Lurker
gokaiger- the cockpit is freaking cool especially their steering wheel
dekaranger- but only the deka base robo cockpit
magiranger- the chess piece looks cool
boukenger..-simple and neat

Lurker
Busters. I love the technical design it had, and how it looked like a legitimate cockpit would for piloting a giant mecha.

Busters. I love the technical design it had, and how it looked like a legitimate cockpit would for piloting a giant mecha.

I liked the cockpit designs for Go-Busters a lot as well, but I was disappointed there was no group-cockpit for any of the combined mecha.

#1 Favorite:
Timeranger - Reminds me of a Mario Bava scifi movie from the 60s. Awesome.

Runners Up:
Gokaiger - Pirate helms? Sold.
Kyoryuger - Love the cockpits where the team stands up and does martial arts. This one is probably the best designed of those.
Magiranger - They all sit in chess pieces? Love it.
Gaoranger - Love how craggy and cavelike it is.
Gingaman - Something about the moody lighting and the Charlie Brown zig-zag background really does it for me.

I like the ones that have a bazillion buttons, levers, gauges and blinking lights :anime: They look more like the control station for a real machine to me. Go-Busters (I got stupidly excited when I noticed that they all had fuel guages), Dekaranger, the individual Voyager Machine cockpits from Megaranger, that early 90s full team cockpit that they used for Fiveman, Jetman and Zyuranger (and possible Turboranger before those - I haven't seen any of that show so I don't know whether Fiveman was the first use of it.) and just redressed it each time. Gokaiger's wasn't bad either because it was at least dramatic when they all started spinning their ship wheels as fast as possible, as if that somehow increased the power of the attack :sweat:

The other two kinds of cockpit are what I think of as the 'Dai/Shinken Type' (where each ranger has some sort of item stood on a pillar in front of them and holds their hand over it or wave their hands around it like they're playing a theremin) and the 'Geki Type' (where they just stand in an empty space throwing punches as if the robot is meant to be copying their actions). I don't like the Dai/Shinken Type as much as the cockpits with proper controls because at that point they might as well just be controlling it with psychic powers. But the Geki Type is probably the one I least care for because my mind can't help but constantly question it - why doesn't the robot falling over cause the room they're in to tip on it's side and leave them standing on the wall? How can they make the robot walk forwards without themselves walking forwards right into their viewscreen? How does the robot know what to do when they're not all doing the exact same thing (and if they are, how are they able to synch so well without saying what they're going to do in advance)?[hide]
tumblr_lqwb2wKk4e1qcud1ho1_500.png
[/hide]

In no particular order:

1. Go-Busters- as said above, this is what a cockpit would look like if one was to pilot a giant mecha in reality.

2. Gokaiger- Pirate Helms! So badass

3. Goseiger- The cockpit was so angelic and clean

4. Boukenger- Nice sleek design

5. Magiranger- very creative with the chessboard

6. Timeranger- Sword consoles? Hell yeah!

7. Gingaman- The lighting and that awesome console

8. Carranger- Looks safe with those awesome seat belts, especially when performing the RV Sword Radical Racing Cut (Turbo Spinout)

9. Kakuranger- Same reason as Gingaman

10. Zyuranger/Jetman- Nice design, plus those seats look comfortable lol

The new Tendou Souji
How does the robot know what to do when they're not all doing the exact same thing (and if they are, how are they able to synch so well without saying what they're going to do in advance)

Simple, it'd be like.. didn't one of the first few Kyoryuger eps. have the team throw a kick and Kyoryujin threw a punch or something? :laugh:

But the Geki Type is probably the one I least care for because my mind can't help but constantly question it - why doesn't the robot falling over cause the room they're in to tip on it's side and leave them standing on the wall? How can they make the robot walk forwards without themselves walking forwards right into their viewscreen? How does the robot know what to do when they're not all doing the exact same thing (and if they are, how are they able to synch so well without saying what they're going to do in advance)?

I love the "Geki Type," partly because it's the most unrealistic and surreal. I always think they were transported into some kind of spacey alternate dimension housed in the mecha's core. Which works for me, cause when they use this style, the power-gimmick is usually supernatural-based instead of scifi-based! :p

But I see why you don't like it. It's patently absurd.

I feel like PACIFIC RIM did a great job of making the "Geki Type" make practical sense. They're suspended in gyroscopes, so they actually can walk without running into a wall. And they're physically plugged into the Jeager's control interface, so it makes sense why their actions control the actions of the robot.

Also... who else thinks that PACIFIC RIM is gonna have a huge influence on Sentai? I think it'll be influential on the level of THE MATRIX. For better or worse, we're going to see about a decade's worth of series that emulate what that movie got right about giant robot fights... probably to the point of tedium. lol

Last edited:
I love the "Geki Type," partly because it's the most unrealistic and surreal. I always think they were transported into some kind of spacey alternate dimension housed in the mecha's core. Which works for me, cause when they use this style, the power-gimmick is usually supernatural-based instead of scifi-based! :p

But I see why you don't like it. It's patently absurd.
Yeah, I've heard the alternate dimension cockpit theory. To me, that just begs the question of why they feel any bumps at all, nevermind why they get hurt when the mech is attacked. I realise it's just me trying to apply logic to Sentai, which never ends well. It's not as if I like a show less for having a cockpit like that. I just remember playing games like Mechwarrior 2 when I was little that were very much in the 'real robot' catagory, and that's my baseline for what cool cockpits are like :sweat:

Mad Skillz
Also... who else thinks that PACIFIC RIM is gonna have a huge influence on Sentai? I think it'll be influential on the level of THE MATRIX. For better or worse, we're going to see about a decade's worth of series that emulate what that movie got right about giant robot fights... probably to the point of tedium. lol

It supposedly wasn't very well received there, so I'm not quite sure it's going to have much impact. It probably even continues to show that military themed productions still aren't doing very well. That level of detail just doesn't seem like it's something Toei's going to attempt anytime soon.

Last edited: