Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
New era, new paradigm, new rider, new fresh start. Did it work? To be honest, in a vague sense, yes it did. Zero One was a very necessary redemption for this franchise (Zi-O, as strong as it was, only went so far). Haven't seen anything beyond episode 39, but the series has been on steady track long enough for this bold claim to be made.

1. We still have monsters of the week, this is good. It shouldn't need to be brought up, but after two certain deviants it needs to be brought up. Not as much as usual, but we can blame covid or that.
2. Villains are top notch, no complaints.
3. The writing, sort of mixes OOO and Drive, taking their best elements and merging them into something new.
4. Lots of action, definitely why people come to this.
5. The MC is not wimp, kind of jokey but the guy wins his battles.
6. The secondary protagonists that aren't riders are actually tolerable, that's pretty rare in most rider entries.
7. Unlike Build it actually pulled off the multiple villainous factions schtick decently well and pulled off the political stuff reasonably well.
8. The music is tolerable which is actually saying a lot these days, Kamen Rider hasn't had strong music in a long time (last entry I can remember having a decent OP was Wizard although Drive's was close). On top of that, unlike Ex-Aid, the opening actually occurs in the episodes without being removed for no damn reason.
9. It's pro-technology and man do we need machines to become more advanced than they are now. It feels like tech is so primitive these days. There's that one with the mangaka and "soul" whatever that's supposed to mean, but I never read any manga so I can ignore it.
10. And finally the pacing is actually kind of decent, most episodes have a habit of not feeling slow most of the time, which has been a problem since Ex-Aid's second quarter.

Zero One is based and the kind of based we've desperately needed for a while. Zi-O certainly helped but most of it's successes involved erasing old stains, not only blowing the devil entry the fudge out (although it did a splendid job in the first two episodes). Saber is going to have to be solid in its own right to finally banish the beast into the pit of darkness, but for now it's safe to say Zero One has redeemed Kamen Rider.

I would be careful about making big statements about a show when you're not up to date on it. Judging by the reaction on social media, the last couple of episodes have pissed a lot of people off and I'd suggest at least one of your statements is no longer accurate (and frankly I don't understand you first one anyway because this show has been all about Rider vs Rider ever since Aruto formed his own company).

Most of your other statements come down to personal taste. Personally I was utterly bored to death by the competition arc that took up most of the second quarter, and think Thouser has been a complete waste of screen time.
I think a lot of my thoughts on Zero-One will depend upon how well it sticks the landing with both it's final episode and the inevitable post-season specials.

D

Dr Kain

The last few episodes have pissed people off? I thought the last episodes hav ebeen fucking brilliant!! I haven't been this excited for the final episode since Blade. They have truly made up for the lousy competition crap. Though, I do wish they had actually done something with Naki and whoever the hell the new Zaia CEO is that just came out of nowhere in a similar vein to the Orphenoch Hunters in 555 and the Natives in Kabuto.

BTW, the music to Zero-One is more than tolerable, it's incredible. It's the perfect score for a cyberpunk Kamen Rider series.

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
Yeah, I'm also glad they finally decided to do something with Horobi story-wise. Thouser was ultimately confusing and disappointing. I don't think what they ended up doing with him was the original intention. Still one episode to go, though-- 2 left for me.

By the way, were any of the specials they did necessary to understanding where the hell this Azu came from? I'd heard her mentioned before, but I don't think I ever saw her in a single episode before last week.

Technically she was in the opening sequence all along. Although I believe they've admitted that it wasn't their original intention. They had made some test footage of Izu's actress in a few variations of her costume and really liked a particular shot of her with long hair, so they threw it in even though they later picked the shorter hair as her standard look.

The idea for Azu came along later so we didn't really see her before the pandemic break. Wasn't she also in one of the clip-show episodes during that time, tricking Aruto into revealing his fighting tactics or something?
The last few episodes have pissed people off? I thought the last episodes hav ebeen fucking brilliant!!
For the sake of not spoiling Captain Shark I will try to be vague, but the thing that upset Aruto a couple of episodes ago also upset some fans. I'm not sure if that's just because of shock value, or if they're more of the "muh waifu" section of the fandom.

I agree the show has got better since the competition arc, although the stuff with the Sony Aibo robot dog was a bit "meh" IMO. It looks like they're going to treat the Humagears a lot better than Drive did the Roidmudes, which is good. As I said, I'll just wait to see how it sticks the landing next week (I don't think they are going to pull a Ghost/Ex-Aid and make us wait for the post-season V-Cinemas for the real story conclusion).

R

raden238

I think conceptually Zero-One was really good. It paid homage to the original roots of Rider, while also updating it for modern times. As a show, its alright. I feel like the story was stalling during the Thouser story arc onward. Rider has gotten its own formula now. Every show now has the same tropes and its getting boring. We always have the final boss being an evil Rider, an evil Rider that debuts (Thouser, Gemm, Chase etc..) always turn into a comedic/goofy good guy, the main vs secondary rider feud. Its literally in every show now. I wanted Zero-One to have more drastic changes in the overall tone and narrative of the franchise but clearly Toei is conformable with this formula.

Actually, I've been thinking about it all day & I want to say that the way they did Azu comes off like the intention was to

give the audience a knee-jerk emotional reaction along the lines of "**** off, lady! You're not my mom!" rather than integrate her more smoothly into the story & she may have just been put into the specials as a quick fix to integrate her better.

Also, does anyone else think that
the show started turning into an allegory for the US towards the end?

I just finished 44, by the way, & it was amazing.

D

Dr Kain

Do you mean for BLM? Because that is exactly what I thought off with the protests and the one AIMs dude putting his knee on top of a Humagear.

Yup. Also a virus that, while dangerous, keeps resurging perpetually because of peoples' behavior.

Last edited: