Dragon Ball Z Kai on NickToons this May

Yes, I was gonna mention that, but didn't because I was already rambling on too much :P However, I believe like for anything else in Japan as of late, it will be uncut on the DVDs. Although Funimation may get to either use the TV footage, and if they can't, they'll just edit for TV like they always do. :laugh:

Japanese DVDs and Blu-Rays have been out for a few months now. They're still edited.

http://www.daizex.com/general/reviews/kai_bd_vol1.shtml
Full review of first Blu-Ray.
 
Aw crap...that SUCKS :redface2:

*shrug* Standards in Japan have changed. What was okay for a kids show in the early 90's isn't anymore, so they have to edit the footage. The edits aren't nearly at the level of the old Ocean Dub edits, and are significantly more well done (usually because they just redraw the whole damn scene). I don't necessarily LIKE the fact that it's edited, but it doesn't really hurt the series that much.

I'm more interested in aspect ratios for the US release. In Japan, Kai is shown in cropped 16:9 widescreen on television, as is the DVD release, but the Blu-Ray release is 4:3 fullscreen. Are we gonna get the same setup here? Will the TV release be fullscreen instead? Or will the Blu-Ray release get screwed and all 3 will be widescreen?
 
*shrug* Standards in Japan have changed. What was okay for a kids show in the early 90's isn't anymore, so they have to edit the footage. The edits aren't nearly at the level of the old Ocean Dub edits, and are significantly more well done (usually because they just redraw the whole damn scene). I don't necessarily LIKE the fact that it's edited, but it doesn't really hurt the series that much.

I'm more interested in aspect ratios for the US release. In Japan, Kai is shown in cropped 16:9 widescreen on television, as is the DVD release, but the Blu-Ray release is 4:3 fullscreen. Are we gonna get the same setup here? Will the TV release be fullscreen instead? Or will the Blu-Ray release get screwed and all 3 will be widescreen?

Damn though, normally anime DOES still get uncut releases in Japan :( Also, the manga is bloody too :/

Eh, anyway, it all depends on what they want to do with the release. I believe when we saw the uncut DVDs on Toonami, they were widescreen. But Nick or Funi could just want to make it full screen for TV release. Either wya, the TV release is something that we do not need to worry about, what we need to worry about is the release of the DVDs, and their quality. And the price of them :/ because I believe I saw that the first 13 episodes are gonna be 40 bucks! Just like everything else Funimation has been releasing lately :redface2:
 
Eh, anyway, it all depends on what they want to do with the release. I believe when we saw the uncut DVDs on Toonami, they were widescreen. But Nick or Funi could just want to make it full screen for TV release. Either wya, the TV release is something that we do not need to worry about, what we need to worry about is the release of the DVDs, and their quality. And the price of them :/ because I believe I saw that the first 13 episodes are gonna be 40 bucks! Just like everything else Funimation has been releasing lately :redface2:

Yeah, that pricing makes me a little hesitant about the DVDs. I can get the DragonBoxes for close to that price, with significantly more episodes. Admittedly, considering the difference in pace between Z and Kai, it would still be about the same amount of story.

I'm just hoping Kai ends up getting a streaming release.

Also, early DBZ was bloodier than the manga, surprisingly. The anime version of Goku and Raditz death in particular. It may be "censored" when compared to Z, but that scene in Kai is arguably more "manga-accurate".
 
The commercial is so misleading for those who do not realize that it is basically re-edited and already been out on DVD. Knowing that it has already been out on DVD for awhile not seal the deal it is something that I will not even give a chance to watch.
 
*shrug* Standards in Japan have changed. What was okay for a kids show in the early 90's isn't anymore, so they have to edit the footage. The edits aren't nearly at the level of the old Ocean Dub edits, and are significantly more well done (usually because they just redraw the whole damn scene). I don't necessarily LIKE the fact that it's edited, but it doesn't really hurt the series that much.

I'm more interested in aspect ratios for the US release. In Japan, Kai is shown in cropped 16:9 widescreen on television, as is the DVD release, but the Blu-Ray release is 4:3 fullscreen. Are we gonna get the same setup here? Will the TV release be fullscreen instead? Or will the Blu-Ray release get screwed and all 3 will be widescreen?

Many animes today have tons of blood and nudity ,look at Bleach, Naruto ,Inuyasha, Blood+, Fist of the Sky, Ghost in the Shell series, Samurai Champloo, 009-1, Shin Mazinger, Casshern ,Skullman, Eureka 7 , Death Note ,Claymore ,and Paranoia Agent. Japan as I recall has very lax standards for tv shows for kids as indicated above because many of the shows we consider to be mature are watched by children in Japan. Look at Sentai and Kamen Rider also.

Anyways, why didn't they just reboot Dragonball Brotherhood-style and just start from Chapter 1 onwards with its own twists as well as making the it with a slightly faster pace.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top