Doctor Who the Experiment

sc ikaiju

Member
In an open field several people were spread out. A couple in military style uniforms walked extremely broken streets. Others were examining what looked like a building foundation but without the actual building present. Elsewhere a ginger haired male in a dark color jumpsuit was trying to comfort a similarly dressed dark haired woman while trying not to have a breakdown over what he was seeing as well. In the center of all of this was a blue police box. A panel opened inward and out came a dark haired man in grey trousers, a business blazer of the same color over a navy blue jumper. Closing the door behind him he put a grey trilby on his head as he quickly spotted the two young people. Leaning against the box his hearts went out to them. He knew the loss of ones homeworld all too well.

The blue box made a noise that made the man go, “Don’t worry, we’re not keeping them. At least not all of them.” he said while scanning the entire group. The box made another noise, “It’s not like we can just abandon Finn and Kendrix here, now can we?” The man looked at the box when it made a sound that was almost… rude. “You’d be worried about them before too long.”

“Doctor,” one of the military dressed ones said as he came up. The Doctor had to silently admit the man looked far more in place in those UNIT fatigues than he did in the robes he was wearing when he first encountered him.

“Sergeant Elias,” he said in greeting while tipping his hat slightly. “Such a lovely planet.”

“It is,” Elias said as he took position beside the Doctor. “I can see why people would have wanted to settle here.”

The Doctor grunted in agreement as he looked past where Finn and Kendrick currently were and to the horizon. “Sergeant,” he said while still looking out, “would you agree that trust, while hard to gain, is just as easily lost?”

Elias stiffened slightly, almost as if he was expecting this particular moment was coming. To be fair, given the short time they have known each other the man wouldn’t be where he is now if he was that much of a fool, he wouldn’t even be in UNIT. At least the UNIT the Doctor remembered. Still he seemed reluctant to even say, “Yes it is.”

They might as well get this out of the way. “Then please don’t break what trust we have when I ask why are you here?” He started to answer but the Doctor quickly cut him off. “Keep in mind that you told me you have a pick up transponder so I will have no issue gathering up Kendricx and Finn and leaving the lot of you here.”

“The stories said you were observant," Elias said.

“The men you said were here to offer their respects have been doing anything but.” He pointed out one person in particular who was paying more attention to the horizon than the rubble. In fact Kendrick and Finn were the only ones who looked like they were doing that. “I’ve been involved with UNIT and various other military groups to recognize a patrol pattern when I see it. Now granted I could put that down to habit, I have a few of my own in the various lives I’ve lived. But then there,” he trailed off and waved a hand at all the destruction.

“As an official explanation it is pretty weak,” Elias said as he looked around.

“I realized that as soon as I saw all of this. This colony was basically wiped off the face of the planet. The only proof there was anything here are the basements, foundations and what’s left of the roads. This wasn’t pirates, you would need several armadas to cause this much destruction and word not getting out while it’s happening.”

“And a pirate gathering of that size would be noticed,” Elias said. Then he told him, “Unofficially, they don’t know what happened, at first they assumed there was some sort of natural disaster or an explosion of some sort. Then an investigation team was sent in and reported this. I was told to try and see if anything was around that would explain what happened.”

The Doctor nodded, extremely glad Elias told him that. “I will wish you luck there Elias. If there was anything still intact that would explain what happened would be a miracle. And I don’t believe in miracles.”

“Don’t I know it,” Elias said. “Part of me is wondering if there’s some sort of secret chamber or something here. It’s a long shot and I’ll admit that is me grasping at straws.”

“That thought occurred to me as well,” the Doctor said “In fact I already did a brief scan, piggybacking off the usual scan the TARDIS does when it lands. I didn’t find anything out of the ordinary.”

“Well this is my problem now,” Elias told him. “So if you want to gather up Finn and Kendrick, go right ahead. Me and the boys are prepared to stay here for as long as necessary.”

“And not know what happened here?”, the Doctor said as he stood away from the TARDIS, hands in pockets. “How would I be able to sleep at night? Besides I’m not sure those two are ready just yet, come along Sergeant.” Elias looked on with a cocked eyebrow before eventually following the Doctor.

***
How could this have happened? This was the only thought that swam in Kendrix’s head as she sat there. Oh she was aware that her long time friend Finn was nearby, and deep down she knew he was hurting too. But this was her one goal for so long, to get home. And there was nothing left. How could this have happened? When she finally felt like she could say anything all she could manage was a pathetic, “It’s not fair.” Finn started immediately rubbing her shoulder.

“No it’s not,” she turned to find the Doctor standing there.

“Look Doctor,” Finn said stepping up to him, "Maybe now is not the best time.”

“Can you fix this?”, Kendrix practically pushed Finn out of the way to face him. “Can you use your time machine and fix this?” When he hesitated she practically exploded in his face, “You’re the almighty Time Lord, do something.”

“I can’t,” he softly said. Throwing up her arm she walked away but not very far. He continued, “Because if I fix it then it happens anyway.” She looked back at him.

Finn asked,” What do you mean it’ll happen anyway. You go back and stop this from happening then it doesn’t happen.”

“It’s not that simple,” the Doctor told him. To both of them he said. “I go back and stop this travesty, you'll still be on Skarold. Things won’t change there. But as soon as I bring you back here, everything is fine and dandy. There’s no reason for me to go back in time and stop anything.”

“Then this would happen all over again,” Finn said looking around,

Kendrix wouldn’t believe that, couldn't believe that. This man was a Time Lord, everybody knew they could control time as they saw fit. He had to fix this, he just had to.

“We would be stuck in a loop,” the Doctor went on. “Believe me, if I was here at the time I would have done everything in my power to make sure this doesn’t happen. But I wasn’t and going back and stopping this destruction isn’t going to change anything, not in the long run.”

“You could find out who did this,” Finn said. “Stop them from heading this way.”

“I could do that,” he admitted. “If I knew who they were. But chances are likely this,” he motioned at the area around them, “happens to somebody else.”

“You stopped Daleks,” Kendrix snapped. “Whover ever did…did this can’t be any worse.”

“No, they’re probably not. But Kendrix, I have changed timelines,” the Doctor told her, “On a small scale, relatively speaking. Just changing things on this scale,” he started shaking his head, “There will be ripple effects and repercussions I don’t think you understand. Everything could fall apart.”

“I don’t care,” she said walking away, “I just want my home back.”

“Hey!” Elias called out from the top of a hill, pointing behind him. “Doctor, you got to see this.” The Doctor hurried over. Finn was looking at her. She stormed past him after the Doctor. This was her home, she deserved to know what was happening.

“Kendrix,” Elias said, trying to get in her way, “maybe you shouldn’t.” She went right past him. “I…” She stopped in her tracks as soon as she reached the top. In front of all of them was a massive graveyard, stretching out as far as the eye could see.. A few yards in front of them the Doctor slowly turned around to look at them,

“This wasn’t here,” Finn said. Kendrix choked back a sob at the sight. “Maybe we should head back.”

“No,” she said firmly. Forcing her legs to move she went down the hill with Finn in tow. The Doctor waited for them to reach his location before continuing down toward the grave yard.

The Doctor, Elias, Finn and herself all ended up taking different rows. Nothing was talked about, nothing planned, it was just something that happened. Finn stopped at one point and dropped to a knee at one particular grave. “I knew this person, he always had snacks for us on the way to school.” Kendrix said nothing despite recognizing several names as she passed them, just crossing her arms in response to the chill she was suddenly feeling.

A few rows over she heard the Doctor’s sonic screwdriver and that made both of them look over at him. He was scanning a grave with it, soon looking over the results he was seeing. “Doctor?”, she started to ask but was afraid to say the question out loud.

“There’s a body,” he answered anyway. “This isn’t some fake prop. I was actually hoping that there was somebody sick enough to actually do it on this scale.”

“I don’t understand,” Elias said as he looked around. “The investigation team said nothing like this even existed. Why is this here?”

“A better question,” the Doctor said, kneeling by a random grave, “Is who did this? I can easily believe your investigation team burying everybody they found out of respect and not reporting it for the same reason. But there is not one unnamed grave that I can see, I can’t imagine your team being able to identify everyone.”

“It had to be somebody who lived here,” Kendrix said, hope starting to rise again. “There are survivors.”

“Hopefully,” Elias told her. “We were on Skarold for a long time.”

Finn spoke up, “It’s the only thing that makes any sort of sense. Who else is going to do this? The bastards who did this? They suddenly feel remorseful and decide to honor our dead?”

“You have to think logically Finn,” the Doctor told him. “Yes, somebody who lived here probably did this but what are they going to survive on?”

“There has to be something,” Kendrix shot back. “We know this planet better than either of you. We know what’s edible and what’s not. Planetary surveys are available to anybody. There are ways to survive here.”

“Unfortunately that record building doesn't exist anymore,” Elias pointed out.

“That doesn’t mean somebody hasn’t memorized it enough to know where any hiding spots are,” the Doctor said. “We should head back, make a base camp.”

“Good idea,” Elias said. “We can plan out what we do from there. Being the local experts,” somehow Elias said that without sounding condescending like most people would have, “hopefully you two can remember some possible hiding spots and we can go from there.”

“A plan it is then,” the Doctor said. They started off but then she grabbed onto the Doctor’s arm to stop him. “What is it?”

“I’m sorry,” she said, “I shouldn’t have said what I said.”

“There’s no need to apologize. I lost my home too. I know that pain all too well. Actually, I’d be worried if you weren’t lashing out. It’s all perfectly healthy.” She should have been happy, at least smiled at what he was saying but she couldn’t, not now. Wrapping an arm around her and Finn they followed Elias back up the hill.

***
In a darkened room in front of several monitors a lone humanoid sat watching. To any one he looked human enough but he wasn’t. Studying the screens intently a light flashing from one immediately caught his attention. “What do we have here?”, he asked while typing a command on the board in front of him. In less than a moment the image from that particular screen appeared on the monitor directly in front of him.

“Where did you come from?” On the screen were several individuals. Ones who should not be here. How a couple were dressed made him sit up straighter. Grabbing a head set he put the receiver to his ear while making sure the microphone was by his mouth. “This is station three. Reporting unknown people in sector delta.”

“Where did they come from?” Came the reply question, like he knew the answer. “There have been no reports of any ships in the area and we already scoured any subterranean cavern for any signs of life.”

“I’m aware of that but have at least five on my monitor at the moment. At least two look to be full military. Two could be based on the way they’re dressed, and the fifth just looks like an outsider. Almost civilian like.”

“If it’s some sort of military exercise than that one might be an observer. Keep an eye on them. I’ll relay the information to the commander.”

“Understood, I’ll report if there is any changes.” Putting down the headset he started turning fails and pushing buttons on the board. “Let’s see if we can figure out where you came from,” he said to himself. Figuring out the direction the group he spotted was going he sent the probe further along on that projected path. Soon enough he located some more in part of the ruins. There was no sign of a craft that he could see. Although he did spot some sort of strange box that wasn’t in the records from previous surveys that had been done. “Probably some sort of communication device. Better mark it for destruction after they’re dealt with.”

***
That night Elias had his men make camp out in the open, not like there were a lot of options for any sort of shelter. The Doctor offered his TARDIS but Elias had politely declined. As it was he had a couple of his men patrolling the premier as the rest took spots around a heat lantern. All except Kendrix who sat on a rock away from the rest and continued to look out at what was left of her home

Without excusing himself the Doctor left the group and walked over to her. Standing a close but still respectful distance away he waited for her to acknowledge his presence. After several moments she kept on looking out. “Mind if I join you?”, he asked. She just shrugged and moved over slightly.

Removing his hat as he sat next to her he looked out with her. Eventually she said, “There’s nothing here anymore. Everybody’s gone.”

“Nobody is ever truly gone,” he said, “not completely. I used to travel with a young woman named Victoria, lovely girl. She lost her family too. I told her something similar.”

“How did she handle it?”, Kendrix asked.

“She put up a brave front but she was hurting on the inside. I told her how I dealt with it, as far as missing my family. I told her they were sleeping, in the back of my mind. And they would wake up when I wanted to remember them.”

“Does it work?”

“Sometimes,” he admitted. “But sometimes, sometimes I just can’t.” Lowering his head he told her, “Some pain never goes away, it gets smaller, more manageable but it never leaves. I wish I knew that when I said that to Victoria. Some things have to be learned the hard way,” he sighed deeply.

“I lost everybody,” she said as the tears started to fall. “I don’t have anyone now.” The Doctor put an arm around her and held her close as she cried

After a few moments he started rubbing her arm, “Now, now. You haven’t lost everybody, you still have Finn over there. You have friends and people who are like family back on Skatold, if you want to go back there. You have family back on Earth.”

She sniffed a bit, “I never met them.” Searching his pockets with his free hand the Doctor found a handkerchief, at least he hoped that it was one, and he offered it to her. She took and wiped her eyes before handing it back.

“Doesn’t mean they don’t know about you,” he told her. “And I’m sure they would be more than delighted that you survived.”

“I don’t know,” she said after getting herself under control.

“You don’t have to make the decision right now. Think it over a bit before deciding one way or another. But do you want to know what? I’ve learned of at least one thing that helps ease that pain, a night with friends, laughing around a fire.” They both looked back at the others.

“That’s a heat lamp,” she said.

“Hmm,” he grunted. “It’s an electrical type of fire, still counts.” Despite herself she grinned and joined the Doctor as he headed back over to the others.

***
The next morning, The Doctor and Elias were studying a crude map that was drawn into the ground. Not that far off Kendrix and Finn were trying to remember what was where in order to help pinpoint those potential caverns. “I’m telling you,” Finn said pointing in a particular direction,” the administration building was right over there. I completely remember that mountain range being right behind it.”

“Finn,” she shot back, “the building was set up so the sun rose up from the east. To see that mountain range it would come up from the west. And the mountain range looks almost exactly the same as the one over there.”


Overhearing them Elias just sighed a bit while he commented, “I don’t suppose I can talk you into taking a trip back just to settle that disagreement?”

The Doctor chuckled at the thought, “Tempting, but if I’ve learned anything is you can go anywhere in this universe and ask a random number of locals directions to anywhere.”

“Let me guess,” Elias cut in, “You’ll get the same number of different answers.”

“You’ve experienced it I see,” the Doctor “A fascinating phenomenon, you would think there would be a more general description in a large metropolis. Then again there is memory and the shock of seeing your home annihilated.”

“I guess it would,” Elias agreed. He looked over when he noticed one of his men coming toward them. “What is it?”

This person didn’t say anything until he was standing with them. “We spotted some sort of drone in the sky, several of them. They’re all hovering around our location.” The Doctor stood up and stretched, an act to spot those very probes.

“I’m counting at least four,” he told Elias while continuing to look like he was stretching. “There might be more.”

“Understood,” Eias told both of them, obviously fighting the urge to look for himself. “Set up stations to keep an eye on them for now.”

“Yes sir,” the man said. “But shouldn’t we shoot one down, examine it to see who it belongs to.”

“I wouldn’t,” the Doctor said casually. “Currently whomever is controlling those drones doesn’t know we know about them. Shooting one down would change that.”

“And we can’t assume they’re friendly, and right now that’s the only advantage we have. Still it would be nice to know who’s spying on us.”

“There might be a way,” the Doctor said thinking it over, “but it’s going to be tricky.”

Kendrix and Finn came running over, “Doctor in the sky…!”

“We know,” Elias told them. “Don’t point at them. “You said you had an idea Doctor, What is it?”

“”Well Elias, you, me and Finn are going for a little stroll to the graveyard over there.”

“Wait, what about me?”, Kendrix cried out.

“You keep remembering where things were,” the Doctor told her. “The more details we have the better we can locate things. That is really important if we want to figure out what happened here. You,” he pointed toward the guard, “escort her around the area and mark down anything she can remember. Come along you two,” he said to Finn and Elias.

“Sir?”, the UNIT soldier said to Elias.

“You heard him,” was all he had to say before following the Doctor and Finn.

“Come along,” he said to Kendrix. “I think I saw what was left of a street sign this way.

“That will be helpful,” Kendrix told him as they went in the direction he indicated.

***
Passing over the top of the hill both Finn and Elias still stopped at the sight, neither able to comprehend the sheer size of the graveyard in front of them. Even seeing it a second time didn’t help. Finn was the first to notice that the Doctor, with hands firmly in his pants pockets, just kept on going. Shaking his head he jogged to catch up with the Time Lord. The other man barely acknowledged his presence as he continued walking. Finally Finn asked, “What are we doing out here?”

“Primarely,” he reached down to grab some grass and gently let it sprinkle from his fingers and watched them fall, “I’m hoping to perform a little experiment. But more importantly, I’m hoping to find out what you’re doing.”

“I’m surprised you care,” Finn said a little bitterly.

“Finn, I know the loss of one's home all too well,” the Doctor told him as they kept walking. “And I know the look of a brave front when I see one.”

“Somebody has to look out for Kendrix,” was all he could think to say, no matter how flimsy it sounded to him.

“And I would agree,” the Doctor said. “ but I get the feeling she wouldn’t, but we all handle grief differently. But even the one who’s trying to be the rock, well eventually even they are going to want a shoulder to cry on.”

“You lost your home?”, he asked. The Doctor simply nodded. “Do you hate the ones who did it?”

Here the Doctor stopped walking, almost look like he was smirking for a moment before facing him and saying. “Pretty much every day since it happened.”

“Do you think you’ll ever start to forgive them?”

“Interesting question,” the Doctor mused. “Can you forgive the ones who did something so heinous?” He looked around at the grave yard they were now in. “I’ll be honest, in the first few moments it doesn’t seem possible, especially in the face of it all. But that much hate, no matter how justified it feels at first, how right you want it to be in the end. That much hate, it will eat you away faster than any disease you can think of.”

“So you were able to forgive the ones who destroyed your word?”

“One,” the Doctor corrected him sadly, “One person destroyed my world. Forgiveness is not a fast process Finn. It’s slow and tedious, boy is it tedious, but letting go of that anger, it’s necessary sometimes.”

“How did you start?”, Finn asked him. “I mean letting go of the anger?”

“It started when I was finally able to look at my reflection in a mirror. I never did thank Rose for that,” he mused. Finn was confused by his answer but the Doctor said, “Now let Elias catch up so we can see if that little experiment shows some results.” They stood there and waited for the UNIT Sergeant to walk over to them. “What’s the word Sergeant? Hopefully a good one, it would be terrible if it wasn’t.”

“Just got word from the spotters,” he said. “One broke away and is following us.”

“Excellent,” the Doctor said, happily enough. “Don’t look up,” he said mainly to Finn when he started to do so. “Now comes the hard part.” Reaching into his coat he retrieved his sonic screwdriver. Twisting the dial on the bottom of the handle he asked, “Can you remove that earpiece without the probe seeing?” Before waiting for an answer he started walking off again, Finn and Elias taking a moment before realizing what he was doing.

Adjusting his collar a bit, a deft hand movement knocked the piece from his ear, “Done.”

“Doctor,” what’s going on?”, Finn asked. “This feels like you’re going to do something stupid.”

“Stupid?”, the Doctor looked at him in disbelief, “Stupid? It’s a calculated risk. Stupid, why I never…” He stopped messing with the dial and held the screwdriver properly and pressed down on the ring. The screwdriver made a high pitched electronic twill.

After a moment Elias’ ear piece started to spark causing him to try to get his head away, “Whoa!”

“Look!”, Finn said pointing as that probe following them started to wobble in the air before it crashed to the ground. “Now what? Huh?”, he went as the Doctor rushed past the both of them.

“Stand back!”, he called out when they started following him. He was twisting the dial again as he ran toward the pod. Once he was close enough he passed the screwdriver over it once before quickly backpeddling. Only when the probe started to take off again did he stop, then slowly took a few steps forward while holding up a hand to keep the two of them back. They all watched as the drone hovered there momentarily, looking in their direction before turning and flying off. Once it was out of sight the Doctor immediately checked his screwdriver. “Now I wish this wasn’t an older model, I could get the detailed results right now.”

“I thought the idea was to not let them know we knew we were being watched?”, Elias said after the two of them rushed over.

“Wait,” Finn went looking between the two of them, “we were doing what now?”

“No technology, no matter how advanced,” came his answer, “Is completely foolproof. There has to be the occasional malfunction.”

“Well that’s a given,” Finn agreed with that point of what he was saying. “But can we go back to what Elias was saying about not letting them know we were aware of those probes. That sounded pretty important.”

“And it is,” the Doctor agreed. “But that was in response to actively shooting one down. But, if one of those probes just happens to have a malfunction, then that’s just poor timing.”

“But it saw us looking at it,” Elias shot back.

“They saw three individuals curious about what fell from the sky, nothing more.” Almost silently he added, “Hopefully.”

“Whoever is behind those probes is going to react after they see we’ve seen it,” he pointed out.

“Imagine how bad their response would have been if we actively shot one down,” he countered. “Now we have a slim window while they figure out what to do with us. Let’s get back to camp, I need to study these readings in the TARDIS.”

“That’s a hell of a chance Doctor,” Elias told him.

“What’s life without a few chances?”, the Doctor asked as he led the way. “Boring that’s what it is.”

Before following the man Finn looked at Elias. “Those stories you mentioned, they say anything about that?”

“Yup,” was all the answer he got from Elias as he checked his communication gear. “Right now I’m hoping one of mine saw that probe crash and take back off. We’re going to have to increase our watch somehow.”

“If you need an extra set of eyes I volunteer" Fin told him. Elias just looked at him for a moment before following the Doctor. Finn looked in the direction the probe went. “Hey,” he said, finally moving, “do you think that probe returned directly to base? Nah,” he said to himself, “that would be stupid.”

***
“Commander,” a human-like person in some sort of military gear strode over to someone slightly older than him wearing dark clothes. He stood there a moment, waiting to be acknowledged. The wait wasn't long.

“What is it?”

“A new report from sector three. One of the probes went down while following the aliens that was spotted earlier.”

Taking the report the other person held out the commander started glancing over it. “What’s the status of the probe? Is it in their hands?”

“Our agent in sector three was able to get it going again. “Unfortunately we have images of the aliens looking at it right before it flew off.”

“A curious bunch,” the Commander mused before putting the report down. “Unfortunate for them. They will have to be dealt with now.”

“I’ll have the guards form an eradicating force immediately.”

“No,” the commander suddenly said.

“Sir?”, the other one went, feeling confused.

“That experiment we’ve been doing since we’ve been here. This feels like the perfect opportunity to test the results so far. Get a small sampling ready, make sure homing and retrieval restraints are fully applied. We can’t chance one getting away.”

“I’ll do it immediately,” came the response.

As he left the Commander picked up the report again. This time he studied it a little more closely. And this time he spotted something particular. Right before the probe went down it briefly recorded some sort of sonic signal. “Why wasn’t this flagged?”, he demanded but nobody was in the room with him to hear it. “We were told to look for something like sonic interference.” Pressing a button by his side he barked, “Get me the most recent reports from sector three. I mean everything!” Releasing the button before getting a response he looked back at the report in his hand. Heads were going to roll if this was who he thought it was.

***
The sun was starting to set as they set up for the night. While Elias was giving his patrol units some extra instructions, after getting a replacement earpiece for the one he unfortunately fried earlier, another was setting up some more of those heat lamps for the camp. Close by, sitting on what looked to be a bench, well it might have been a bench in a previous life, the Doctor again offered, “My TARDIS is right there. I don’t mind, really.”

The soldier just smiled as he continued working on the lamp. “Believe me sir,” the Doctor started to say something but the UNIT trooper quickly corrected himself, “Sorry, Doctor. But we all appreciate the offer, we really do. But most of our time is spent on the Leathbridge-Strewart. We don't get a lot of opportunities to sleep under the night sky.”

“You’re surrounded by the night sky all the time,” the Doctor told him. Then he looked up at the sky, with the setting sun a few points of twinkling light were starting to appear. “But I can understand the appeal, fresh air and all. But the offer still stands.”

“Unless the Sargent says otherwise I'm pretty sure it’ll stay standing.”

“Doctor,” Finn said coming up to him, “can I talk to you about something.”

“Of course, I’ll talk to anybody.”

Before Finn could really say anything else Kendrix and the trooper with her came walking over. “I’m starting to think you were right Finn,” she started. “ The admin building was in that direction.”

Elias soon joined them, “Guards are posted. They should be wearing their night vision goggles, so we shouldn’t get surprised once it gets dark.”

To the side Finn started to walk away. The Doctor stopped him, “Didn’t you want to talk about something?”

“It wasn’t important,” he quickly said.

“Seemed important enough to ask if we could talk. Come on, all friends here, no need to be embarrassed. Not unless you were planning on revealing you had a crush on somebody here.” He had said it with a smirk. Then the Doctor looked around at the group and quickly lost it. “I really need to learn how to stop talking, never really mastered it you know.”

“No, no,” Finn quickly told him and the group. “But in the graveyard over, you were making it sound like you were the one who destroyed your home world.” The others looked at each other before staring right at him.

Tilting his hat back a bit he looked up at the darkening sky for a bit before looking back at them. “That’s because I did. Well, that was what I thought at first at least.”

“Why would,” Elias started to say but couldn’t finish the question

“The time war,” the Doctor began. “In the beginning of it I tried to stay out of it, tried to help save who I could. But eventually I was forced to realize I couldn’t stay out of it, the Daleks and my people were destroying everything in order to win. At the time I was still naive enough to believe I could get them to change how they were doing things.”

“They didn’t listen to you?”, Kendrix asked him as more and more sat down with the group.

“A few did,” he said thinking back to that moment, removed his hat and turned it around in his hands. “And by few I barely mean a handful. The war changed them, as war tends to do. Not everybody mind you. But corruption might go up from the bottom, when it starts at the top it goes down a whole lot faster.”

“What happened?”, Kendrix looked afraid to ask.

“A full on dalek invasion of Gallifrey,” he said sadly. “They were going to end the war one way or another. Unfortunately the high council was going to do the same thing. Both sides were going to destroy all of time and space just to eliminate the other. I told myself no more.

“So in order to save all of existence I had to end the war. And to do that I had to eliminate both threats. There was this device, once activated it would destroy both the Daleks and my people,” he took a deep breath before adding, “and I used it, at least I thought, at the time.” He looked at the others, “tTme travel shenanigans. But at the time I was certain I destroyed my people and the Daleks. Then the Daleks came back.”

“That couldn’t have been a fun feeling,” the one working on the heat lamp spoke up.

“It was definitely a punch in the gut,” the Doctor admitted. ‘But I found out later that a couple versions of me were able to save Gallifrey, but just made it look like it was destroyed. I still thought I killed everyone, and things still played out like they were meant to.”

“I guess something like that isn’t possible here,” Kendrix said, dropping onto a nearby rock.

“It was a one in a trillion chance that it would have worked. Because the only other option was burning, and I had already seen that,” he added darkly. “But it was an option I had to take. Even then it took all the lives I had lived at that moment, plus one more with those attack eyebrows I had,” he chuckled although none of the others knew why. “But at the time it had taken thirteen of me to actually pull it off.”

“Always heard that was an unlucky number,” one of the troopers ended up saying. They all looked up to see pretty much the entire troop, as small as it was, standing around.

“I thought I told you to keep watch of the surroundings,” Elias said sternly.

“We think we spotted a craft of some sort land to our left a few clicks out,” he said. It’s just far enough away to not be able to make out. I didn't trust that our radios weren't being monitored. So I motioned for the rest to come in, at least look like we're getting some chow.”

“That was probably the right call,” Elias told him. “Might as well make it look good. Unless anybody has something ready to actually cook,” he gestured toward the lamp, “you better start breaking out the rations.’

“I have a supply of,” the Doctor started to say.

“No offence Doctor but the less they know of what we have the better at this point. Rations will do just fine.” The Doctor made a face, just remembering the taste from the previous night, but dropped the issue.

***
The ship that was spotted landed with it’s back loading ramp pointed in the direction of the camp they had discovered. Near the back of the blocky looking ship a person in black military-like gear watched the people in the camp through a pair of binoculars. He was too far away to make out any faces but he didn’t need to know what they looked like. They would know soon enough after this was over.

Another came down from a side ramp and asked, “what are they doing?”

Zooming in a bit he thought it looked like they were putting something to their mouths. Given the time of day he felt confident enough to utter his speculation out loud, “Looks like dinner.” Scanning around the area he soon said, “I see at least two guards patrolling the grounds.”

“The count we had was around eight people or so. We brought twelve of those things with us. Should be plenty to take care of them.”

“Some of them look armed,” he said lowering the binoculars. “They’ll put up a fight.”

“Let them,” said the other. “The Commander is just looking for test data at this point. Any survivors will be taken care of. Now come on, let's get back on board and let these things out and get out of here.”

“No argument here,” he said while following the other man up the side ramp. After retracting it he went to the rear cargo hold and pressed a button there. “It’ll be dark by the time these things make the camp anyway.”

The back of the craft opened as the rear loading ramp started to lower. Various growl and howls could be heard the more it lowered.

***
Night had fallen as the Doctor walked out of the TARDIS, closing the door behind him. Looking at the sonic screwdriver in his hand, he sighed and rejoined the others around the electric heater. Elias looked at him for a moment before saying, “Any luck identifying that drone?”

“Not really,” the Doctor said staring at the light from the lamp.

“You don’t recognize it or something?”, Finn asked.

The Doctor looked up and told him, “Just the opposite. I was able to recognize every electronic piece in that drone. Unfortunately that drones internals are so generic it could be from anywhere. And anywhere only narrows it down to, oh just the general galaxy.”

“Sounds like a rough one,” Kendrix commented.

“Looks like we have to start making some assumptions about our neighbors then,” Elias said.

“I don’t like making assumptions without facts,” the Doctor told him.

“I understand Doctor, but at this point we have to assume they’re hostile. Possibly even responsible for what happened here.”

“They could be just as wary about us?”, the Doctor countered. “But unfortunately your theory has some merit. Friendly neighbors would have introduced themselves by now instead of parking so far away. At least send a welcome basket or something.”

“Sargeant,” someone called out. “Sensors are picking up movement,”

“I had the men set up some sensors earlier in case our neighbors decided to pay us a visit, particularly if it was at night where we couldn’t see them coming.” Some kind of distant howl filled the air. All of them reacted to the sound.

“Does anybody know what direction that came from?”, Elias called out.

“It sounded like it was coming from that direction,” another called out. “Where we saw that ship land earlier.”

“What are the odds they’re related?”, another asked.

“Picking up hits now,” the man who reported the sensor hit earlier reported. “At least five incoming.”

“Kendrix, Finn!”, the Doctor called out. “What kind of native wildlife did you have around here?”

“Nothing that sounded like that,” Kendrix answered as the group circled up out of instinct, looking out.

“I was afraid you were going to say that,” he muttered. “When I give the word I want you two to head for the TARDIS, you’ll be safe inside.”

“What about you?”, Fin asked while his head kept swinging around looking for the danger.

“I can take care of myself,” the Doctor informed them. “Elias, I want to try to take one of the creatures alive.”

“For God sakes why?”

“Electronic pieces can be generic, animals can not. I can study it and narrow things down from anywhere in the galaxy to at least a system if not a planet. Then we can figure out who our neighbors are quicker.”

“You can do that just as easily with a corpse,” a soldier said.

“I said alive,” I said alive the Doctor pretty much ordered. His tone pretty much saying he wasn’t going to hear any sort of argument

Still hearing this from a non military person the soldier went, “Sergeant I protest.”

“Noted,” Elias told him. “But if you wanted a simple solution to everything you shouldn’t have joined UNIT. Are we good with some warning shoes to try and scare them off?

“I‘d rather capture one but that’s acceptable,” the Doctor conceded.

“Here they come!”

“Aim high!” Elias ordered. They all raised their aim slightly and fired above whatever was incoming’s head. There was a pause where nobody heard anything. Elias motioned to the man to his left, who nodded. In silence he switched on the light on his weapon and started swinging it around, slowly. During the sweep something flashed, like a couple of eyes, that shot forward as soon as it did.

“There!,” the man shouted and pulled the trigger at the same time there was a cry out in pain as four more things came at them from different directions. The UNIT soldiers didn’t have time to bring their weapons to bear at the rush and struggled to keep the attackers at arms length with their weapons being used as shields.

“Doctor,” Kendrix said at his side, “we got to do something.”

He had his screwdriver in his hand and was adjusting the dial, “Way ahead of you.” Getting the setting he wanted he held it over his head. “Sorry in advance for the pain,” he depressed the ring trigger and almost immediately Kendrix and Finn grabbed their ears as the Doctor winced in pain as it felt like a sonic pick going through his head. The Unit soldiers dropped their weapons as soon as their attackers clutched their heads and ran away. The Doctor kept it going for a few more seconds before finally letting go and the sound stopped. “Is everybody okay?”

“I’m surprised I’m not deaf,” Elias snapped. “Did anyone get a good look at what attacked us?”

Smacking the side of his head one of them replied,” Not really it happened so fast. All I saw for sure was teeth.”

“I think I winged the one,” the soldier who still had the light on said. “It might still be out there. I’m pretty sure I got it in a limb, it wasn't a kill shot.”

“Let’s find out,” the Doctor said,” you lead the way.” Elias, Kendrix, Finn and a couple of others joined the two of them. Soon they found the source of those eyes. It sat there, blood streaming down an arm, but still it growled and snapped at them.

“Holy,” somebody said.

“Doctor?”, Kendrix asked in confusion. Finn and Elias were both as confused as she was.

“Oh my,” the Doctor muttered. “I don’t mean to sound facetious but I might have narrowed down the species.” The face was filthy, and the figure was bald with grey hair around his head. But this vicious “creature” was most definitely human.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for taking so long to update this but for some reason the board wouldn't let me post part 2. I've tried a few times, even though it still letting me post chapter for my Aegis fic. So I'm going to post a link to part two (honestly I should have done this awhile ago, again sorry) and see what happens from there.

 
“Activating Weapon systems.” On the screen a targeting reticle appeared hovering over each member of the motley crew on it. Studying each person intently the Commander focused on one of them in particular.

“That one has to be the Doctor, remember to shoot twice to make sure he stays deaf.” The image zoomed in on the man he thought to be the Doctor. As the Commander raised his hand, his mouth went dry as the reticule flashed. If this shot missed, their benefactor had warned them about how the Doctor reacts to being shot at. He started to open his mouth. He stayed in the position a moment too long, long enough that others started glancing at him. He was only one man, he constantly told himself.

“:Sir?”, the man at the drone controls went. The Doctor was right there, all he had to do was give the order. Than an order from their leader re entered his mind. Slowly he lowered his hand without giving any order whatsoever, "Commander?"

“The benefactor has said the Doctor is a genius ,correct?” was his response. Everyone looked at each other. “Keep them under watch,” he ordered. “I was told it was up to me how to handle the situation. If he is as brilliant as claimed then he would be a beneficial ally.”

“Cimmander,” somebody was brave enough to speak up. Although he did glance at the window overlooking the previous watcher of sector three had his last moments. “That is too much of a risk, we have been told how dangerous this man is.”

“Yes, told,” he said. “Stories can be exaggerated,”"If the stories of his intellect are true,” he sat down at his desk and studied the Doctor's image on screen. “If they are true, then the man can be resonated with. We just have to show him the facts, of our cause, how out numbered he truly is. Whatever it takes to show him he’s on the wrong side of things. If not, then we will have the pleasure of exterminating in range of our own eyes, to make sure he is truly dead. “One more glance at the screen he added ,”And send a small troop to retrieve that one.That experiment is our property after all.” Yes, trying to convince the Doctor to join them was the plan, the idea planted in their minds about how dangerous he is had nothing to do with that decision.

***
The walked for a few hours following with the Doctor pretty much leading the way, while still fiddling with the device he had created. “Why does it seem like the source is moving slightly?”, he said to no one in particular. It should be a straight line.” Feeling somebody next to him he looked down to see Fred looking up at him. “I don’t suppose you recall seeing a particular big drone flying around wherever they were keeping you?” His only answer was a confused look and a tilted head. “No I suppose not.” the Doctor sighed and then proceeded to walk over to a nearby boulder and promptly sat down balancing the device on his lap.

As he started rummaging through his pockets Elias looked annoyed but said, “This looks like as good a spot as any to take a break.” In the Doctor’s direction he added, “A short one.”

“Sleeping on the enemy's door step,” he said while working on the device, “I remember.”

“I wonder how far away this base is?”, Kendrix went as they huddled around the rock the Doctor was sitting on. Fred, noticeably, was positioning himself closer to Kendrix than anybody.

“Probably nowhere close,” Elias said as he exclaimed a plant. “I’m fairly sure we would have ran across more patrols than one we have.”

“Unless they’re relying on those drones,’ Kendrix countered.

“I think I spotted one following us,” Finn spoke up. “It might still be back there.”

“I think I spotted a group coming our way before they changed course,” Elias told him. “Kendrix, you studied botany back on Skarold right?”

“Not by choice,” she said a little bitterly.

“Try and see if this plant or any of the others around here have any medicinal properties,” he told her. “I only brought enough supplies for the Doctor and myself, not a party of five.”

Getting the message Kendrix went, “I’ll see if any or edible too,” adding, “I should have paid more attention in school when they were talking about exactly that.”

“Do you need any help,” Finn started to say right before Fred barged right past him, following Kendrix, “Doctor?”

“No unless you have a spare refractive transceiver on hand,” he said looking over a slightly singed component in his hand, “I miscalculated the output of the pain inducer just slightly.”

“Fresh out, sorry,” Finn said in jest. Finn’ looked around at the others in the group. Kendrix was examining the various plants around them, Elias stepped away, apparently getting a report from camp.And he just stood there, feeling useless.

“You could probably give Kendrix a hand,” the Doctor said suddenly. “I’m sure Fred knew loads before his current state.”

“Honestly I probably paid less attention than Kendrix did,” he admitted. “Doctor,” he cautiously went. He kept working on the device but tilted his head slightly, making sure to point an ear toward him. Finn took the invitation, “Nevermind, I don’t want to bother you any more.”

“My dear Finn, the very definition of multitasking is doing several tasks at one time. It is something I am very proficient at. Besides, the tone of your potential question has piqued my interest. And I don’t particularly like having my interest left piqued. So please continue.”

“I don’t even know why it popped into my head.,” the young man went. The Doctor stopped what he was doing and looked at him expectantly. “Well, you been around a long time haven’t you?”

“For good or worse, yes,” he said. “Side note Finn, longevity does have several disadvantages.”

“I guess so,” Finn said, kicking a small stone. The Doctor moved over slightly and he took the silent invitation to sit next to him. “I guess what I’m trying to ask is, you mentioned the Time War, that wasn’t the only one you were in, was it?”

“Technically yes,” the Doctor told him. “My usual lifestyle has me popping in and out of various wars and battles at various points. The Time War was the first time I actually joined in.”

The scope of what he was saying seemed to stun the young man slightly. “I’m embarrassed to say I had some mates from my childhood who would have bugged the hell out of you for some good war stories.”

The Doctor smiled at him before going, “Finn, no offence to you or your friends, but in my opinion the only ‘good war stories’ are the ones where the war never happened and no one needlessly died.”

“”That sounds a little surprising coming from you Doctor,” Elias said as he came back.

“Doctor?”, Finn asked.

“I have seen way too much death and destruction to think otherwise. Definitely way too much needless death. And I’ll admit I caused more than my fair share of both. Because I got good at the math, because I got clever. A long life is a curse, and I’ll stand by that until my dying breath. But unlike everyone else in the universe, regeneration does give you a new perspective and appreciation on things.”

“So one regeneration and your whole world view changed?”, Finn asked him.

“Not, it was always there,” he corrected Finn, “deep down. But the right regeneration brought it back to the forefront a bit more. So I’ll try to save anybody, no matter who side they are on, if given the chance to. Oh, I had this on max,” the Doctor said, suddenly changing the subject quickly. After putting the device back together he said, “Ah much better, the signal stopped moving.” Finn looked at him incredulous. “The definition of multitasking”

“Doing several tasks at once,” Finn muttered as they both stood up.

“These should work,” Kendrix announced as she and Fred rejoined them, both carrying several types of plants. “I’m not sure about edible, but they should help with any minor cuts and scrapes. Fred figured out what I was doing and pointed out a few that were exactly what I was looking for.”

“Fortunately somebody here paid attention in school,” the Doctor said. “This way, come along,” he said after pointing in pretty much the same direction they were going.

“Good thing it wasn’t the opposite direction again,” Kendrix said as he was walking off. Giving part of her load to Finn to carry she went, “What were you guys talking about?”

“How regeneration changes your outlook on things,” he said as they joined the others.

***
“This is a mistake.”

In front of an image of the mission commander stood a stern looking man with his hands clasp behind his back. The expression on his face was one of extreme disappointment after hearing the latest update from the commander. He was expecting to hear of the death of the Doctor, not what he was just told. The commander didn’t look phased at his leader’s reaction, “I must respectfully disagree. The Doctor had somehow determined at least the general location of this base. He is as intelligent as we have been told.”

“Which makes him as dangerous as we were told.”

“I believe I can persuade him to our cause. The Doctor will have to listen to logic. If not, I'll make sure his life is ended. I swear my life on it. “

“Good,” the supreme leader said, “Because if the Doctor survives this your life will be in forfeit.” Ending the transmission before the other man could respond the supreme leader shar[ly turned around. Going over to a control panel and hit a button, “I want a report on all assets for the current experiment immediately. And prepare to cut their computer” Turning back around he was slightly taken off guard by the man currently being back lit in the now open door. He covered his surprise quickly enough.

His visitor simply said, “That man is a buffon.”

“I don’t disagree,” the supreme leader responded. “I don't even know why he even thinks he could talk the Doctor into joining our cause.”

“I think I might,” he said walking into the room. The man had a dark beard as well as all black clothing, similar to their uniforms but not of the military style. Walking over to the desk he walked past him to stand on the other end of the control panel. “I fear I might have put the fear of the Doctor into him while warning you of his danger.”

“A distinct possibility,” the Supreme leader had to admit. He placed the person in charge of this particular experiment despite a less than stellar military record. The man was smart and could handle the situation, under normal circumstances. But this was in now way a normal circumstance. “He had the information to do his job. The more facts the better.”

“True,” the other said. “But the mind can ne it’s own worst enemy at times. “A fact I have taken advantage of on several occasions. So I should know.” The way the other man smirked as he said this, irritated so, but this was their benefactor so he would give him some leeway. But only to a point.

Either way the Doctor will not know the extent of what he faces or who he is up against.” Another annoying smirk graced the other man’s lips.

“You haven’t been the first to assume that. And if the Doctor stays true to form you won’t be the last.”

“Also from experience?”, he mocked the other man. He quickly lost the smirk, face going totally neutral. But the look in his eyes gave the Supreme leader pause. And quickly pushing down a sudden urge to back pedal from the comment.

Their benefactor soon graced him with a small grin, “I suppose I left myself open for that one. But I can tell you, from experience, that underestimating the Doctor is a mistake. Although stranger things have happened in the past.Maybe this buffoon might convince the Doctor, it’s extremely unlikely, but there is a chance.. No matter how small, either way it should be entertaining. Can you arrange so we can listen in on the conversation?”

“That should be a simple enough task. But why?”

“Just a sudden urge of curiosity,” he said. “To see how your man handles the situation. Maybe I can learn something.”

“Very well,” he said, conceding to the request, what happened there made no difference in the long run. “I’ll let you know the moment this potential meeting takes place. Standard procedure dictates that the meeting will be recorded almost automatically.”

“Good,” he said, smile growing into a bigger grin. “I’ll bring snacks.” He left with out another word. But the interaction still left a bad taste in his mouth. Gratitude only went so far.

***
After those final adjustments the Doctor;s device was working without any further tweaking on his part. This part was a positive in Elias’s book, it meant they didn’t have to stop every so often now for the Doctor to work on it further. Still he kept an eye out for anything that looked out of place. Behind them he heard Kendrix say, “No, Fred don’t go that way. Finn a little help.”

“He keeps growling at me,” he said.

“He’s not growling,” Kendrix told him.. “He’s just warning you.”

“By growling.”

“Fred,” the Doctor called out from the front of the group, “Stay by Kendrix and Finn.” Fred looked at him and nodded before moving. Although to Elias’s eye he seemed to be staying closer to Kendrix than Finn.

Quickening his pace he said, only for the Doctor to hear, “I haven’t spotted a drone in the sky for a while. Not even the one that was following us. I’m worried.”

“Oh?”, the Doctor said as he kept going.

“Doctor, I'm serious here. If it was me, any drone under my control would be out away from the base. We may be closer than we realize.”

“Then we won’t have much longer to go then,” the Doctor responded. “Besides, they probably already know we’re close if the Drones moved on.”

“And that doesn’t worry you?”, Elias demanded.

“I like to base my worrying on facts,” the Doctor told him, in an almost maddenly relaxed way. “The drones are gone, they know we’re headed in their direction. Unless you have been keeping an assault from me, the neighbors don’t see us as a threat. Therefore, no worries.”

“I wish I thought like you do Doctor.”

“Everybody thinking like I do,” he mused. “Well that would be boring.”

“Hold it!” a new voice said. Everybody stopped as as a man with a rifle of some sort pointed right at them. “Identify yourself, now!”

The Doctor took a step forward, tipping his hat toward the man slightly, “Well hello, we’re just a group on walk. A lovely day for it, wouldn’t you agree?” The man pointed his rifle right at him. “A simple no would suffice.”

“I’ll let you go,” he said all of the sudden. “Out of gratitude for returning our property.”

“Have we?”, the Doctor looked around after the man pointed in Fred’s direction with the rifle, looked around then motioned to the group as Kendrix and Finn got in front of Fred. “Move aside, let the nice man claim his property.”

“Doctor?!”, Kendrix exclaimed.

“If this nice gentleman is claiming that rock as his,” they all looked back, outside of Fred that was. He was staring intently at the soldier with a look like he was about to pounce the man. However behind them that “rock” as the Doctor put it, was a rather sizable moss covered boulder. “”Who are we to disagree? Now step aside, step aside let them man have his rock. I mean I felt we passed some much nicer ones on the way here, but to each their own.”

“I meant the animal,” he said pointing directly at Fred. “I’m talking about the animal.”

“Animal?”, the Doctor looked confused as he looked back again. Although he made eye contact with Elias briefly before turning back to the man. Elias took a quick glance around without moving his head, he didn’t see anyone else at that particular moment, but the weapon he was holding was enough of a deterrent. “What animal? Do you mean Fred? He’s not an animal, he’s a person.”

“He is our property, and I will take him back. All of you in fact since you failed to cooperate.”

“You know,” the Doctor said to the rest of them, “I never understood the concept of someone claiming to own another person.” Returning his attention to the man with the weapon he said, “I mean I could say I own you at this very moment. In fact I do own you right now, so please lower your weapon and let us by.”

“You be quiet!”

“Did I say you could speak?”, the Doctor said sharply. “Property should only speak when spoken to. And then after permission is granted. And I did not grant permission.”

“You shut,” he stepped forward planning to plant the barrel of his rifle into the Doctor’s chest. But the Doctor sidestepped slightly, grabbing the barrel and pulling toward him, making the man get unbalanced. The Doctor kept pulling and reached out, grabbing him by the back of the head and flipped him over easily. Elias quickly ran in while the man was trying to figure out what exactly happened and punched him out.

“I think that vine will do as a rope,’ Finn pointed out. Kendrix quickly agreed and the two of them quickly went to work pulling some of it off. While they were doing that Elias took the weapon and examined their fallen hostage taker

“This looks like communication gear,” he said taking it off of the unconscious body. “We don’t need him radioing ahead. Looks like he’s wearing one of those destruction vests. Is that why you didn’t use the whole?”, he trailed off while making a thrusting motion with two fingers.

“It was a possibility,’ he said. Looking around the Doctor added “We might be even closer than we think.”

“Actual patrols are more likely,” Flias joined in, then he looked over at Kendrix who brought over and took the length of the vine Finn had pointed out and tested it a bit, “That will do nicely, thanks. Doctor, the more I’m looking at this the more I’m positive that this is a comm unit of some sort.”

“Say no more,” he said while reaching into an interior pocket, retrieving his sonic screwdriver. Adjusting the dial on the butt of the handle he held the emitter near the device and depressed the ring. There was a slight spark right before pulling it away. “That should stop him from contacting any help after he wakes up.”

“I’m no,” Kendrix spoke up, “expert or anything but maybe we should get going.”

“In this case you’re right,” Elias told her. “Alright I need you three to listen up. Stay alert, keep vigilant. Point out anything that looks out of place.. And I mean anything, is that understood?”

“Got it,” Finn and Kendrix said.

Kendrix started shepherding Fred along, “Stay close Fred.”

“Elais,” the Doctor said, “What we were talking about a bit ago. About me worrying and the facts.”

“Finally starting to get worried Doctor?”. he asked.

“Getting there,” was all he said as he pointed out the direction that they should be going now.

***
Back at the campsite two of Elias's men were looking at the TARDIS. “I don’t think this is a good idea,” one of them said.

“I’m tired of finding a bush to use,” the other said. “ I don’t think the Doc will mind, he did say we could pop in if things get dangerous. And it’ll be good to know how that thing is laid out in an emergency.”

“Would you even know where to look?”

I asked the Doc on the way here. He said to go through the other door,” the other man nodded as he continued, “pass three hallways then go up the stairs on the right, then down the next set you see. Take five lefts at the first intersection…”

“Wait, how do you take five lefts?”

“How should I know, it’s an alien machine.”

“Did you follow his instructions?”

“Nah, afraid I get lost.”

“Knowing the layout wouldn’t be that bad of an idea,” the other man conceded.

“Now you see my point, come one.” He pushed on the door but it wouldn’t. “What? I thought he said he left it unlocked.” The other man tried the door, it opened right up as he looked smug while the first looked on in disbelief, “What the actual hell?”

“The Doctor acts like his ship is alive,” the other one offered. “ Maybe it took offence that you called it ‘alien’.” the door quickly closed on both of them

“Looks like it doesn’t like to be called ‘it’ either,” the first one shot back.

“Yes sir,” the third said while walking in their direction with a hand to his ear, obviously talking to the Sergeant, “we’ll keep our eyes open. Although it looks like the Doctor’s machine seems to have locked itself.” He paused while listening to what was being said. Getting a weird look on his face he eventually went, “Yes sir, did either of you insult the TARDIS? Exact words from the Doctor “

Both of them looked at each other before the second man answered for them, “Not intentionally.”

“They said…. Oh, the Doctor overheard.” He was quiet for another moment, a long one, before going, “According to the Doc… sorry Doctor give the TARDIS some time to calm down. She can be rather temperamental at times.”

“Great, come on, help me find a bush.”

The man in contact with Elias signed off then looked at where the other two were before taking a step toward the TARDIS. “Look, that wasn’t me, I was just the messenger. Why am I explaining myself to a ship?”

The two men walked a few steps away before the one looking for a bush pointed out, “What’s that?” Ahead of them looked like some sort of movement, a lot of it and it wasn’t any local wildlife.

“We better head back and let the Sergeant know what’s going on. Hopefully the TARDIS will let us in after you insulted it.”

“I wasn’t the one calling it an ‘it’.” As soon as they turned around they were greeted by a couple of more who had snuck up behind them.

Rifles up and pointed right at them one of them said, “Hands up, you are now our prisoners.” Both of them looked at each other, both realized there was no way to get an advantage in this situation and slowly raised their hands as a couple of more rushed in and relieved them of their weapons.

***
Despite what the Doctor speculated earlier there were more than a few drones in the sky. More than what probably should have been necessary. From behind a hill Elias watched them, making a motion for them to get closer to the hill when one came too close to their position. Although Kendrix had to pull Fred’s tattered sleeve to get to comply. After the drone passed their position Elias looked at the Doctor, “How close are we?” This was also when he noticed there was nothing in his hands. “Where’s the device?”

The Doctor’s answer was to pat a pocket, “Pocketed it about twenty minutes ago. The signal became all encompassing so I figured we entered the general area of the field.”

Looking exasperated Elias went, “You didn’t think that was information you should have shared with the rest of us?”

“I said the inducer’s pain function only activates once it was outside the designated area,” he answered like it was obvious. To him it was, the rest not so much. “It only makes sense that once we’re inside the field area the pain function would stop.”

“So we have no idea where the signal is coming from now,” Kendrix spoke up.

“Roughly the center of the field,” the Doctor said. “I’ve never seen a transmitter that was at the edge of the transmission. Although I kind of want to see that now, it would be absolutely fascinating to study.”

“Do you have any idea where the center is?”, Elias asked him

“The same general direction we've been going in, come along,” and he went off, at least after doing a quick inspection of the sky beforehand.

“Those stories about the Doctor,” Finn asked Elias, “they say he’s like this?”

“Unfortunately,” Elias said as he chased after the Doctor with the rest of them in tow.

They went over another hill before the Doctor dropped to the ground, motioning them to do the same. Elias and Finn crawled over to see a patrol had passed by. After a moment, just to make sure they weren't going to turn around or another group was right behind them both the Doctor and Elias motioned for them to move forward, which they did, scrambling for the next hill in front of them. Coming up to a ridge of rocks they carefully approached it. Elias took a quick peek over then motion for the Doctor to do the same, “Oh my.”

Kendrix and Finn joined them and her jaw nearly dropped at the site of what looked like a massive building in the middle of some sort of military installation. “Either of you recognize that building?” Both shook their heads. Again looking dismayed Elias went, “I was afraid that was going to be your answer.”

“Why does the bottom of it look weird?, Finn suddenly asked. When Elias and the Doctor looked at him he suddenly felt awkward, “I mean look at it.”

Kendrix spoke up for her friend, “He’s right. It looks like it’s on some massive pillars. Some really massive pillars.”

The Doctor studied the bottom of the building then at the rest of it. “That’s not a building,” he said suddenly, “That’s a starship.”

“What?, Elias exclaimed. After taking a moment longer to stare at the building he saw it too, “I’ll be damned.”

“Why take the time to build a complex when you can just land a ship,” the Doctor said. “Not only do you have a secure place of operation, you don’t have to pack anything when you’re ready to leave.”

“Does that give you an idea on who these people are?” Kendrix asked him.

“Unfortunately no,” was the reply, one none of the others wanted to hear.

“So now what do we do?”, she asked him

“If it was just me,” the Doctor said, “I head down and try to get a closer look.”

“I’ll point out,” Elias said, “that’s the main reason I insisted on coming along. To make sure you didn’t get yourself captured.”

Before the Doctor could say anything there were several clicks behind them that made four of the freeze in place, Fred was the only one looking back and he was growling a bit. The Doctor, while still looking forward, said, “Elias, you’re the only one of us with a weapon. Do you have it in hand?*

“It’s still holstered Doctor,” he said.

“I was afraid you were going to say that, because that noise wasn’t from you,” the four of them slowly turned around to see five men with rifles pointed right at them. Elias and the others slowly started to raise their hands, the Doctor just picked his hat off his head, “greetings, is the lady of the residence in?”’ he motioned with hat in hand before replacing it on his head. “If not we’ll be more than happy to come back later.”

“On your feet,” one of them demanded. Slowly they did so. “Search the others for weapons,” he said this while taking the gun from Elias's holster. Since he was closer the frisked Finn first before pushing him toward the Doctor and Elias. The Doctor held him steady while they quickly did the same to Kendrix and shoved her toward the others.

“You know a simple no and we would have been on our way, By the way Elias, excellent job you’re doing so far,” the Doctor quipped as they started frisking him. The one apparently in charge started checking his jacket, reaching in and finding an interior pocket. Pulling something out he looked at it then broke it before tossing it to the ground. “Well that was just unnecessary, not to mention just plain rude. That was my property you just destroyed.”

“Tell Command we have captured them, and the sonic device has been destroyed,” he told one of the others. “Take that one back to the pens, fit it with a control device.”

“Fred is not an it,” the Doctor argued.

Completely ignoring the outburst while Fred was dragged away, the four of them felt helpless as he struggled to get free. “We’re taking these four to base personally. Get moving,* None of them tried to fight back with those weapons still trained on them.

***
“Show me where they were captured,” the commander demanded. On the screen a map of the immediate area appeared. A pale green dot started blinking to indicate the information he wanted to know. “They were that close?”

“According to the reports that came in. They were able to avoid the aerial drone for most part ,” the technician told him.

“Them being that close is still completely unacceptable,” he said, barely able to keep his temper from exploding. Walking away a bit to quickly calm himself down he returned saying, “Still the fact he was captured at all says the tales of his cleverness might have been overstated. Who was captured? We can’t ignore the possibility that they may have split up.”

Another technician stepped forward holding the latest report, “All five according to this sir.” The Commander took the report and read it for himself as the other man continued. “They also recaptured the experiment that had been missing. Reportedly he was missing his binder.”

“Obviously the Doctor removed it,” the Commander mused out loud. Have it replaced with a new…,” pausing as a thought occurred to him he looked at the man, “No, fit it with one of the old control collars. The one with the explosive built inside. The Doctor tries to remove that and he’s in for a messy surprise. His sonic device was destroyed? Is the patrol sure?”

“The man who sent in the report searched him personally,” the technician answered. “As soon as he found any type of tech on him he either conflicted it or destroyed it. The one thing he sent your way is something that looked cobbled together but still looked important enough to bring to your attention. Reportedly it looks like the binder from the experiment was built into it.”

He had already read that but in the report and his mind was racing trying to figure out why that would be. Slowly he started smiling to himself, “Oh, he is clever isn’t he?”, he said to no one in particular. “Bring them in,” he told the technician. “Make sure they pass the fool who didn’t report their presence to begin with. Return the experiment to the pens and take the others to the holding cells. But bring the Doctor to me. I want to talk to the man who thought up this device.”

“At once Commander,” he said with a sharp salute and walked away to comply with those orders. Still holding the report but not really looking at it he returned to his desk to wait and think. Now what exactly could he say to this Doctor to get him to help them?

***
As soon as they were brought into the base the Doctor was separated from them almost immediately, no matter how much any of them protested. They could still hear the Doctor as the door he was taken through closed. “Get moving,” one of the guards ordered as others nudged them on with the end of their rifles.

“Just keep calm,” Elias told Kendrix and Finn. “No sudden movements and we should be fine.” Luckily the two of them complied and said nothing. What he said was mainly to keep them from doing anything stupid and get them all killed. But partially he was wanting the quiet to concentrate on the route they were going. As soon as they got out, and as far as he was concerned they were going to get out of whatever cell they were going to be placed in, he wanted to make sure that they were going in the right direction once they escaped. This place was huge and it would be easy to get lost. He was also keeping note of where the guards were generally stationed. That was going to change in a hurry once they escaped but it never hurt to estimate how fast any response would be.

After several flights of stairs heading down they were in a barely lit hallway. “Hold it here,” came the command. As the others kept them in place the person in charge held up a device and pressed a button on it, there was a slight hum right before a click and the door opened slightly. After it was pushed the rest of the way in they were shepherded inside and the door was closed without another word from their escort.

“Now what?”, Kendrix asked as Elias immediately went to the door and tried to see if it was fully locked, it was and completely flushed to the wall, there was no way to get any sort of hold that he could get on it.

“We examine our cell,” he said as he finally looked at the rest of the room. Why was there another door here? “Check that door.”

As Kendrix headed over there Finn was looking up, appearing very confused, “What is that?” The two of them looked up, Elias immediately saw the grating above that was being used as a ceiling. Before he could even start estimating how tall the walls were to test the strength of the grate connection to the wall he looked beyond it and froze.

“What are those?”, Kendrix asked seeing them as well.

“We’re under the ship,” he said, voice almost too quiet for them to hear.

“You mean those pillars Finn saw,” she said as it appeared to dawn to both of them on what was going on. “They’re thrusters.”

“This was built to deal with the exhaust,” Finn said, slowly trying to back into one of the walls.

“They weren’t planning on taking any prisoners with them when they left,” he said for them. Now the big question was when were they planning to leave? And were they going to test it out anytime soon?

“Fred and the rest?”, Kendrix asked. Elias shook his head, it didn’t seem likely that these people would take anybody not already part of the crew with them. “They’re monsters.”

“And they literally strung one of their own up,” Finn said, referencing the poor soul they passed on the way in. If you could refer to anyone in that ship as a ‘poor soul’ in any sense of the word. About them a guard passed by looking down at them as he passed. That sight put Elias immediately at ease.

“There wouldn’t be a guard if they were going to activate the engine anytime soon,” he said. That means we have some time. Come on, let's check the other door.”

***
At his desk the Commander looked up from what he was doing, the person he had been waiting on simply waltzed into the room. Two highly irritated guards came in a couple of steps behind him. Looking around his gaze went past him a couple of times before acting like he noticed him. They were warned that he would try to get them unbalanced, losing control in some way. Something to keep in mind, he reminded himself over and over. Finally looking at him he took the hat off his head slightly as he said, “Oh, hello there. I’m the Doctor, you must be the person in charge. It is so nice to meet you. Is this chair taken? It doesn’t look all that comfortable.” Without a word from him the Doctor sat in the chair. “It’s even less comfortable than it looks.”

“Comfort isn’t a priority,” he said dryly.

“Obviously,” the Doctor said. “Although they have to be a fair sight more comfortable than that poor fellow we passed on the way in. If he was still breathing that is.”

“You noticed he was dead?”, he said with mild surprise. “I didn’t order my guards to linger in that area.”

Leaning back in the chair, and almost conversely, the Doctor said. “You rarely see someone strung up like that who is still alive, so it’s only natural to assume.”

“Of course, oh course,” the Commander said as he stood and walked around the desk, “I’m sure your wondering why I wanted to speak with you”

“The thought did cross my mind once or twice,” he said casually..

“Well I wanted to talk with you. Personally. I want you to understand what we’re doing here. Maybe even help us”

“Now there’s a pitch I rarely hear,” the Doctor said, looking genuinely surprised. “Now why would I ever want to help you?”

“If you are willing to listen to me, because like us you are from a superior species,” he began. “And if I have to be honest, the Time Lords are even superior to us. It’s only natural that those who are superior rule. It’s the natural order of things after all. Have you ever seen a society governed by those who are weaker?” The Doctor twisted his head slightly recalling at least one society that would fit that particular bill but let the man continue, granted that particular society happened to be willingly conquered several times. “Occasionally you have to remind lesser species how low they truly are.”

“By doing what you did to those here?”, the Doctor asked, in a tone that sounded like he was condemning what they did here. Well it was widely known the affection the Doctor had for the people of Earth so that reaction wasn’t all that surprising when you thought about it. Still slightly annoying though.

“Not exactly,” he admitted as he walked away a bit. “You’re a man of science Doctor. I’m sure even you had something go wrong during a test. And I’m sure curious enough to see if you could replicate that accident just to see if how you thought it happened was correct. That was what happened here. The state our current experiments are in was not the original goal, we were just looking for information, see if any of them knew their military defensive capability. An accident, but a useful one,” he continued as he checked a monitor for a moment. “After our invasion is complete, it will be a useful tool in guarding the population, not to mention,” he turned around to find the Doctor mildly studying something on the desk next to him. “Doctor, I thought you were going to listen to me.” He continued to study whatever it was that was holding his attention. “Doctor,” he said forcibly.

Finally he looked in his direction, actually looking slightly confused, “Hmm?”

This man was currently trying his patience, but he kept his temper in check, “I thought you were going to listen to me.”

“Oh I was,” he said as he started to get up, “I absolurely was. But then you made things boring by mentioning the ‘I’ word.”

“The I word, I don’t…”

“Invasion,” he cut him off, he actually dared to cut him off. “Which means now I’m going to have to stop you.”

“Now Doctor let’s…”

“To be fair,” he went on like he said nothing, "I was planning on stopping you anyway, just for what you did here. But for a moment I thought I could do so with words, from one intellectual to another. But no, you’re just another war monger, no matter how much you prettied yourself up.”

“Now I don’t think that’s a fair assessment,” the Commander was able to get in.

“I think that’s a perfectly fair assessment. Tell me did you even realize that this was a colony? And I was in a UNIT ship and saw their intel, there was nothing military here, outside a couple of cannons to deflect any meteors or drive off any pirates.”

“I believe that intel was something we were able to determine as well,” he said.

“So you eradicated an entire colony for what?”, he demanded. “It couldn’t have been for practice based on what I saw in that file, that eradication would have been over in a couple of hours. You wouldn’t even have to have made landfall. It couldn’t have been for any strategic value, this planet is nowhere near a direct attack route to Earth.”

“Because it was out of the way, relatively speaking,” he told him. “Close enough to observe the intended target system, but far enough away that it wouldn’t be noticed.

“But it was noticed,” the Doctor told him. “That’s why those lovely people from UNIT are with me. Their orders were to discover what happened here.”

“Like I said,” the Commander told him with some surprising calm, “sometimes mistakes happen. What matters is how you deal with them.” Reaching over the desk he pressed a control and a monitor came to life. On it was a guard that was laying on the ground struggling with the binds that held his limbs together. “I’m sure you recognize the guard you incapacitated on the way here.”

“He does seem familiar, yes,” the Doctor said as he kept his eyes on the screen.

“Then perhaps you would like a demonstration of how we handle mistakes,” he said as he started reaching for the controls on the task again.

“No!”, the Doctor cried out and moved like he was going to stop him, but it was already too late. On the screen the man barely had a chance to react as his vest activated and he was gone in a flash. The Doctor stared at the screen for a long time. Then he slowly turned his gaze toward him. Now he was rarely intimidated by anyone. But for some reason, something in the other man’s gaze actually made him take a small step backwards before he regained his composure and tried to regain control of the situation. “If you needed to prove exactly how barbaric you truly are.”

“We learned from the Time Lords. Guards take him to the cell with the others.”

Before the guards could move the Doctor told him, “As the last of the Time Lords I’ll rectify that mistake.” he turned and headed for the guards.

“Are you going to dematerilize us like your people did our leader?””, he said as a taunt. The doctor stopped briefly, turning his head briefly to look back at him but continued on toward the guards.

“You heard him,” the Doctor told the guards, “take me to the cells. Like I have any idea where they are.” And yet he led the way out the door. Pounding a fist on his desk he tried to get himself under control. The Doctor was able to weasel his way under his skin, despite doing everything possible to steel himself for this conversation.

***
The person the others just knew as Fred was practically thrown into the same holding pen they took him from. Growling he started to lunge toward them. One of them held up a hand and his body started to spasm, holding him in place. The one holding the device just laughed at him, going, “Dumb beast,” right before the door closed separating him from freedom. Once his limbs started to move he slowly, but awkwardly, tried to claw at the thing they put around his necbut something stopped him. He was going to attack the thing that did so but he recognized this one. She was like him, had this done to them.

She shook her head, dirty locks of hair whipping around her head. He watched her as she motioned to her own neck with both hands, then flared them up. She did this a couple of more times until he understood. Messing with the thing around his neck was dangerous. That’s when he saw a red smear on the floor leading to the door he came from. Pounding a fist in frustration he hadn’t felt this helpless,,, well since before he met the strange kind man and the pretty one and the others. He tried to think of a way to communicate what he was thinking, the strange kind man, he would help them somehow. His frustration was growing because he knew that he could have told her and the others this, as those others , before this was done to them. He just knew it. But how to tell them now?

***
Being practically shoved into a room the Doctor had to hold on to his hat to keep it from flying off his head. “There’s no need to be rude,” he said to a scowling face right before the door closed. Soon he was surrounded by Kendrix, Finn and Elias, “I guess manners wasn’t a high teaching priority while they were growing up. Are the three of you all right?”

“Yes Doctor,” Elias answered for the group. “Where you able to find anything to indicate who these people are?”

“I might have learned something,” he said looking around the room, “but it doesn’t seem possible. I haven’t heard anything from them in ages.” Looking up he added, “Have we discussed the ceiling situation already?”

“Oh, we’ve gone over it alright,” Kendrix told him.

“Good, I hate repeating things people already know. Has anybody checked that other room yet?”

Looking back at the other door in their cell Finn told him, “It’s just like that one, there’s no way to open it from this side.”

“If it’s anything like that door,” Elias said, “The controls are on the other side.”

“I think that’s why no guards have rarely walked by,” Kendrix spoke up. “I mean they probably figure we can’t get out so why bother.”

“They might be watching us another way,” Elias pointed out. Just then that scowling face started looking down at them.

“Don’t worry,” he sneered, “You’ll have some new neighbors soon enough.”

“I hope they’re more pleasant than the current ones,” the Doctor called out as the guard walked away. “Elias please tell me there was a routine check in before we were brought into the building.”

“We missed it,” Elias informed him. “Not that I’m sure what they would be able to do once they figure out we were captured.”

“Unless these guys have already captured them,” Finn said.

“That's what I like about you Finn,” the Doctor told him, “always the optimist. But one way or another you’re probably right. So we have to get off here sooner rather than later. That was the first time any of you saw anybody?” When they nodded the Doctor looked at the other door. “Well if we’re on camera we might as well give them a show. Excuse me Finn.” Without warning or permission the Doctor went to the left pocket on the chest of the other man’s jumpsuit and opened it up. In the next instant he retrieved his sonic screwdriver.

In complete and total shock Finn’s hand went to that same pocket, “Wait? What? How?”

Adjusting the setting by twisting the dial on the bottom of the handle the Doctor simply said, “They searched you first obviously, then pushed you into me. It was simple enough. I mean anybody can pick a pocket, now planting in a pocket with people watching, now that’s a skull. I really have to remember to thank Harry for showing me one of these days.”

“Harry?” Finn asked, still a bit dumbfounded by what just happened.

“Housini,” the Doctor told him. “He was a famous escape artist in the early 20th century back on Earth. Fortunately that wasn’t his only skill set.” Looking at the setting he seemed satisfied. “Then again that was several faces ago, he might not recognize me.”

Kendrix went to him, “Wait Doctor what was it the guard found and destroyed?”

“We all assumed it was your screwdriver,” Elias added as he kept looking up at the grates above them.

“Some spare parts I meant to use to upgrade this one,”” he explained. “Unfortunately now that means I have to look for those parts all over again. Quite inconvenient that.” Holding the screwdriver down and to his side like he was trying to keep it out of sight he depressed the ring making it make the electronic sound as everybody looked at the ceiling. After a bit he let go of the ring but spent a few more moments watching the ceiling. Satisfied he headed for the other door, “So that one just came by to taunt us. They are getting rather sloppy since they caught us.’

“A guard would have heard that,’ Kendrix said on realization.

“Doesn’t mean one won’t walk by,” Elias said. “Doctor we’ll try to keep an eye out as best we can, you work on that door.” Elias pointed for Kendrix and Finn to take a wall, "Keep an eye on the ceiling on the wall opposite you. Unless I missed my guess we should be able to spot somebody before they get close enough to see what the Doctor is doing. I’ll stand by the wall opposite the Doctor.”

“That only leaves the wall above you,” Finn pointed out.

“Finn stop looking at the positives,” the Doctor said as he approached the door. Activating the screwdriver again he ran it along the door jam, waiting for it to start moving.

When it did he stepped back and went, “Open sesame.” The door opened part way before they started hearing growling and snarling. “Oh my.”
 
Going up to the door The Doctor retrieved and activated his sonic screwdriver. Running it at the edge of the jam and waited, only starting to back away when it began to slide open. “Open sesame,” he said in the next second. After it opened part way the quartet was soon greeted by the sounds of growling and snarling that were slowly growing louder. “Oh my,” the Doctor went right before the first aggressive creature rushed out of the doorway.

“Get back!”, Elias told Finn and Kendrix, despite knowing there was really nowhere for the two of them to go. More came into the room, it took more than a few seconds for them to realize that these creatures were just like Fred. A colonist who was basically now a human animal. Somehow this group seemed less friendly than he ended up being. This group looked like they were more than willing to lean into the animalistic nature they were forced into. Then one made his way through the group, pushing his way past where necessary and stood between them and their attackers. They all quickly recognized who this person keeping the others away was.

“Easy Fred,” the Doctor said. “They’re just scared, like you were.” They watched as Fred waved his arms for a few moments longer before making gestures that included motioning toward them then clutching his heart. “Well this is fascinating.”

“Is he telling them we’re friends?”, Finn asked.

“I sure hope so,” Kendrix answered as they watched the group slowly stop looking like they were going to attack, but still aggressive looking.

“No sudden movements,” the Doctor went.

“That one is a bit obvious Doctor”, Elias called out.

The Doctor looked down at Fred and noticed the collar around his neck. “That looks less comfortable than the binder they put on you. Let me get that off…,” as he reached to touch the collar Fred quickly tried to cover it with his hands and pull back, making the Doctor pull back as well. “Or not.”

He watched as Fred motioned at the collar with his hands then flared them up. He did this several times as they watched. “I think he’s trying to say something bad is going to happen if you tamper with it,” Elias said.

“Yes, I do believe you’re right,” the Doctor muttered. Gently putting a finger under Fred’s chin he lifted his head up to get a better look at the collar. “Could somebody check the other room? Maybe there’s something we can use to get out of here.”

Elias pointed at Finn, "You're closer, go look.”

“Me?”, Finn sputtered, actually pointing at himself. Kendrix gave him a slight shove. Gathering his courage he started his way forward. “Excuse me,” he ended up saying as he made his way past the others despite the warning growls and made his way into the other room.

“Do you think you can get that collar off of him Doctor?”, Kendrix asked. “Safely I mean. It’s Fred, I don’t want to see anything happen to him.”

“Neither do I Kendrix,” the Doctor assured her, letting go of Fred’s chin.

Finn came back into the room, “It’s pretty much the same as in here, but,” he trailed off and looked back inside. The Doctor and Elias made their way through the others and joined him looking inside. Finn pointed at a red smear on the floor that led to the other door. “Is that what I think it is?”

“I’m afraid so,” Elais told him as he knelt down to touch the smear. Looking back up at the Doctor he said, “I think we know how Fred knows about the collar now.”

“They got a personal demonstration,” the Doctor added. “I got to try it, I wouldn’t doubt that they could activate the explosive remotely. Fred can you come in here please,” he waved Fred over. As he did so he added, “The rest of you keep the rest of them back.”

“How?”, Finn and Kendrix both went.

“Just stand in front of the door,” Elias told them. “And try to look nonthreatening. Maybe see if you recognize any of them.”

In the other room the Doctor motioned for Fred to join him in the middle of the room. Kneeling down and reaching into his coat he showed Fred the sonic screwdriver. He tilted his head slightly like he was thinking it over then quickly put his hands on his ears. The Doctor grinned at his reaction, “Yes the noisy thing. Now I’m going to try to use this to get that off of you. I just need to make sure it’s not strong enough to accidentally set off the explosives.” Twisting the dial a bit until he was as satisfied as he could get with the output he looked back at Fred. “If this doesn’t work I want to apologize in advance. Now hold still.” He brought the screwdriver up to the collar, unlike earlier Fred didn’t move as he looked up. Bitting his lip the Doctor pressed the ring down. Flinching a bit as the collar clicked, the Doctor let go of the ring and quickly grabbed the collar, carefully removing it from Fred’s neck. Once freed of the device the other man’s hands quickly went to his neck like he couldn't believe it was off. “There,” he said with a sigh of relief, “never a doubt in my mind.” As Fred left the room and rejoined the others The Doctor stayed where he was examining the collar then looked at the wall in front of him. “I might have an idea.”

***
The leader just watched their benefactor as he studied the image that was sent to them. Some device they took off the Doctor that the Commander in charge of that operation couldn’t understand the purpose of. Looking at it himself, outside of the slave binder, he had no idea what he was looking at. Although he took a small amount of pleasure in seeing him look confused as well. After several minutes his expression finally changed, “That was almost too simplistically clever.”

“What?”, he asked, going over to the station to look over his shoulder.

“This was how the Doctor located the base,’ he said. “The binder is designed to cause pain if the wearer escapes custody. A pain that lessons when they’re heading in the right direction, back to captivity.”

“He used that function to locate the base?”

“Yes, he used that machine, essentially creating an electronic nervous system, and used that to narrow down the base’s location. As I said, it was almost too simple, I almost overlooked the idea. I almost disregarded it completely, but I had to remember that I haven’t faced this version of the Doctor before. He will think slightly differently than the ones I’ve come across before despite being the same person.”

A man came up to him and handed over a report. He arched an eyebrow, this was not going to go over well. Bracing himself. “The base Commander’s “interview’ with the Doctor has already happened.”

“Has it?”, their benefactor said coolly, and not looking at him. Something that somehow unnerved him more than if he looked directly at him.

“Yes,” he said, trying to keep calm, “apparently they couldn’t send the live footage, no reason given. Something I will take the Commander to task about. They did send a copy of it.”

“Better than nothing I suppose,” he said, not even raising his voice level. “Let us watch, I guess we’ll have to forgo the snacks this time around. Please have a seat.” Reluctantly he did so.

“There’s no sound,” he told their benefactor as he handed over the report,having turned it to a certain page. “They did give us a transcript of what was said.”

“How quaint,” came the response as he took the report and looked it over, “Do please, someone,press play.” Pressing a control on his chair the leader sat stiffly as the video played as their benefactor looked back and forth between the screen and the report. When the Doctor sifted in the chair he was in, their benefactor smiled slightly. “Of course he would react there.”

“React to what?”, the leader asked.

“Your commander, in his limited infinite wisdom, mentioned the invasion. Go back and watch the Doctor, he asked him to listen to him and the Doctor was. Go ahead, rewind it a bit and watch the Doctor closely, he was actually listening to what was being said. And if I know the Doctor like I do he was formulating several counter arguments at the same time. Perhaps deciding which one to go with, then he heard invasion and immediately made up his mind.” While he was saying this on screen the Doctor was standing, literally facing the Commander. Then he started to leave, heading toward the waiting guards. Their benefactor leaned forward slightly, “Rewind that. Do it now!,” he commanded when it wasn’t immediately happening. Doing so the Leader watched intently, trying to see what the other man apparently saw. He put the moment on repeat then he saw it as well, the quickest turn of his head looking back then back forward as their benefactor announced, “He reacted to something,” their benefactor started going over that report. Suddenly he exploded, “That idiot!”

“What happened?”, he asked. The answer was that report being shoved back to him, a particular line being pointed out. He read part of it out loud, “Like your people did our leader?”

“He told him exactly who you are!”, he shouted, looking like he was looking for something to smash. “The whole point of the operation was to keep a low profile, to keep the Doctor from figuring out exactly that.”

“What can the Doctor do with that information?”, he asked.

“At the moment nothing, if anything the Doctor is trying to figure out how, no why you’re back now. And he is smart enough to realize that someone helped you to this point.”

“He’s currently in a cell,” the leader told him.

“One that won’t hold him long. He knows Earth is targeted now, he will act.” He rushed past him.

“Where are you going?”

“Unless something miraculous happens then we need to consider this operation lost.”

“We still have people there.”

“Then basically consider them lost as well. I need to figure out exactly how much the plans need to be altered because of this,” he stormed out of the room.

Pounding the controls by him he ordered, "Get the Commander on line immediately. The Doctor needs to be taken care of now!”

***

Kendrix just stood in the corner and watched as a guard walked by overhead after he passed by. She waited a few more minutes before saying, “I don’t think he even looked down.” Looking at Finn and Elias and adding, “Otherwise he would have noticed we’re missing a person.”

“Right,’ Elias said as he opened the door the Doctor unlocked earlier. “Another one just went by, about an hour apart by my calculations.” In the other room the Doctor, Fred and the others stood around as the Doctor examined something on his screwdriver. “Did anybody pass by overhead for you?”

“Not a soul,” the Doctor told him. “Apparently they don’t consider Fred and company that much of an escape risk. I haven’t even detected any type of surveillance in here at all. Fred, stay here.” He then proceeded to walk past Elias and back into the other room.

As he started scanning the corners with the screwdriver as Elias said, “Doctor what is the plan exactly?”

“Hmm?”, the Doctor went as he continued scanning. Eventually he stopped and pocketed the screwdriver. “No hidden surveillance equipment in here either. They really don’t expect people to escape do they?”

“The plan Doctor,” Elias insisted.

“Doctor,” Finn stepped in, “we heard you say you have an idea then had us usher Fred and the others back into that room with you in it. “

“And let you know if we see a guard and how often,” Kendrix added. “If you have a plan, it would be nice if you let the rest of us in on it.”

“I had a seed of a plan,” the Doctor said. “It needs to be planted, tended to, allowed to flourish. Surely one of you must have tried to grow a plant, these are necessary steps in the process.”

“How do you tend to an idea?” Kendrix asked no one in particular.

“By gathering information,” the Doctor answered anyway. “And in these limited conditions assumptions have to be made. Things like the other door in that room should lead to another hallway.”

“I guess that’s reasonable,” she said.

“So how does that help us?” Finn jumped in.

“It gives us options,” the Doctor told him. “Another assumption I’ve been forced to make, back when I was first brought to this room, and how soon my very guide appeared up there,” he said pointing to the grated ceiling.

“There’s a way out nearby,” Finn said.

“But not a good one,” Elias told him.

“I would say not,’ the Doctor said as he went back to the other room. Fred and the others moved to let him pass as he walked to the collar on the floor, “some very armed guards are that way.”

“Wouldn’t armed guards be everywhere?”, Elias pointed out.

“Yes there would, which goes back to limiting our options. So which option do we pick?”

“Doctor” Kendrix spoke up, “You haven’t explained what these options are. We’re stuck in a cell.”

“Exactly,” the Doctor started talking, “cells with no type of surveillance whatsoever or Guards who pay it’s inhabitants any attention. The options are which way do we escape?” Elias started to speak up but the Doctor held up a hand to quiet him, “Let these two work it out.”

“Let us?”, Kendrix said as she looked at Finn, who looked as confused as she felt. Both of them started softly talking to each other for a few moments while the Doctor, carefully, took a panel off the interior of the collar while Elias looked up to make sure no guards just happened to walk by overhead. “So we agree?”, Kendrix suddenly said.

“I think so,” he told her.

The Doctor looked up as she came over to him, “The guards keep walking over our cell and not this one.” The Doctor nodded slightly but otherwise didn’t respond. “They’ll be expecting us to try to escape from our cell.”

“Exactly,” the Doctor said grinning. “Any guards for us, armed or otherwise, should be on the other side of that door. Of course any escape from this cell will draw guards into that hallway. So we use that to our advantage.”

“So while all hands on deck,” Elias spoke up, “Head for that hallway the others should be less guarded. Sounds like a risk Doctor.”

“What;s life without a little risk?”, the Doctor asked. “Hold that,” he said, handing something to Finn.

He looked at the thing the Doctor handed him and went, “What exactly am I holding?”

“An explosive charge from the collar,” The Doctor told him. Finn immediately went stiff upon hearing this.

“Finn,” Kendrix told him, eyes locked onto the charge, “Do not drop it.”

“I wasn’t planning to,” Finn said, voice cracking slightly.

“Doctor,” Elias started to say.

“Not now Sergeant” the Doctor said as he started fiddling with the collar again, “I’m working on a distraction.”

***
In the other cell The Doctor was able to extract another explosive charge from the collar and carefully placed it down next to the other two he had previously removed from it. “Should I risk one more or will these be enough?”, he muttered as Kendrix walked into the room. Looking up at her he went on with his thought, “The problem is we don’t exactly know how much of a bang these charges have. Obviously combined they’re enough to…well,” he gestured to the red smear and left it at that. “But will they be enough to damage that wall? Even my plans have the occasional maddening unknown to them.”

“Maybe use them on the door?”, Kendrix offered. “It’s much thinner than the wall.”

“Yes,” he mused, “That is a possibility. It’d be even better if the door was on hinges.”

“So it’ll blow out into the hall,” Kendrix said.

“Exactly,” The Doctor said as he looked up at her. Then he looked past her. “Oh that might be perfect.” He stood up then quickly moved past her and examined where the grated ceiling met the wall.” That might work better than my original idea. I might need more charges though. How many are in that collar?”

“Doctor?”, Kendrix asked as he walked past her again and started to extract another charge after locating it. “Who are these people?” He paused for a moment and looked out into space, lost in memory. “You said you knew who they were.”

“I have an idea,” he said as he went back to work, “but it shouldn’t be possible.”

“Doctor,” Kendrix almost pleaded.

Continuing working on the collar he told her, “I never learned what they call themselves. I might have run into them again and not have known it. But one time, in my younger days, me and my companions at the time landed on what we thought was Earth, during wartime since there were soldiers all over the place. Turns out the enemy they were fighting were other earth soldiers, but they were from a completely different time period in Earth history. It was very confusing at the time.”

“It definitely sounds like it,” Kendrix said as she squatted down next to him. “So what was going on?”


“Various soldiers and fighters all throughout Earth’s history were transported from Earth to this Earth-like planet, brainwashed them into thinking the other groups were the enemy they were fighting and set against each other.”

“Like a game or something?”

“I really wish you hadn’t phrased it like that, but basically yes. How many charges did they put in this?”

“Doctor?”, Elias said from the doorway. “What was the purpose of these ‘games’?”

“Basically they were looking for which time period had the best soldiers,” he told them as Finn joined Elias by the door. “Extremely basic I should add, From what I can remember I think they were looking for foot soldiers to fight in a war they were in. I did stop them, but realized I had a new problem on my hands. How do I get all these people back to their proper time periods.”

“The TARDIS wasn’t an option?”, Finn asked.

“I wasn’t quite as good at piloting her back then,” he admitted with a slight smirk.

“How did these aliens get all of them to that planet?”, Kendrix asked as the Doctor carefully pulled out another charge and placed it with the others.

“They had machines called SIDRATs,” he told her, “and that was my original plan to get them home. Unfortunately, I soon found out that the SIDRATs were almost completely depleted.” Lowering his hands he looked off into space again, “I had no other options.” None of them said anything. “I had no other choice, I had to contact my people.”

“Why are you making that sound like a bad thing?” Finn asked.

“It is when you’re on the run from them,” he said, offering them a weak smile. “The plan was to contact them and run back to the TARDIS and get out of there. Unfortunately one of the fighters questioned why I was trying to get away after calling them but I had no time to explain. By the time I was able to get away and reach the TARDIS they were already there, they captured the aliens, their leader, and after a bit of struggle, me and put us on trial. Separately of course.”

“What happened to this leader of theirs Doctor?”, Elias asked.

“Well at first, they were trying him for breaking the laws of time by uprooting all these groups. Apparently he had a tracker on him and his men attempted a prison break, by force. Unfortunately for them, they failed to realize how advanced my people actually were. Since he somehow orchestrated this attempt at freedom, added to the others charges, my people decided his fate, dematerilization.”

“I don’t understand,” Kendrix went.

“Essentially,’ the Doctor went on. “They erased him from time and space.”

She gasped, “That’s horrible.”

“They could be pretty horrible," the Doctor admitted. “Even before the time war. But that’s why it shouldn’t be possible. I mean, I wouldn’t have put it past them to time lock the entire planet somehow with how petty they could be. Like I said, I haven’t heard from them since then.”

“And the fact that this might be them?” Elias asked, “After all this time?”

The Doctor admitted only one word, “Disturbing, because they erased the War Lord completely from time and space. Granted there could have been others who were just as bad as he was, but why now?” Shaking his head slightly the Doctor, “That’s a problem for another time. Elias have you looked at that charge yet.”

“Yes I have Doctor,” he said. “If it is similar to what we use then a charge of that size should have roughly a six inch blast radius, maybe seven.” He , Kendrix and Finn all looked at the smear, “That poor bastard probably didn’t even know what happened.”

The Doctor looked at the smear, took the hat from his head and placed it over his chest before quickly putting it back on. “Six inches you say,” going to the other door he exclaimed things a bit closer. “About three inches from the door to the front of the jam, give or take. Assuming it’s the same distance on the other side, the door itself is about an inch. Still it should work, I might need one or two more charges.”

“Doctor,” Elais started before he held up a finger. “Really?”

“Thinking,” was the only answer he was given. Going back to one of the charges he had extracted he walked over to a wall over the other door and held the charge against it. Placing one hand under it he carefully let go with the other. He practically lit up as it stayed in place. “I do love it when they make explosives somewhat sticky.”

Elias looked at it then at him, “Altering the plan Doctor?”

“Just a bit,” he said. “Kendrix come with me, Elias, can you and Finn place the rest of the charges, there, there and there,” he said pointing out those very spots.

“Why…?”, Finn started. Then answered his own question by going, "Because I’m taller than she is.”

“See,” the Doctor grinned, “you catch on quick. Come on Kendrix, I have to make sure our escape route is ready before enacting the plan.”

“Naturally,” she went as she followed him into the other cell.

***
“At once sir,” the Commander said, only to let the fury he was feeling show once the transmission had ended. He was told that he had complete control over the Doctor situation. Now that control was being ripped from him by the order to eliminate the Doctor at once. A command from their benefactor, obviously. One day, perhaps soon, their benefactor was going to learn that their gratitude could be pushed so far. And if the fates decreed it he would be there to witness it. Especially after he claimed he gave away who they were, it was preposterous. Thoughts to entertain later, he would follow orders no matter how annoying he found them. “What is the Doctor doing now?”

“Last report said,” came the answer, “That he was currently in his cell. The same report as every guard route so far.”

“He has to be planning something,” the Commander mused, “he wouldn’t be doing exactly nothing.” Then he looked at the man, “The guard routes?”

Again the answer came quickly, “Yes sir, the standard patrol routes, the same as all the prisoners.”

“We are not paying close attention to the Doctor’s cell?”, he said, standing and voice hardening. It had been hours and no one thought to pay the man extra attention. “I want eyes on the Doctor at all times, he is not to be unguarded for a second!” There was a brief moment of silence before alarms started blaring. Someone called out that there had been an explosion detected. As the others in the room looked around or went to their consoles for answers he dropped back down, he already knew who caused the explosion.

***
Adjusting the setting on his sonic screwdriver the Doctor leaned against the wall of the cell, now more than fairly crowded with Fred and the others. Elias made his way toward the man. Although he was concentrating on his destination he did overhear Finn ask Kendrix, “Do you think the Doctor does this all the time?” Elias smirked to himself but kept on walking. If even a quarter of the stories he had heard were true, well then that young man had no idea.

“There,” he heard the Doctor say as he examined his screwdriver, "that should do nicely.” Without looking up he added, “Can I do something for you Sergeant?”

“I was wondering if you would be willing to listen to a thought I had about your plan.”

“From a military point of view?” He asked, still not looking at him.

“Well generally, yes.”

The Doctor let out a little sigh. Not a loud one, but still noticeable. But whatever irritation he was feeling he apparently pushed aside, “”I’m willing to entertain any point of view Sergeant. Doesn’t mean I’ll listen to it, but I’ll entertain it.”

“That’s better than nothing,” Elias told him. “But, from a military point of view, you are a high priority prisoner.”

“Well, I don’t want to brag, but essentially you’re correct so far,” the Doctor finally looked up at him and gave a cheeky little grin.

Elias went on with his thought, “And as a high priority prisoner, from my experience at any rate, you would be the first one they would try to lock down in a case of any occurrence that is out of the ordinary.”

“Like an explosion?”, the Doctor offered

“Like an explosion,” Elias agreed. “”While you’re right that they would be swarming toward the source of the explosion, I’m afraid that more than you think will head this way.”

“Given the frequency of the patrols above us I was hoping that wasn’t going to be the case. But I’ll concede to your point of view, Sergeant.” Waggling his screwdriver he added, "Fortunately that thought occurred to me as well. It felt like a case where the higher ups knew better than the troops below them. I already made the appropriate tweaks.”

“You changed your plan anyway?” Elias sighed

“Yes, but I wanted to see if we're back on the same page as it were. Things have been a little rough between us since we've been here.”

“I just saw it as following in the usual tradition of you and UNIT leaders. Apparently you bumped heads a lot.”

“Mainly with the Brigadier, so you were in some esteemed company,” he said with another cheeky grin. “But we do have an issue I don’t think either of us really considered.” He looked over at Fred who was hanging close to Kendrix.

“It is a wrinkle I don’t think either of us wanted to consider,” Elias said. “It’s not like we can let them run free.”

“We may have to, we can’t leave them here,” the Doctor ordered. “As much as I don’t want to say it, them being in this state would increase their survival instinct, they would run. The only issue is what if they’re caught.”

“It looked like only Fred had that collar on,” Elias offered. “ But several have that binder on them. Use them as a distraction before the actual distraction?”

“And hope they don’t get shot?”, the Doctor shot back. Then both of them noticed that Fred had came toward them. He pointed at himself, then motioned toward the rest of the other, then pointed at the door. The Doctor looked softened slightly, “I guess both of us should have asked his opinion.”

Kendrix finally spoke up,”There might be other survivors, they might know where they are.”

“And that’s why I travel with people,” the Doctor said. “They’re always there to remind you that there's a picture inside the bigger picture.” Walking over to the locked door he outlined the new plan he had come up with, “All right here’s what we’re going to do. Kendrix, you , Fred and the others find any other survivors that are locked up.”

“Because I can unlock the doors,” she said, although obviously not liking this new twist.

“Exactly,” the Doctor said. “As capable as Fred is, and no offence Fred,” Fred tilted his head slightly, recognizing his name but still not understanding specific things, “mentally he’s not exactly there. While I’m sure he can learn how to unlock the doors I’m not sure we’ll have time to teach him.Also you can keep an eye out for any guards that are walking around, lower the chances of any of you getting shot.” He started running his screwdriver against the door jam. “Elias, you go search for your captured comrades.”

“Is splitting up a good idea doctor?”, he asked. Not in a challenging way but it was still a very valid question.

“Normally, probably not. But the chances of all three groups getting recaptured are pretty slim.” The door opened, Fred and the others survivors quickly raced out before any of them could stop them. Kendrix looked exasperated before she followed them out. Shaking his head slightly the Doctor led the other two out. Once in the hallway he pointed in a direction and started that way.

“Ah Doctor?,” Finn spoke up. “What exactly are you and me going to be doing?”

“We’re going to find our way up,” he said, walking with his hands in his pockets, like he wasn’t smack dab in the middle of a prison escape. “I want to have another chat with the commander.”

“You wasted all that time,” Elias said, “with those explosive charges. And all you want to do is have a chat?”

“As a general rule,” he told him, “I don’t think a plan should be fully set. It needs to allow for changes that you never think about. Allow room for improvisation where appropriate.” Still clutching his screwdriver in his hand he held it up. “And I don’t believe I wasted time,” He depressed the ring. Almost immediately they heard the explosion. “They were just a distraction after all. I could set them off any time.”A door suddenly opened and the Doctor made his way in before the occupant could come out. There was a brief struggle before Elias came in and knocked the alien out. Directing Finn and Elias to put him in a chair The Doctor finally looked at the room and spotted a work station nearby. Elias saw the weapon rack on the wall and took a rifle. “So far a promising start,” the Doctor said as he took a seat at the station. “And this seems simple enough. He started working the controls and quickly pulled up a map of the cell complex. “Ah, here you go Sergeant, the location of your men,” he pointed at a flashing dot on the screen, then another popped up, “And that should be the location of their weaponry.”

Elias looked at the screen, memorizing every single delta he could for the route, “Much appreciated Doctor. Any idea how to get to the base commander from here.”

“I’m sure there’s several,” he got up and walked over to the unconscious man. Waving his screwdriver over his chest he added, “I’m hoping our friend here will be able to tell us the fastest way. Right after I deactivate his disintegration vest here.”

“Why take the time?” Finn asked as he found another collar.

“Because it’ll be easier to get him to answer questions if he doesn't vaporize himself. Finn, can I see that?” As Finn handed it over Elias went to the door, made sure it was clear before heading off. The Doctor examined the collar then looked at the unconscious alien. He looked at Finn and gave him a cheeky grin.

***
“Report!”, the Commander shouted over the alarms. Around him everyone was busy trying to lock things down and located. He just had one thing in mind. The person who obviously caused all this commotion, “Do we have eyes on the Doctor?!”

“Guard team just reported in,” came the quick reply. “The Doctor is not in the cell. It is completely empty.” He banged his fist on the table. Of course the Doctor wouldn’t have left his companions in his wake. Now the question was, where were they?”

“Sir,” another called out to get his attention. “Initial reports say the explosion took place in the adjoining cell, where we kept some of the test subjects. It is also empty.”

“What?” He nearly shouted. “How in the devil did he get in there?” His gaze quickly fell upon the guard who had brought him in to begin with. “You said you destroyed his sonic screwdriver.”

“I did,” he insisted. “As soon as I located it I broke it right in front of him.”

“Obviously not,” the Commander sneered. “How else do you explain how he got into the other cell?” When an answer wasn’t forthcoming he turned his back to the man. “I want every available man down in the cell block immediately. Capture the Doctor by any means necessary. That is the main priority at the moment.”

“Yes sir,” he quickly said. “And the escaped experiments?”

“Eliminate them on sight!”

The other man tried to hide a sick grin as he replied, “Yes sir,” and quickly left the room, pointing at a couple of guards to follow him. This was a disaster, the man was on the loose and trying to find a way out.

No, he thought, not on the way out. He remembered the look on the Doctor’s face right before heading off to that cell. He was coming for him, he just knew it. A fear he couldn’t squash quickly started growing in his gut. “Actiate defenses now. I want no foreign agent to get in here.” After there were people complying with that command almost immediately he dropped into his chair. The defences around the command center were some of the best their army had to offer and it would take a small one just to get close to him. But words from their benefactor at how dangerous this one man was started to worm their way into his thoughts. The Commander was suddenly hoping those defences were enough.

***
The task the Doctor had given her was both simple and more than a bit daunting. Find any more survivors like Fred and the others. Luckily Fred was there to tell any that they found that she was a friend. Without knowing exactly what these people did to them Kendrix could easily see herself getting attacked in retaliation the moment a door opened just because she was there. Fortunately the others quickly started to trust her as well as she kept them back as soon as she spotted a guard heading down a hallway. “Come on,” she said in hushed tones while she waved them forward as soon as he was out of sight.

This was daunting because of the sheer number of doors that she could see so far. Any survivors could have been behind any of them. And something told her that not every one lead to a cell either. “It would just be my luck to run into a guard rec room or something,” she said nervously and to no one in particular. Suddenly Fred stopped her and the others, Kendrix took a quick peek around the corner he was at and saw a guard turn down another further down. Kendrix looked at Fred and went, “I’m supposed to be keeping you safe.” She wasn’t sure if he understood a word but he grinned just the same. Going around the corner she saw only more doors, and felt a growing sensation of frustration. “If anybody has an idea,” she trailed off as she realized Fred and the others were examining the doors outright. One in particular suddenly looked at her and started pointing at it vigorously. “That one?”, Kendrix asked as she hurried over to the door with Fred close behind. “Let’s hope you’re right.”

Kendrix went to work the controls then realized Fred was watching her intently, as were a couple of the others. “The Doctor said you could probably pick this up,” Kendrix told Fred then moved slightly so he and the others could see what she was doing clearly while making sure she could see what she was doing as well. After studying the control and realizing she could read what they said, something she assumed was thanks to the TARDIS’s telepathic matrix or whatever the Doctor called it, and made sure Fred and the others could clearly see the buttons she was pressing. As soon as the door slid open Kendrix backed out of the way as Fred and the others rushed in.

Kendrix then saw one had spotted her and quickly started growling, taking a defensive posture. The ones with her quickly got between her and this group, one doing the same gesture that Fred made. The others seemed unsure but eventually backed down. Still Kendrix looked at the faces in the room trying to find anyone she recognized and didn’t find one. “It’s just one group,” she said mainly to herself, “there’s going to be others.” A beeping sound caught her attention, a bit further down Fred and a couple of the others were opening doors, “Hold on.”

Kendrix stopped in her tracks as even more survivors came out, all acting like Fred and the first group that were with them. A few spotted her and the group with her and Fred quickly did the same gesture to indicate that she was a friend. “This group is going to be harder to hide than I thought.”

***
The guard slowly woke up. His eyes suddenly became very clear as he saw the Doctor sitting across from, Finn standing right behind him, and the Doctor holding some sort of rectangular device in his hand, feeling something around his neck his hand went to it, those eyes went wider as he realized what was around his throat and what the Doctor was holding. “Ah there you are,” the Doctor said while looking at him. “I was starting to wonder if the good Sergeant literally knocked you senseless.” While the Doctor talked the guard’s hand slowly lowered to his chest. “Don’t bother,” the Doctor told him, “I already deactivated the vest.” The guard just glared at him. “Or give it a try if it’ll make you feel any better. Although I do have to be honest I don’t recall you lot being so fanatical the first time we crossed paths. Oh and don’t worry, I made sure it was a regular collar and not the barbaric one you fixed to our friend earlier.”

“Burn in” he started to say right before the Doctor pressed something in the device that caused him to recoil in extreme pain.

Letting the button go the Doctor told him after a moment the Doctor said, “It does still do that however. And you should probably be glad I’m the one holding this and not my young friend here. After what you did to his home he might let go of the button in a timely manner.”

“Better me than Kendrix,” Finn spoke up.

“Quite right,” the Doctor said with a bit of mirth. “I’m not sure she would let go at all, and that would defeat the purpose of having a little chat. Doesn’t that sound nice?” he asked the guard who kept glaring at him. “A nice relaxing little chat. But given the circumstances, a rather quick one “

“I have nothing to say to you,” the guard sneered. The Doctor just smirked which annoyed the guard even more.

“Oh I’m sure you do,” the Doctor told him. Leaning forward a bit he added, “You might not think so, but I do. “ Pointing to the monitor on the side console he said, “I’ve noticed that there are several ways to get to the command section. Now I’m sure several defensive measures have been set in place. Wouldn't you think so Finn?”

“They’re probably getting more set by the second,” he said.

“Yes you’re probably right,” the Doctor said looking back at the guard. “I’m just wondering which path would be the safest if you don’t mind me asking. I’m sure there is a designated route if one has to make way to deliver a report in case comms are compromised."

“I have nothing to say to you,” the guard spat. The jolted again as the Doctor pressed the button one more time and let it go.

“You know, in my younger days, in those pre Time War days I would find the thought of doing this abhorrent. I still do mind you, but that war taught me that sometimes abhorrent things are sometimes necessary. Especially when you’re under a time crunch.” The guard looked like he was about to launch himself from the chair before the collar activated again, keeping him in place. “I hope you can see how tedious this is going to get so it would be better for all of us if you just answered my question.”

“Go to,” he jolted one more time as the Doctor just sat there casually. Then he let go and repressed the button several times basically making the man jolt in the chair he was in.

Behind him Finn was starting to look unnerved at what he was witnessing, “Ah Doctor.”

“A step too far,” the Doctor said as leaned back. “Thank you Finn, I think I was starting to share Kendrix distaste of what happened to the populace. Now about that route?”


“There is no safe route,” the guard got out between breaths.

“That makes sense,” the Doctor mused. “Just in case someone tried what I just did. Finn, do you see that cable over there?”

“I see it Doctor.”

“Grab it and tie our friend up here,” motioning with the control he added, “I’ll keep him in place.” The guard didn’t dare to move as Finn tied him to the chair. Once he was done the Doctor dropped the control like it disgusted him, took the comm gear from the guard and pointed Finn toward the door. Once making sure the way was clear the Doctor motioned for Finn to follow him “If I figured Elias out right he should grab another set of communication gear to keep track of where the guards are. I really should have thought of that when I came up with the plan.” Realizing how quiet Finn was being he said, “I’m sorry you saw that side of me Finn.”

“It kind of came out of nowhere,” he finally said.

“unfortunately not out of nowhere,” he said sadly. “I usually have a better time keeping it under control.”

“The time war?” He asked

“Unfortunately,” the Doctor continued. “Everyone has a dark side Finn. Things like war has a tendency to encourage it, sharpen it. Then it’s up to you on how to handle it.”

“So I’m guessing,” Finn began, obviously wanting to change the subject, “We didn’t bring the guard because he would intentionally take us down the wrong path?”

“Quite right,” the Doctor said, almost as eager as Finn was to talk about something else, “anyone willing to unalive themselves for their cause would have no problem sacrificing themselves if it meant taking out an enemy.”

“And if he was telling the truth about there being no safe way to the command level?”

“Then we make one,” the Doctor told him with another cheeky grin.

***
“The cell level os in total chaos,” the report came, unfortunately not that surprising of one given who started the prison break to begin with. Damn it he should have ordered the shot.

“Does any one have sight of the Doctor?!”, he demanded. “There were guards everywhere down there. Even in that reported chaos somebody should have spotted him by now. Anybody.”

“Nothing yet sir.”

Pounding the console in front of him the Commander tried to figure out how he was doing this. Another report came in from a different person. “Several outposts have yet to check in and we can’t raise them.”

“Put their location on screen,” he ordered. A map of the cell level quickly appeared with those outposts highlighted. The Commander was hoping to see if he could see a pattern, predict where the Doctor was going, but those locations, they were too spread out to just be one person.

“They split up,” he realized. The Doctor was a menace, the two younger humans weren’t a factor at all but the fourth one, he was a UNIT soldier. He was almost as much of a menace as the Doctor. But out of all of them his probable destination was all too predictable. “Increase the guards around the remaining Earth prisoners.”

Suddenly somebody shouted into the internship communication system, “The experiments are loose! They’re attacking anything that moves.”

Elsewhere on the ship the Doctor was pretty much elbow deep in a control junction of some kind, muttering, “If I connect the ankle bone to the wrist bone, maybe?”

Finn , who was standing guard as the Doctor worked to make that safe passage, looked up as the announcement about the experiments was made. “Kendrix has been busy.”

“I would certainly hope so,” the Doctor told him. “Ah, the ankle bone to the rib bone, that should do it.”

“Sir!”, yet another person called out. “Someone is trying to deactivate the defence systems.”

“Countermand it!”, the Commander shouted. “Put the main systems on a separate circuit now!”

***
“Things are going crazy up there,” one of the captured UNIT soldiers said as he watched as people seemed to be running all over the place. Another was taking the opportunity to try and pry the door open again.

“Damn!”, he exclaimed as he backed away, looking like he wanted to kick the door but held himself back. “If only we had a pry bar or something. Whoa,” he jumped back even more as the door opened, the others got ready in case it was one of their guards. When the door fully opened it revealed someone else entirely, and apparently armed to be a one man fighting force. “Sergeant?”

“Sorry boys,” he said as he watched the hall to let them out. “I would’ve been here sooner but I stopped off to gather these.” He quickly handed out their weapons. “Fortunately the Doctor was able to locate where they were storing them.”

“Where is the Doctor and the others?”

“Kendrix and Fred are looking for other survivors. And from the sound of things they found them. The Doctor and Finn are heading,” a beeping in the communication device was getting his attention since it was right in his ear, “up?” Listening to the beeps carefully he was able to recognize that the beeps were different, some short, some long, but there was definitely a pattern. “Morse code,” he said out loud then quickly tried to decipher the beeps from what he could remember. “Change to channel 6?” Looking at the device he didn’t see anything that indicated a sixth channel. He messed with it until he heard a click suddenly, “Ah… hello?”

“There you are,” he heard the Doctor say. “I was afraid you lot stopped using Morse code by this point.”

“Well it is rare,” Elias started to say then shook his head. “Doctor why are you contacting me? Won’t they be listening in?”

“As I’m sure you noticed we’re on a channel that technically doesn’t exist in their system so in theory the shouldn’t be able to monitor us “

“In theory? How did you do this.”

“Basic knowledge of how radios work and a little sonic help,” came the answer. “Come now Sergeant, just because it’s designed to only go on certain channels doesn’t mean that is all it’ll pick up. But you heard Kendrix has been, as Finn put it, busy.”

“I’m pretty sure the entire base heard it Doctor.”

“Quite right,” the Doctor said, “it’s the main reason why I contacted you. Have you got to your men yet?”

“Just now and we’re armed,” he motioned for his men to go down the hall, which they did eagerly and in formation. Staying in one spot right now was not a good idea.

“I need you to do one thing,” the Doctor told him, “ Don’t aim them at the survivors if you come across them.”

“Doctor, why would we aim them at the survivors?”, Elias asked. That comment made one of his guys look back in confusion.

“Remember how Fred first was,” the Doctor reminded him, “or how aggressive the others were? We can’t appear aggressive toward them in any manner. Because I’m fairly certain they’re going to take up any pent up aggression on those who do.”

“Understood Doctor, what are you doing?”

“Trying to make a safe way up,” he answered. “I found a direct link to the defensive systems up there but I was quickly locked out. I’m looking for some sort of control panel and see if I can block off the routes that lead to those systems.”

“And if every way is covered?*

“One problem at a time Sergeant. I’ll contact you when I make one.” And the call ended without another word

“That man is madder than the stories made him sound,” Elias muttered. “Listen up, we have some new directive.”

***

“All available guards to the cell level!”, a person yelled. The Commander sat there literally stewing in his uniform as the chaos unfolded below them.

“Sir,” he looked over at the man trying to get his attention. “We successfully locked out the attempt to override the interior defense systems.”

Slapping his hand on the desk the Commander let protocol slip to show how overjoyed he was at this bit of news, “Finally. Have people been sent to the attempt location?”

“Yes sir, but there was no one there by the time they arrived, they just found an open control panel that looked heavily rewired.”

“If it was the Doctor then he was smart enough to leave before they showed up.” His eyebrows went up slightly as a thought occurred to him, “Did they check how things were rewired?”

“Yes sir, they were able to undo whatever was being done.”

“Good, I wouldn’t put it past the man to attempt to sabotage our systems more than he has tried before. Keep an eye on all interior readings, I want to know the moment something starts looking off.”

“Yes sir.”

“Sir,” another cried out, “reports from the cell level are citing heavy resistance.”

“From who? There’s only seven of them.” Even with the Doctor at their side this made no sense whatsoever.

“It’s from the released experiments sir. They’re going wild and ripping our people apart.”

“Then shoot them on sight,” the Commander ordered. “Spare some people to guards the area above the cells. Eliminate them at once!”

***
There was a fire fight in a corridor as Elias and his men took cover as best as they could, either round a corner they came around or a nearby alcove. Down the hall the invaders had taken position and basically took pop shots whenever one of them popped out long enough to take a shot then get back behind cover. Pressed against the wall Elias moaned the situation, “We’re going to run out of ammo at this rate, well before their weapons do.”

“Sarge,” the man kneeling next to him said after poking his head out then back again, “I’m pretty sure they’re not changing position. They’re in the same spot every time I get a good look.”

That was something they might be able to use, “How sure are you?”

Reluctantly he admitted, “Roughly eighty percent.”

Not that great of odds, and one one he normally wouldn’t have even considered taking. But you didn’t get recruited into UNIT if you cared about the odds being in your favor or not. “Okay, we’re both going to pop out. I'll fire first to draw their attention. You take any shot you can get.”

“Understood,” he said getting ready as Elias did as well.

Waiting a beat Elias went, “Now.” Both popped out, with Elias firing first and thankfully drew their attention like he hoped. Below him his man took the second he had to line up a shot and pull the trigger. The shot was true as one of the invaders started to fall back. There was a quick spark on his chest before he was engulfed by the disintegration field from his vest. The ones next to him were caught off guard as they were caught in the field as well, which somehow caused their vest to go off as well in a cascading effect that took them out.

Below him his man just went, “Holy…” Elias couldn’t blame him for basically being speechless at the sight

“Come on,” Elias told them, “we still have a job to do .” They moved forward, Elias was shocked to see that the field seemed to have taken part of the hallway with the soldiers. He didn’t recall seeing this the first time they saw one of those vest in action. Maybe it was the combined effect of the group. “I think it goes without saying,” he addressed the others, “make sure that they don’t surround us in case this is a tactic they use.”

“Sergeant, it looks like there a set of stairs over here. They lead up.” Elias looked at the stairs, the Doctor said up led to underneath the alien's ship. Which meant more invaders to deal with, not to mention things seemed pretty wide open based on what he could see from that cell. On the other hand, they couldn't stay down here forever and it was better to know what was coming anyway.

“Cover me,” he said as he made his way up the flight of steps. An uncovered opening gave him a complete view of the area above the cells. And a extremely good look at the invaders shooting down. He briefly feared that the Doctor and the others had been spotted. But quickly realized that there was more than one group up here and understood what was happening. They were basically executing the survivors they had. His blood boiled briefly as he pulled the trigger on his rifle. The sound of his rifle caught the invaders attention and brought his men up immediately behind him. The surprise attack caught several designation vest flush that caused the same cascading effect as earlier. The invaders who didn’t get hit immediately started spreading out to keep it from happening again. As their fire started concentrating on their position Elias gave the order to fall back.

Then survivors started to climb out of the cells, looked around and saw the invaders. Much to Elias' surprise they started attacking the invaders en masse, some going down but others leaping at the invaders like animals. Elias stopped firing just long enough to look stunned as the freed survivors were literally ripping the invaders apart. A burst by his head brought him back to the more immediate threat. Still he had to let the Doctor know what was happening.

***
“”You said they’re doing what?”, the Doctor said as he and Finn walked the halls as he held the comm unit to his ear. Listening again he lowered it slightly, “Oh my.”

“What is it,?”, Finn asked as he looked behind them, in case guards came from the rear.

The Doctor told him,”Apparently the neighbors just found out what happens when you treat people like animals for a long time.”

“I’m almost afraid to ask.”

“Let’s just say it’s not sounding pretty. Remember to not look,” he stopped and looked back at Finn. “Never mind you’re the least threatening looking person I’ve ever met.”

Finn protested, “Hey.”

“Well it’s true,” the Doctor told him. “Which is saying something because I’ve met a lot of people over the years. We need a way to warn Kendrix without giving away her location. If she hasn’t experienced the situation already.”

“That bad?”, he said. Then he looked down a hallway as they passed then stopped and back track as he spotted something, “Doctor, look at this.” He backtracked a bit to see what Finn had found, a ladder leading to the upper levels.

“Now this does look promising,” he said as he looked up, the ladder seemed to go up several floors. “If there is an opening on the other end then this should be an excellent find Finn.”

“What do we do now?”

“We go up of course,” the Doctor told him and grabbed the ladder.

“What about Kendrix?”

The Doctor looked up, not up the ladder shaft but at the ceiling. Putting the comm unit back up to his ear he called Elias, “I know it’s a bit much but could you go back and find Kendrix? She’s, as far as I know, unaware of the survivors exact viciousness. I would but Finn and I just found a ladder going up we’re going to investigate.” Making a face the Doctor lowered the unit and pocketed it. “He really has to remember I’m not one of his shoulders, I’m not going to ask how high as soon as he says jump.”

“I’ll look for Kendrix’” Finn said. “It’ll be faster and I’ll attract less attention than Elias and his men.”

The Doctor looked like he wanted to argue. But Finn’s point was sound, and the sooner he got up into the command ship the sooner this ended. Reluctantly he put a hand on Finb’s shoulder and told him, "Be careful.”

“I’m telling you that,” Finn smirked as he hurried down the corridor.

“Me be careful?”, the Doctor protested after him. “Careful is my middle name.” Going up the ladder he added, mostly to himself, “If I had a middle name.”

***
“What do you mean the experiments are still attacking?”, the Commander demanded as he stormed over to the man who gave the report.

“That’s what is being reported sir,” he said, an edge of panic creeping into his voice. “Somehow they’re getting free and attacking our people on sight. Literally trying to tear them apart, in some cases succeeding.”

“Get more people down there!”, he ordered.

“All available teams are already in place sir.”

“Then get the teams that aren’t available!”, he demanded. “Get them out of the infirmary if you have to. Just get people in place!”

“There aren't any more people to send,” came the reply. His head snapped around as the Commander backhanded him.

“There's you!”, he snapped. Turning around he waved a finger at everyone else in the room, guards and operators alike, “There's all of you! All of you get down there and contain the situation!”

“Sir,” another person got out before the Commander grabbed the gun off a nearby guard and shot the person who dared to speak.

Pointing the weapon at the rest he repeated, “Get down there now!” The guards moved right away. The operators looked at each other momentarily before moving from their chairs and followed the guards. “Blasted idiots,” he said to no one. “The Doctor is behind this somehow, he just knew it. Why didn’t he just take the shot when he had the chance?

“Where is he?” the Commander wondered out loud as the thought occurred to him. There was no report of the Doctor at all in this madness. He had to be somewhere. Going over to the station of the man he just shot, pushed over the body to get it out of the way then started looking at the monitors. The Doctor had to be somewhere down there.

***
Meanwhile the Doctor was still climbing the ladder Finn had located. Stopping monetarily he was breathing slightly hard as he looked around. “I was hoping this body would be in slightly better shape.” Not seeing a way to enter the complex from here he looked up, still a fair bit to go. Taking a deep breath he started up again. “I really should have taken those exercises Mel made me do a bit more seriously.”

***
This was getting ridiculous, Kendrix was having no problem finding other survivors. But the group she was trying to keep an eye on was getting larger every time she turned around. Especially since Fred and a couple of others had learn to open doors as well, and doing it when she wasn’t looking. Although the last couple of doors they opened sadly explained some of the weapons fire she had been hearing. These invaders were killing them in their cells, which made her determination to save as many as possible even greater, no matter how large this group was getting.

“Kendrix?”, she heard Finn call out. He stopped on his tracks when the other all looked at him, more than a few growling a warning. “Whoa, somebody want to tell these guys I’m a friend.” Fred forced his way through the group and started to make the same motions to the others to indicate that he wasn’t an enemy. “I guess that disproves the Doctor’s theory about how non threatening I look.”

“”Finn what’s going on?”, she asked. “Where’s the Doctor?”

“We found a ladder that led up, he climbing it now. But Kendrix we have to keep Fred and the others away from the invaders.*

“I know they have weapons,” she started to say.

“No,” he interrupted her, “you don’t understand. They've been treating these people like animals, and once they’re free… well according to Elias they’re acting like animals as soon as they see the invaders.”

“You there!,” a new voice called out. Down the hall one of those invaders stood there raising his weapon at them. Before any of them knew it Fred and the others charged at him, yelling and roaring all the way. While a couple went down, Fred included while clutching his shoulder, from what shot he was able to squeeze off he was soon covered by the others survivors

Kendrix froze as his shouts of anger quickly became screams of fear and pain. Finn made her look away as the survivors grabbed what part of the man they could get and started pulling. Hearing the sounds of a man, no matter what he had done, being torn apart alive made her cover her ears. It seemed like an eternity before she felt Finn let go of her. Despite herself, and the evidence of near silence, she looked around and immediately wished she didn’t. The survivors were moving away from what was left of the invader.

“Oh my God,”, Finn muttered at the sight. Kendrix only found the will to move again after spotting Fred on the Floor in pain, still holding his shoulder.

“Fred!”, she called out while running at him. A few of the others growled a low warning at her. Fred held up his good hand to tell them to let her come closer. “Fred don’t move,” she told him. He was obviously in pain but complied. “What do we do?”, she asked Finn.

“I don’t know,” was all he could say. Neither was trained for this sort of thing. Getting a bit desperate she started pulling on her sleeve trying to tear it off, anything to stop the bleeding.

“”Whoa,” another new voice exclaimed. A UNIT soldier had come around the corner surprising everybody.

“No,” Kendrix quickly said as the others started growling again, “he’s a friend.” She started pointing at the soldier then patted her chest, something similar to what Fred was doing, hoping that they would get the idea. When it looked like they were getting the message she addressed the soldier, “You got to help Fred.”

Despite the danger he was previously in the soldier didn’t even hesitate in rushing over.”

“Hey there Fred,” he said. “People can’t resist targeting this arm can they?” Obviously he was trying to lighten the mood despite not knowing if Fred was understanding him or not. He started pulling off his pack and retrieved a med kit. “Fortunately these invaders use energy based weapons so there’s no projectile to worry about leaving in there.” Gently he placed a patch over the wound, “there that should help with the pain, there’s a painkiller in it as well as some antibiotics.” Before long he was taping the patch in place.

“What’s going on? Where are the others?”, Finn asked as he got closer.

“More invaders came down,” was the answer as he finished addressing Fred’s wound. “It’s pretty wide open up there. Even with the other survivors getting free and getting involved,” he paused just long enough for the three of them to look at what was left of the invader that surprised them, “we’re still out numbered. Elias ordered a fall back into the stairway since it was the only defensible position and had me find you.”

“So now what do we do?”, Kendrix asked. Then she saw a couple of the other survivors start running down a hall. “No wait.” She tried to go after them before anybody could stop her. She stopped once she hit the corner and saw what they were running toward, a stairway leading up. “They’re going up!”, she yelled as more survivors rushed past her.

“Sergeant,” the soldier said in his communicator, “survivors found a way up. They’re heading topside!”

More started rushing past her. Her head said that she should try and stop them but how, there was just the three of them and she didn’t even know how many survivors they had freed. If she was being honest with herself, her heart was saying let them, these bastards deserved it. A quick glance at what was left of that guard shot that thought down just as quick.

“Now what do we do?”, Finn asked.

“It looks like they want to join the fight too. I mean this was their world. I mean your guys’ world.”

“Let’s get Fred to where Elias is,” she said softly.

“Right,” the soldier said as he helped Fred to his feet. “We’re too exposed here.” That wasn’t exactly what she meant. Not that she was sure what she meant but it was better than nothing while she and Finn helped Fred down the hall as the soldier took the lead finally pointing his weapon down the hall.

***
The Doctor found a small platform that he was currently had one foot on, as the other and his arm was currently clenching that ladder for dear life. His free hand was in a panel, “Who designed the maintenance panels around here?” Granted whomever was assigned to this probably, hopefully, had proper safety harnesses and the like, and could use both hands without worry. Feeling what felt like a switch the Doctor flipped it. A sound above him revealed a now open door. “Down here ? Really. These people really don’t make things easy do they? I should have guessed that based on how uncomfortable that chair was.” With some renewed vigor he started climbing toward that opening.

***
“Hold the line!”, Elias called out as he and the other man tried to keep the invaders back as best as they could since this particular location could only fit two without getting in each other's way. The other was guarding their rear in case they were being flanked. But no matter how you looked at it this was a losing position, just the four of them at this single point. Then more survivors came out in the open and started mailing the invaders as soon as they saw them. “Well viscous help is better than no help at all,” he said.

“Sarge! We got more incoming!” Elias saw them as well but these reinforcements seemed different than the others at first glance. For one they weren’t as heavily armored, if at all, as the others. While they held the weapons in their hands competently enough , something about them made Elias think they weren’t used to holding weapons regularly.

“This has to be a trick,” he said to himself. “There’s no way they’re that desperate.” A blast that just missed him by hitting what doorjam there was got his head back to the immediate threat, even if that threat’s attention was currently being divided at the moment.

“Sargeant,” the man he had guarding their rear called up. “Switch with me, Joey's back with Finn and Kendrix.”

“Right,” he said, according to the counter he was going to have to back away and reload soon anyway. Waiting for the other man to run up Elias quickly moved out of the way and rushed down. There he found Joey guarding the hall that led to the stairs as well as Finn and Kendrix, who was tending to an injured Fred. “How is he?”

“Shot in the shoulder,” Joey said over his.

“Well that could have been worse. Why are you here? Where’s the Doctor?” As soon as he said it he saw the answer on Finb's face.

“Up the,” he began.

“Up the ladder,” Elias more or less at the same time. “I guess we’ll find out what kind of command structure they have then. Why are you all here?”

“Fred needed help,” Finn told him

“Finn said other survivors have gotten free,” Kendrix spoke up. “And they attacked the invaders.” She looked like she wanted to continue, but the haunted look on both their faces told the whole story. They witnessed that attack

“They did,” he told both of them. Seeing how they died Elias wanted to feel sorry for them, he really did deep down. But just as deep he also knew these invaders deserved it on some level for what they did to the people on this planet, before and after the eradication. Put personal feelings had nothing to do with the situation right now, survival was his main priority right now. Handing the invader rifle he had obtained over to Finn he told him, “Help Joey guard the hall.”

“Yes sir,” Finn said and hurried to take position. After ejecting the current clip and slamming in a fresh one he handed it to Kendrix. “The Doctor on his way up to the commanded center as we speak.”

“Finn told me,” she said as she took the rifle.

“We have to hold out until them. Trust me if there is any one who can end this in one stroke, if those old stories have any shred of truth to them it’s him. And I think we both seen first hand those stories have more than a shred of truth. Guard me while I help Fred.” Honestly she looked more unsure about holding the rifle in her hand than the reinforcement he saw a bit ago. But right now he wanted her concentrating on something other than what she saw, if that was possible. And honestly his options were extremely limited at the moment. “Easy Fred, I’m just going to take a peek.” Whatever the Doctor was going to do he had better hurry.

***
A lone guard walked one of the halls that led to the command center. While he was bored he was still on high alert. And fully aware that he was the only person still up here. Based on what he was hearing from those in the control room as they passed him, also lucky he wasn’t in there the moments before that exodus happened. What was going on down there that the Commander sent everybody to try and contain it? Just what was going on?

“Excuse me,” a voice he didn’t recognize caught him off guard, “Is this the way to the kitchen?” Quickly spinning to face the voice, he was quickly tossed head over heels and completely knocked out.

Above him the Doctor adjusted his hat slightly as he looked around, “This place seemed a bit livelier earlier.” Stepping over the fallen man he walked down the hall, figuring his destination was right around the corner up ahead. Stepping around that corner he quickly stepped back and pressed against the wall as soon as he spotted the guns over the door. “Okay I do believe I’m close. Taking as quick a peek as he could the guns started to move almost as soon as he pulled it back. “Motion activated, lovely.”

Looking around his current location he realized he was by a console of some sort. “Couldn’t hurt,” he muttered as he quickly started using it. Taking a few moments longer than he wanted he was able to access those guns, “Figures they would be paranoid enough to have a way to access those guns in case the command center was compromised. Just these guns, well that’s unfortunate. Beggars can’t be choosers as they say. ” Still finding the command to power down those very weapons took a little extra to pin down. Even when it looked like he did shut them down he still didn’t charge straight out into the open. Obviously whomever was inside could quickly undo what he just did. Taking the hat off his head he looked at it with some trepidation before tossing it into the hallway then flinched back. Not hearing and type of firing, backed against the wall he took another peek out before pulling his head back. Then slowly he stepped into the hallway, eyes completely focused on those turrets, nothing. They weren’t moving at all “Lovely,” he said, reaching down, scooping up his hat and placing it firmly on top, “I like this hat.”

Going to the door, it was a breeze to open by comparison, and stepped inside. Greeted by an almost empty room. The only person inside was the Commander as he was speaking to somebody, “There has to be some sort of help nearby! We are being overrun by a handful of humans and wild animals!”

A voice responded, “You had everything you needed at your disposal. Any failure of this operation is on you.”

“On me? You are not here! You’re not dealing with the Doctor first hand. The benefactor didn’t adequately warn us on how dangerous he is.”

“Oh,” the Doctor said, making his presence known, the Commander whipped around as he stepped deeper into the room, "now that sounds like someone I would love to talk to.” No one said anything as he came closer. “Is he shy? No problem, he can just listen. Ask anybody who knows me, I just love to talk.”

“You left your supposed friends down there with those animals,” the Commander spat. “What are you going to do when those savages start tearing them asunder?"

“Let’s see how that is going?”, he answered, going over to a console and pulling up the interior security feed. Several screens popped up. He highlighted the ones showing what was going on down there. “I’m sorry is that a clerk?”, the Doctor pointed at one screen in particular, “I swear I saw him when we talked last time. No wonder my friends seem to be holding your men at bay despite being outnumbered.”

“There!” the Commander gleefully pointed out a screen where a few survivors were approaching Elias and one of his men above the cell they were in. They stopped firing but the survivors kept approaching, their body language practically screaming aggression. The Commander started laughing, bordering on maniacal as he watched with anticipation. That laughter quickly died as another one quickly jumped in between the two groups. His jaw dropped as that new survivor started making a gesture the Doctor recognized before the aggressive ones went elsewhere. “What? No, that's impossible!”

“Is it?”, the Doctor asked as he faced him. “Matbe you victims aren’t exactly as savage as you thought.”

“They’re animals!”

“Well that’s the thing about animals people tend to forget,” the Doctor told him as he stepped closer, “no matter how wild or savage they might be, they still have a mind. They’re able to recognise who’s done them kindness and who’s done them harm.” To highlight this point the security feed showed those survivors jumping on one of the guards below them before heading into one of the stairways that lead into this complex.

“They’ll tear you apart," the Commander told him. “As soon as they make it in here.”

“If they don’t see you first,” the Doctor told him, taking a step back. Looking very much like a caged animal looking for an escape. Looking at one of the doors a new look appeared on his face, one of a man who saw his only way to escape. “No,” the Doctor quickly told him as he wanted to reach out to him but knew doing so would cause him to act. Looking like a mad man he ran toward that door. “No!”, the Doctor cried out but it was too late. The Commander ran through the door, less than a moment later those turrets fired then quickly quieted. The Doctor wasted no time going to the control and locked every way into this command center, no one else was getting shot today. Also he realized that the comm link was still wide open.

“Enjoy the show?", he asked, walking to where the Commander was standing. “Hopefully you got a nice visual of what happened. I don't recall you lot being fanatical, although it wouldn’t have surprised me a bit if you were the previous time we encountered each other,” gesturing at the door the Commander had gone through he added, “but that was on another level. I’m assuming this mysterious benefactor had something to do with this. I do love a mysterious thing, it gives me so much pleasure in finding out what, or who in this case, it is.”

“What do you want?”, that voice said, an edge not there before.

“To the point them,’ the Doctor commented. “Good, I’m not in the mood for a clever back and forth. I hope this benefactor is listening because I’m only going to say this once. You’re done.”

“What do you mean ‘done’?”

“This sick experiment you ran and I don’t just mean here,” the Doctor told this voice. “I mean anywhere. If I’m correct, since you're above the recently departed, you are either the one in overall charge or close to that one. If the latter is the case then I suggest that you get this message to your leader as quickly as possible. I mean this experiment is done. If I find out someone else was subjected to this inhumane situation, not only will I stop that one, I’ll stop them all. All at once if I have to.”

“I doubt even you can pull off that feat Doctor.”

“I have a machine that can travel through time and space,” the Doctor told him, “I’m fairly certain I can. Then after that, I will locate your planet. Then I will finish what my people started with your former leader.”

“Now wait,” the Leader started to say in defiance, then their benefactor quickly reached over and muted the link. “What are you doing?”

“Agree,” he told him in response.

Nostrils flaring the Leader demanded, “What is the meaning of this?”

“Agree!”, he said sharply. “This version of the Doctor may be new to me but that tone is unmistakeable, no matter what form he is in. Agree. He will do what he threatened.”

The Leader stared at him for a long time before unmuting the link. Staring daggers at their benefactor he said one thing, “Agreed.”

Back in the command center the Doctor’s demeanor changed immediately, “Excellent. It is so nice to see that you’re so agreeable. Hopefully you’re in the mood for a conversation, I have been dying for one ever since I arrived, and I have so many questions.”

The leader pressed a couple of controls before calling a man over. Underneath the ship Elias and his men were doing everything they could to keep the invaders back. It was a losing battle but one they had to finish no matter what. Then one of the invaders went off like he activated the designation vest, them another and more quickly followed suit. More than a few of them looked as confused as he felt watching what was happening before disappearing altogether. Holding the comm unit up he demanded, “Doctor what did you do?”

“What I did?” He said in confusion, “I didn't do anything. What’s going on down there?”

“It looks like those vests just activated on their own.”

Lowering the unit in shock the Doctor quickly felt it go straight to anger, “You did this. To your own people! Have you no shame?!” A few of the consoles started sparking around him. The Doctor covered up, fearing some sort of self destruct had been activated. After several moments, and realizing that he and the ship was still there he lowered his arms, seeing several of the consoles smoldering and smoking heavily. He checked on at random, completely dead, “Well that was just rude.”

***
“What was that?!”, the leader turned on their benefactor who just stood there. “No one dictates terms to….”

“We are not ready,” came the cut off that froze him in place. He absolutely hated the affect this man had on him

“We have an army,”

“And we are still not ready,” he said calmly as he started walking around the room. “The Doctor has faced armies before, Dalek, Cybermen, just name one who was unfortunate enough who have crossed his path and I will show you one who walked away licking their wounds. Believe me my friend, one day we will be ready but that day isn’t anytime soon. Patience is the key here, and timing. When we eventually cross paths with the Doctor it will be at a time and place of our choosing, not fate.”

“Of course, you’re right,” the taste that was left in his mouth was almost unbearable.

“Of course you’re right…?”, he held a finger to his ear as he turned his head slightly.

That bad taste grew to an unfathomable degree as he stood there stewing. Through his teeth he spat out , “Master.”

“There,” he responded in an almost sickening pleasant way, “was that so hard. I have no idea why you seem to have so much trouble saying my name. It’s almost impolite not to address me by it.”

Dropping back in a chair, just to ignore the almost urgent need to wrap his hands around the other man’s throat and strangle him, he said, “Did you finish reading that transcript between the Doctor and the operation commander?”

Acting almost bored with the conversation he went, “What about it?”

“Apparently he still refers to himself as the last of the Time Lords.”

“Oh, you mean that part,” the Master said. “Let him keep thinkng that. It makes the expression he makes when he realizes I’m still around so much more delightful.”

“Despite how dangerous you have portrayed this man you do seem to enjoy playing with him,” he had to comment.

“You’re right, first time for anything I guess,” the way he smiled at him made him grip the arms of his chair so hard his knuckles were going white. Completely ignoring the display the Master went on, “It is a dangerous game, but then again he is the only game worth playing. A universe without him in it would completely boring and too easy.”

Looking introspective for a moment what he said next was completely surprising, “But in a lot of ways he’s correct. After a fashion. He is the last of the Time Lords, at least how they were before the Time War, mostly.” Chuckling to himself he looked right at him, “Honestly they have done things before the war that made what I’ve ever done look tame by comparison. No, not the last of how they were, but how he chooses to remember them. That is an interesting insight, thank you for helping me realize that.”

The Master left the room. Alone the leader slammed a fist on a chair arm. No matter how grateful he was for that man’s help, gratitude had it’s limits. And sooner or later the Master would learn exactly where that limit was.

***
Going through the halls of the ship Elias still made sure nobody lowered their guard. Mainly because he couldn’t be completely sure that all of the invaders were actually no more. Although he was slightly curious why the Doctor insisted that they take a particular path to the command complex, it seemed more like a detour than a straight shot. He had to assume the Doctor had his reasons

Fortunately, more or less, Fred and the other survivors weren’t wandering off. So he didn’t have to worry about tracking them down. However that did mean they were slightly in the way at times “They seem to be avoiding a door in particular,” Kendrix said. Looking back he saw her investigate it. “Looks like some sort of lab.”

“Maybe that was where they did this to them,” Finn offered. Kendrix expression shouted st the thought. Elias found himself sharing her current mood. It took a bit but they eventually found the command room, the Doctor had helpfully left the door wide open. Elias walked right in while everyone else who wasn’t part of UNIT entered with different levels of trepidation.

Inside the Doctor was sitting by one of the few panels that didn’t look damaged in any sort of way. Elias walked toward him, commenting, “I’m surprised the is ship is still up. If they triggered those vests to go off, why leave the ship?”

“Probably,” the Doctor began, “because like those probes everything in this place is probably so generic there’s no way to get a bead on them.”

“I’m sure some scientists in UNIT will love to put that theory to the test,” Elias told him.

“Did you destroy the place?” Finn asked as he studied a console.

“Not me,” the Doctor told them as he seemed to be studying something with some intent. “This happened shortly after Elias told me about the vests going off.”

“Seems like they destroyed something all right,” Kendrix commented. “Even if they left the ship useless from the look of things.”

“Things they felt were important,” the Doctor told them. “Operation controls, obviously, I’m sure the engine room is a right mess, star charts, personnel files. But I did find one thing still in the system that they didn’t consider important enough to wipe out completely. “ Pressing a few buttons he looked at the screen then backed up a bit to give all of them a better look, “does this person look familiar to anyone else?”

On the screen was an older gentleman, Fred got closer then started acting so excited. Kendrix looked back and forth between Fred and the screen, putting two and two together, “That’s Fred.”

“Exactly,” the Doctor said walking away from the panel. “More precisely William Henning, Dr. William Henning, I must say in that picture you look more like a William than a Fred. But why were you making a Fr sound?” The Doctor trailed off as a light went on in his eyes,”Friend, you were trying to say friend.’

Fred, or William, started nodding his head vigorously. This was the happiest any of them had seen him during all of this. Grabbing the Doctor’s hand he started shaking it just as vigorously as his head. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you too,” the Doctor told him “ Kendrix started for the panel, maybe there was something about her family. The Doctor caught her eye then shook his head slightly, he had already looked obviously. Finn held her and she was grateful although she couldn’t properly vocalize it at the moment.

***
Back at their old camp site Elias took a couple of men while the other two watched over the survivors as best as they could. “Good things that ship stores was still intacr,” Elias told one of them, “I just got in contact with the Leathbridge-Stewart, it going to take a couple of days for a UNIT ship to get here, otherwise we were going to have to figure out what edible out here to feed everybody we discovered.”

“Good thing the Doc was with us,” one of them said. Elias knew the man was slightly lucky the Doctor wasn’t around to hear that. According to rumor he hated being referred as ‘Doc’. “Otherwise we would’ve beeen in trouble.”

Elias smirked, “And to think he threatened to take Kendrix and Finn and leave us here if I didn’t tell him why we were really here.” Speak of the devil, those two had come up to them. “How are things going?”

“We found our families,” Finn told him. Elias grimaced slightly and looked in the direction of that massive burial ground they discovered when they first arrived.

“I’m sorry for your losses.” He looked around and added, “All of them.”

“Where’s the Doctor?”, Kendrix said suddenly.

“Where else,” he said looking over at the TARDIS. “Actually I’m surprised it’s still here.” Kendrix and Finn headed over and entered while Elias went back to what he was doing.

Going through the doors they found the Doctor looking at the console with a bit of distress etched on his face, “Why are you acting so temperamental now? Wait, did those UNIT men never apologize for insulting you earlier? You know that’s not on me right, I can’t make them.“ Finally looking up and noticing them then back at the controls. “Wait, is that why you were acting up? I knew you’d be worried about those two. I wasn’t going to leave until I talked to them.”

“Never thought you were big on good-byes,” Finn told him. “According to the others at least.”

“Yeah, even Elias seemed surprised that you were still here,” Kendrix added.

“Normally I am gone by now,” the Doctor admitted, “Places to go, people to see. But I was waiting.”

He walked around the console as Kendrix asked, “On what?”

“On what you two were going to decide.”

“What did we have to decide?”, Finn asked him.

“I thought it was obvious,” the Doctor muttered. “I was waiting to see what you two were going to do. I mean you could stay, help Elias with the survivors we found, maybe find a few more names for them. I’m sure whatever vessel that shows up will happily take the two of you to someplace where you can get a new life going “

“Or what?”, Finn went. “We go with you?”

“It’s an option,” the Doctor said with a slight shrug.

“Finn, we have nothing else,” Kendrix told him.

“You have to have family somewhere,” the Doctor reminded her. “Both of you. Getting to know them is also an option. See plenty of options to decide from.”

“I overheard Elias say you threatened to take the two of us and leave earlier,” Finn told him.

“An empty threat,” the Doctor assured them. “Mostly empty. I knew they had a way off so I wasn’t stranding them or anything. Besides, I have never forced any one to travel with me against their will.” All three of them looked over as a wall panel slide down revealing that screen. On it was an image of two people, a man and a woman. A really old image from the look of it, almost extremely old. The Doctor looked suddenly aggravated at the sight, “Okay, Barbara and Ian. But to be fair, when that happened I was much, much, much, much,” he stressed one final, “much younger and much, much, much ,much more impulsive than I am now.” The image changed to a young boy of some sort. “No, that does not count, Adric stowed away.”

Kendrix quipped, “The TARDIS seems more than temperamental. And how do we know you’re not going to leave us somewhere and forget about us.”

“I don’t,”the Doctor began, “force people to travel with me. And I don’t just leave them behind.” Suddenly he pointed at the console and almost angrily said, “If you put an image of Susan up there, so help me…”

Crossing his arms Finn said, “So you have left people behind.”

“Not by choice,” he admitted. “Most times I was forced to leave, in those times by my own people, when they were still around. In Susan’s case I realized she fell in love with a person we met. And I wanted her to have a happy, normal life instead of following me along, wondering what if. Other times it was for their own safety. It is never on a whim.”

They looked at each other, eventually Finn went, “Are all you stops like this one?”

“Oh no,” the Doctor told him. When Finn looked like he was just starting to relax when the Doctor added, “Most of my stops are much more interesting.” Finn looked unsure how to react to that.

Kendrix said, “It’s not like we have anything important to do I’m in.”

Finn's first instinct was to say no. But something Elias had told him had stuck with him. With some reluctance he said, “So am I.”

Looking happy at their decision the Doctor pointed at the lever that closed the door. Kendrix grabbed it and pulled, making the door close behind them. “Alright next stop, the universe. And I think I know where to go.” Operating a few controls by him the time rotator in the middle started going up and down as an otherworldly grinding sound filled the air.

On the outside Elias looked over at the TARDIS after hearing that same sound and watch as the ship faded away and disappeared. Smiling to himself he softly said, “good luck you two.”
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top