It supposedly wasn't very well received there, so I'm not quite sure it's going to have much impact. It probably even continues to show that military themed productions still aren't doing very well. That level of detail just doesn't seem like it's something Toei's going to attempt anytime soon.

Maybe it hasn't been well received by the movie-going audience at large (very strange -- I thought this would be as huge in Japan as it was in China)... but we already have influential creators like Hideo Kojima, Hideaki Anno, and Naoki Urasawa singing its praises.

So, like in America (where we've seen huge support from writers and directors despite it tanking at the box office), I suspect it will have huge influence on content creators who work in the same genre.

Mark my (highly speculative, uninformed) words: Pacific Rim's influence will be heavily felt in the next Sentai iteration.

Mark my (highly speculative, uninformed) words: Pacific Rim's influence will be heavily felt in the next Sentai iteration.
I think the disappointment with Go-Busters' financial performance will put the brakes on anything (even superficially) remotely similar for a few years yet. If I had to speculate I'd say it's more likely that they'll be inspired by the success of the live action Rurouni Kenshin film and the interest from the Hurricangers 10 Years Later DVD and push for a third ninja-based Sentai.

I think the disappointment with Go-Busters' financial performance will put the brakes on anything (even superficially) remotely similar for a few years yet. If I had to speculate I'd say it's more likely that they'll be inspired by the success of the live action Rurouni Kenshin film and the interest from the Hurricangers 10 Years Later DVD and push for a third ninja-based Sentai.

I think content-wise, you're right. But aesthetically... I'd put money on gyroscope cockpits in the next 3 years. ;)

But y'know, I think you have a point. I really do wonder how they're going to pull sentai out of its ratings slump -- emulating Kenshin seems like a real possibility (but would they do samurai/ninja again so soon after Shinkenger?). I suspect we're gonna get a lot of weird "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" series in the next couple years.

Mad Skillz
The 10 Years After stuff only managed to move about 2,400 copies in the first week, and only coming in at 16th on the sales charts for its first week. This around what the Goseiger v-cinema sold, but I don't think Toei was expecting numbers like that for a reunion thing after so long.

The new action director on Sentai has lead to a bit of an innovation as far as the mecha scenes are concerned, if we do see any changes in the way cockpits are set up, they're not going to be long lasting. Sentai changes so often that something like this would only be done once in a while, if it's done at all.

I think that at least for the next couple of yeas, Sentai is going to attempt to do more toys like Kyoryuger. Loud, in your face toys that grab the attention of kids. Even though Kyoryuger isn't doing too well on TV, its toyline is doing fantastic.

Busters. I love the technical design it had, and how it looked like a legitimate cockpit would for piloting a giant mecha.
Have to agree with this. I really wish, even if they were doofy shows like Kyoryuger, more shows would take this approach. That was just so cool.