I see some teams definitely choose softsubs, and other adopt hardsubs.
I was wondering what were the pros and cons about soft and hard subs.

I once asked to Tn why they used hard subs, they said its because it prevents people from reusing the subs or stealing them.

However, i keep seeing Tn subs on famous e-stores, and hardsubs dont seem to stop that.

So why choosing softsub or hard sub. Is soft sub definitely better because it can be changed?

Are there other advantages to soft and hard sub?

Lurker
Hardsubs Pros:

Works on every video player, because you don't have to rely on software to be able to display the subs properly.

Finish product is always what the creator intends; fonts, colors, special effects are all in the video.

Use any font you want, as it is rendered when you export the video.

Softsubs Pros:

Can be edited if you don't like the way something was done.

You can disable the subs in programs so you can see the raw footage without the text getting in the way.

A lot faster to create.

I personally don't see the need for flashy text and would like to retain the option of having a raw copy of the show, without having two separate video files. I, however, have never modified a subtitle.

Now Demonic
So if you use a program to turn a Hardsubbed video that's an MKV file to an AVI would the subs still remain on the video?

I am the law
The subs in a Hardsub are encoded into the video that you download. So turning that file into some other format (MKV to AVI in your case) will keep the subs as part of the video.

Now Demonic
The subs in a Hardsub are encoded into the video that you download. So turning that file into some other format (MKV to AVI in your case) will keep the subs as part of the video.

Well thanks, that solves my Over-time MKV problem I've been having with playing subs on my 360.