Friends: Overrated TV show or not?

I don't think Friends started out too bad, but it certainly went downhill when everyone involved thought it was the greatest show ever and the cast became assholes who thought they could do no wrong...especially when they always act the freakin' same in whatever they're in. They weren't funny enough to be making millions per episode, I'll say that.

I love Lucy, The Three Stooges...etc. >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Friends.

The Stooges comparison isn't really fair, though. While their shorts did go on to plague television, they were theatrical comedies. It's basically like comparing Airplane! to Who's the Boss?

Friends > Two and a Half Men
 
Last edited:
Another thing to add: The whole Ross's 1st wife being a lesbo really got old fast. That and the same crap Chandler pulled with his dialogue delivery: ("Could this possibly be.......)

Post their "break", the show became self-centered for a Ross/Rachel thing along with Monica/Chandler's sexcapade adventure. The only positive stuff from the show would have to be Joey and Phoebe. Phoebs lived up to the "dumb blonde" sterotype while Joey was just...'an air-head with a pimp mind".

Even that "much-hyped" finale wasn't all that great. In fact, 90% of the finale was basically resolving a LONG (and I mean LONG) subplot of Ross/Rachel, while 10% had them say sob stories and whatnot.

I'll say this though: At least the Friends finale wasn't "anti-climatic" compared to the other shows *coughSEINFELD*cough.
 
I like Friends. It's not the best show ever, but it's definately a show I think is really funny. I used to hate the show untill I started watching it from the begining. I think that's one of the weird things about the show. To really "get" it, you pretty much have to watch it from the begining. The show just has an insane amount of continuity.

I will admit Ross/Rachel got old.
 
Friends is completely overrated! I don't see how it can top so many "Greatest Sitcoms/TV show list"

It is just one bad joke after another and the whole Ross and Rachel thing just got boring after 1 or 2 seasons.

Back when the Multiple-camera setup sitcoms were the everywhere, most of the people I knew watched and liked Friends when there are cleary better shows like Frasier and Seinfeld.

I remember something Larry David pointed out in an interview with Ricky Gervais. He said that too many sitcoms had just people making jokes left and right. It just didn't seem real that everyone was "funny" yet none of the characters laughed and treated it like normal conversation. And a perfect example of that is Friends.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…