kC
Member
Serious new threat to your feline companions
For all of you cat owners, I just wanted to let you know of the new threat to our beloved pets. I am a Veterinary Technician here in Michigan and we were recently made aware of a new strain of the Feline Calici Virus
Calici virus is a viral disease which causes upper respiratory conditions and has been around for quite sometime, some of you may not have heard a lot about it because it is already included in your cats yearly RCP booster, but know your cat is protected against it. However, this new strain, Feline Virulent Systemic Calici is hardier and much more severe than the regular calici. This strain has been hitting cities all over the country in no particular order or pattern. Recently it has hit in Wisconsin’s Washington County and took out a local shelter, 20 cats have been affected, most of which died because of it, and all adoptions in that shelter have ceased due to the quarintine in place. This is a very serious disease. It spreads quickly. In all the lectures I have attended they all seem to say the same thing, this cats suffer greatly before they pass.
For those of you who are saying “Well my cat is indoor only so I don’t have to worry about this at all.†Well you do. Humans can be carriers of the disease, meaning if you go out and touch any sort of object (ie: stray cat, door knob) you can pass this along to your cat. Like I said it’s very hardy and difficult to remove from the environment.
Symptoms of the Disease
-High Fever
-Edema (swelling) of the face and limbs
-Ulcers in the mouth, throat, and tongue
-Discharge from the eyes and nose
-Crust appearance or fur loss of the face, muzzle, ears and feet
-Depression, Anorexia
I urge you all to take your cats to your local veterinary clinic, ask them about the new calici vaccine, and get your pet vaccinated for it.
More Information
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/8423572.html
http://dvm.adv100.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=408460
I’m sorry this is so long winded. My job is my passion and client education is the key to preventing the spread of disease, also I would hate to see someone’s pet suffer from this terrible disease due to lack of knowledge. Hopefully your veterinarian is up to date on all of this and has already sent you information. If anyone has an questions feel free to ask.
For all of you cat owners, I just wanted to let you know of the new threat to our beloved pets. I am a Veterinary Technician here in Michigan and we were recently made aware of a new strain of the Feline Calici Virus
Calici virus is a viral disease which causes upper respiratory conditions and has been around for quite sometime, some of you may not have heard a lot about it because it is already included in your cats yearly RCP booster, but know your cat is protected against it. However, this new strain, Feline Virulent Systemic Calici is hardier and much more severe than the regular calici. This strain has been hitting cities all over the country in no particular order or pattern. Recently it has hit in Wisconsin’s Washington County and took out a local shelter, 20 cats have been affected, most of which died because of it, and all adoptions in that shelter have ceased due to the quarintine in place. This is a very serious disease. It spreads quickly. In all the lectures I have attended they all seem to say the same thing, this cats suffer greatly before they pass.
For those of you who are saying “Well my cat is indoor only so I don’t have to worry about this at all.†Well you do. Humans can be carriers of the disease, meaning if you go out and touch any sort of object (ie: stray cat, door knob) you can pass this along to your cat. Like I said it’s very hardy and difficult to remove from the environment.
Symptoms of the Disease
-High Fever
-Edema (swelling) of the face and limbs
-Ulcers in the mouth, throat, and tongue
-Discharge from the eyes and nose
-Crust appearance or fur loss of the face, muzzle, ears and feet
-Depression, Anorexia
I urge you all to take your cats to your local veterinary clinic, ask them about the new calici vaccine, and get your pet vaccinated for it.
More Information
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/8423572.html
http://dvm.adv100.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=408460
I’m sorry this is so long winded. My job is my passion and client education is the key to preventing the spread of disease, also I would hate to see someone’s pet suffer from this terrible disease due to lack of knowledge. Hopefully your veterinarian is up to date on all of this and has already sent you information. If anyone has an questions feel free to ask.