Animation Does The Drawing Matter?

I do admit that I'm a big graphic whore. I wouldn't even touch a show or game that has bad graphics/drawing unless it comes with a lot of recommendations. If you like stunning visuals and all that, then I would recommend you try watching animes. They always have a good drawing style compared to western cartoons. Well at least in my opinion.

I am someone that really enjoys cartoons. However there are only select few cartoons that I enjoy and I have figured that part of the reason why I enjoy them so much is because of their drawing styles.

There have been times when I have been bored in the past, and just flicking through the TV channels for something to watch, Sometimes I will stumble across cartoons that I have never sen or watched before, and if the drawing of the cartoon is messy or just no appealing, I will flick over to the next channel. But if the drawing of the cartoon is attractive, I'll watch. I find that the visuals really effect me when it comes to cartoons.

Does anybody else pick and choose which cartons they are going to watch by this method?
The graphics mean a lot to me as well ,but I also like a good story line. I will admit the look does draw me in,and thats why I don't watch much adult swim. I know some cartoons are better on there than others, but you have to admit, some of the graphics are low quality, but I'm sure the story line is good on some of them

The graphics mean a lot to me as well ,but I also like a good story line. I will admit the look does draw me in,and thats why I don't watch much adult swim. I know some cartoons are better on there than others, but you have to admit, some of the graphics are low quality, but I'm sure the story line is good on some of them

Actually, I generally find that there's a fair correlation between good animation and good writing in general.

Taking Adult Swim as an example, just consider the two extremes of The Venture Bros and Squidbillies. The Venture Bros is fantastic in every regard, and you can tell that the people behind it truly care about creating a quality satirical cartoon. Squidbillies, on the other hand, is the worst, cheapest, laziest dreck that one could possibly churn out in every regard. The rest of Cartoon Network's programming falls somewhere between those two extremes, but there generally does seem to be a correlation between having good/bad animation to match good/bad writing.

The only instance of having good writing behind bad animation that I can even think of (off the top of my head) would be South Park, especially in its early years. However, even then one could argue that the crude animation helps create the superficial illusion that it is a fairly dumb rude-and-crude show in the vein of Beavis and Butthead (and even that show did have its moments)--but it actually has fairly sharp, biting satire (especially in its later years) once you get past that crude surface level.

Sometimes it does. There are times when things can be so funny that you can just hear the audio and start cracking up. There are other times when the way the cartoon is drawn really brings it together. It's like a total package of sorts. A lot of the newer cartoons like Adventure Time and Regular Show really thrive because the way they are drawn. I think art style in cartoons was always something that was showcased though.

Story first and then the drawing. There are lots of new cartoons / animes I never dared watch despite the style of the illustration is really good. I often find myself scrolling for releases of a few years old and managing to find something I like or re-watching shows I enjoyed before.

I mostly vote for originality over attractiveness. Sometimes pretty graphics matter to me - at least I want some sort of consistency when it comes to faces - but unless I get a good story, it won't matter in the long run. Maybe that's why I can still be entertained by really old animation. There's plenty of anime moe style where the characters are cutely drawn, but are insipid. The old Sailor Moon series didn't have the best graphics, but the story was entertaining. The remake, Sailor Moon Crystal, had prettier graphics, but the story fell flat. It's the old series I'd watch again, not the new one. Sometimes, the not-pretty visuals help the story along, just as much as the pretty visuals.

I personally always go for the storyline. Most of the cartoons with good story lines have appealing graphics. But if they don't I can't rule them out just yet without knowing what the story was about.

When it comes to cartoons, it is Disney that is tops for me. I don't relish cartoons of one company which I will not name so as not to smear. The animation of Walt Disney cartoons are cool to the eyes which means not lacking but not too much.

A cartoon film needs to have a good graphics. If the graphics is not good, no matter how good a story is, it will never appeal to the audience. There are many cartoon films that do not have good story, however, the graphics in the movie have made them hit. Therefore, drawing is very important.

I never thought of this in much detail, but it is absolutely accurate! I prefer to watch cartoons with previously well designed blueprints and graphics. The overall look and feel of the finished film is always as important as the plot itself....