the best run Marvel has right now. I also suggest avoiding the current Marvel big event Dark Reign and Dark Avengers. Just read The Ultimates instead and Ultimatum (avoid Ultimates 3)

As for Final Crisis you're gonna need a lot to get the whole picture:
Final Crisis (of course)
Revelations
Batman R.I.P.
Legion of Three Worlds
Superman 3-D Beyond (best of the Final Crisis lot if you ask me).
 
Don't have any none DC recommendations outside of Captain America...pick up the trades from when Brubacker began his run, it's consistently enjoyable from each arc (with the same team thankfully) which is a rare thing with comics nowadays.

I'm not that far behind lol

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions, I'll be picking up a few trades today and hopefully get caught up soon. :)
 
If you want to get caught up on the X-Men, start with Messiah CompleX and X-Infernus, which leads into the New Mutants ongoing series. I also reccomend X-Force, which is gearing up for the Messiah War crossover with Cable. Avoid Young X-Men, though. It just ended this month and it was a lackluster book anyway. UXM is about to start the Sisterhood arc next month, too.

The only thing I'm reading Dark Avengers for is Mike Deodato's art because Bendis is an abominable hack who can't give any character he writes for any sort of individuality.
War of Kings is actually starting off pretty solidly, IMO, so you might want to at least read the core series.

One Marvel book I really suggest reading is Secret Warriors. Very satisfying title so far.
 
Well, I haven't been buying comics for close to a year now, mainly because of money issues, but also because the comic store I visited every wednesday went out of business. I'd like to get back into reading Marvel and DC regularly, but I'm having trouble finding a list of important storylines that will get me caught up and "in the know" with what is going on in the comic world. I'm sure that there are some comic fans here willing to help a guy out. :) For reference, I recall that Secret Invasion and Final Crisis were very early in their run. So any important reads from Secret Invasion and Final Crisis to present is what I'm trying to find. I'm not looking for spoilers, just suggested reading material. :)

I HIGHLY recommend the big Green Lantern even that went down last year leading into this year's GL event.

Also, an incredible zombie comic called The Walking Dead and another one called Scott Pilgrim.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top