Final Fantasy Resonance: Finally, A Fantasy Resonates In HD-2D

The anticipation for a mainline Final Fantasy in HD-2D really does feel electric. Octopath Traveler's art style brought such a vibrant and nostalgic flair, blending the modern and retro in a way that felt fresh. I can't help but wonder how they'll adapt the turn-based combat mechanics to flow seamlessly with the gorgeous visuals.

Given how rich the Final Fantasy lore is, I hope they embrace a darker story akin to FFVI or even a new interpretation of classic elements, like the world map explorations that taught players through discovery. What are you all hoping to see in terms of character development or narrative arcs?
 
I never played Brave Exvius for very long, so I had no idea these characters came from that game. I honestly thought Square was making a completely new Final Fantasy. Even after finding that out, I'm still interested. The HD-2D style has looked good ever since Octopath Traveler, and I always wondered why they never used it for Final Fantasy. Not everything has to chase realistic graphics. Sometimes I just want a traditional adventure with crystals, monsters, and a party going around saving the world. Four months is also a surprisingly short wait. Usually these announcements come years before release. This is probably the most excited I've been for a Final Fantasy project in a while.
 
I know some people are disappointed that this isn't a mainline game, but I don't really care. If the game is fun, it's fun. The idea of seeing Cloud, Lightning, and Noctis in the same game sounds cool to me. I grew up with different Final Fantasy generations, so I like when the series remembers its own history instead of pretending older games don't exist anymore.
 
The Brave Exvius connection is actually what sold me. That mobile game had a better story than many people gave it credit for. A lot of players ignored it because it was attached to gacha mechanics. If they can take that narrative and turn it into a complete console RPG without all the mobile systems, I think it could surprise a lot of people. Rain, Lasswell, and Fina deserve another chance to reach a wider audience. I just hope they don't rush through the character development because the original story took time to build those relationships.
 
I laughed when I read "mysterious warrior trying to destroy the crystals" because Final Fantasy really loves returning to crystals. At this point, it almost feels comforting. I know exactly what kind of journey I'm signing up for. Some people call it repetitive, but I don't mind familiar themes if the execution is good. I actually miss this version of Final Fantasy.
 
My biggest concern is the cameos. I don't want this to turn into a parade of famous characters showing up every twenty minutes just so people can clap because they recognize them. If Cloud and the others have small appearances that fit naturally into the story, that's fine. But I still want Rain and the main cast to be the focus. Nostalgia should support the experience, not replace it.
 
I honestly miss pixel art in RPGs. Developers spent years trying to prove they could make everything bigger and more realistic, but pixel games have their own charm. HD-2D feels like a good middle ground. You still get modern lighting and effects, but the characters keep that classic look. When Square asked what Final Fantasy would look like if it stayed with pixel art, I immediately understood what they meant. That's a question I've had for years.
 
I'm cautiously optimistic. Square Enix has announced plenty of projects that looked amazing in trailers and ended up being just okay for me. The visuals already look like they have the hard part figured out. Now it comes down to pacing, combat, and whether the story can stand on its own. I'm interested, but I'll wait for reviews before buying it on day one.
 
The release date shocked me more than the announcement. These days I expect games to get revealed and then disappear for two or three years. Finding out it's only a few months away was refreshing. It makes me think development is already in a good place instead of being built around hype alone. I wish more companies handled announcements like this.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top