Disney Preparing Its Own Take On King Kong

Staff member
Disney unexpectedly announced this week they are developing a live-action TV show about King Kong for the Disney+ streaming service. The series will reportedly explore the origins of Kong (why is he so big anyway?) and be produced by James Wan’s production company. Stephany Folsom (Paper Girls) will be head writer.
But wait a minute….isn’t Kong currently being used by Warner Bros for a series of big monster movies? How can Disney produce something with Kong in it at the same time? Is Kong public domain, or what? The answer is yes….and no.
Comicbook.com looked into it and found a tangled mess. The character of King Kong was created by Merian C. Cooper, who published a novelization of the basic story prior to the release of the RKO...

Continue reading...

Under My Spell
So King Kong and Kong are two different characters, Kong is copyrighted while King Kong has questionable status. Disney is willing to take this risk because they have billions.

I'm a Champion
I looooove King Kong, and I really hope this turns out well.
However, the fact that it was produced by Disney Plus makes me extremely skeptical.
Even though I like the Marvel Cinematic Universe content on Disney Plus, they kept trying to make the shows disagreeable.

Right Wing Youtubers are going to make violent reactions again and accuse the show of being woke like they always do. Especially if there is a lead female character.

Because there are allegedly numerous projects in development yet they are all over the place, I believe the Monsterverse brand suffers as a result.
Furthermore, there were reports that Netflix was creating an animated series about Skull Island with ties to the Monsterverse.

Protector of the Ocean
Atomic Monster Studios, run by James Wan, is where the show is being created.
James Wan collaborates with WB rather frequently, but his company frequently works on TV projects with a variety of companies. Questionable Loyalties eh?

If producers will keep main things from story, main charcter should be female since she can calm Kong. Or they will change it into man like they will change James Bond into female?

British Columbia Made
I hope that his won't impact the Monsterverse. Disney is becoming a monopoly monster and they want to harm WB while it is struggling because of the discovery merger.

Skull Island will not be the source of material for this project because Warner owns the rights to that setting. I believe that they based this on the one in which he fell in love with a woman and scaled a tower. Due to the fact that Warner Brothers owns it, Disney is unable to make a film based on Skull Island. Although King Kong and Skull Island are part of the public domain, Warner Bros. Pictures produced the film.