Have I been a little too harsh on Kabuto?

Black Ranger RX

I don't have low self esteem.
Yeah, I know what you're thinking. Another lame thread from Rising Sun Ranger.




But anyway, you may know that I've been a bit negative on Kabuto quite recently. So, I've been thinking a bit about what Sage said, I said that there were too many boring bits in Kabuto, and he said those boring bits were meant to be the plot..

So I'm thinking (but only thinking) about giving Kabuto another chance, but I'm not sure in which way. Should I..

Watch it through TV Nihon's fansubs

or

Stick to watching RAWs

Noticing my Japanese is still not up to scratch, I thought TV Nihon's subtitles could sorta help me get through the boring bits, but on the other hand I could stick to the RAWs and if I still don't get it, I could simply ask questions about it just like Forever Knight did earlier when he was watching those Metal Hero DVDs.

I really couldn't make my mind up which way to go so I made this poll.
 
Either way you watch is ultimately your choice. I would just advize taking TVN's subs with a grain of salt.

As for your being too harsh, I don't know. I haven't read your past posts about it. As I've said elsewhere, I feel like the wacky cookery stuff is a very jarring tone change and directing style that distracts from my enjoyment of the actual plot related stuff because the show basically grinds to a halt for it. I understand that cooking is part of Tendous character but do we really need to devote entire episodes to Yakitate Japan type stuff? (..and don't get me wrong. I like Yaki alot.)

The first time I got turned off from the series is all the obnoxious make-up stuff that happened when Drake came in, but I liked Gon. I came back to the show once it seemed to find the plot again, and then it started doing more cookery antics. So I basically go back and forth with this show more than any other Rider I've seen. (save for maybe Faiz) Just when I'm ready to drop it, they'll do something I think is intresting.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, maybe you are being harsh but not that harsh.
 
Well...if you don't like the new-gen Rider shows regardless, then you won't liked Kabuto raw or subbed. And if you want to give a new-gen Rider show a shot, Kabuto's not the one, because it blows. Not only that -- it bites down while blowing. Go give Kuuga or, better yet, Agito another chance instead. :thumbs:
 
Wait... you've been watching it raw all this time? :sly:

Not really. I was actually watching TVN's subs somewhere at the beginning of the series, and after missing some episodes I kinda skipped to a later episode (can't remember which one), I think it was RAW.
 
Why the hell would you watch raw when subs are easily found unless you just have a total grasp of the language. The "practice" you'd get isn't really worth messing up your enjoyment. :P Anyway, last I checked you've been knocking all the New Gen shows, which, just from seeing Kuuga and Ryuki, half of Agito and a little of Blade, is just sort of stupid.
 
Why the hell would you watch raw when subs are easily found unless you just have a total grasp of the language. The "practice" you'd get isn't really worth messing up your enjoyment. :P Anyway, last I checked you've been knocking all the New Gen shows, which, just from seeing Kuuga and Ryuki, half of Agito and a little of Blade, is just sort of stupid.

Actually, I can remember actually liking Blade and Faiz, I don't remember saying anything about Agito or Kuuga though.
 
It think of it like this:

If you watch it without subtitles, and there's a scene of two people talking and you just go "That seems cool, but I don't know what the heck is going on and I really wish I did", then I would say start watching it subtitled if you want to understand more of the story and the overall show. But if you just care about seeing a bunch of guys in funny costumes fight, and can get the general idea of what's going on or don't want to wait for the subbed version to come out, go with watching the raws.

If you watch it without subtitles, don't know what's going on and you think it's also boring, then you should probably try watching it with subtitles and maybe you'll get a better appreciation of the story, I think that usually helps. Even with a show like Agito, where I loved it the first time through, I loved it even more when I bought the Cruel Angel subbed version, as I got a lot more of the nuances and jokes that went over my head the first time through (this was 2001, and I originally watched it on VHS, so gimme a break here. :laugh:)

If you can watch it without subtitles, understand what's going on, and love it to pieces, then rock on! Buy the DVDs even if you like it enough.

And if you can watch it without subtitles and understand everything they're saying and still think it's boring, then it probably isn't the show for you.

I think you probably fall somewhere in the middle if you can understand a little/some/most of what's happening, so I would say try watching it without subtitles first, and if you like it enough but feel not knowing what's happening drags it down for you, switch to watching the subs.
 
Not really. I was actually watching TVN's subs somewhere at the beginning of the series, and after missing some episodes I kinda skipped to a later episode (can't remember which one), I think it was RAW.
See, that's one of the problems right there. You shouldn't skip ahead. Doing that will just confuse you because they may touch on some subtle plot point that occured in one of the eps that you missed out on. Best thing to do is to maintain consistency. If you started with the subs, then continue with the subs. Find out where you left off and pick up from there. You may still end up not liking it, but at least you won't be all "WTF" when you see something you don't understand.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top