Formally known as Bennu
Welcome to the discussion thread for Ultraman Z, episode 3; "Live Coverage! The Monster Transport Operation".

ultraman-z03.jpg

This Week: STORAGE was ordered to transport the ancient monster, Gomora to an uninhabited island after a construction company discover it in a mountain. Haruki heads out in Sevenger, but Gomora suddenly awakens! Haruki has no choice but to stop its rampage! We also see the debut of a new form Ultraman Z Beta Smash!

Remember, this is a SPOILER ZONE! If you are trying to avoid spoilers, this is not the place for you.
HOWEVER! This is not the place to discuss future episodes. You may discuss previous episodes, next-episode previews and related subjects, but stick to the episode at hand. Please be considerate of those who haven't watched ahead yet. Thank you

S

scikaiju

Interesting episode this week. Never thought I"d see a case of hay fever play I to the plot like that, at least not like it did. Wonder if Gamora's recent history as a good giant monster had something to do with him not being portrayed as a typical rampaging one. Either way his being blown up seemed a tad unnecessary given the situation. But I guess they need Beta Smash to have a strong debut. Not sure how I feel about some of the lighter touches they used here though like that object that dropped on to a fallen Sevenger for the "ring bell". I don't mind it as a one time thing since it highlights the masked wrestler look the form has but if it's a recurring thing it's going to get old fast. I am a little surprised they didn't continue some of the personality quirks of some of the cast this week, the whole gerbil thing (guess she decided being professional in a room full of older men was more important) and the whole is he Juggular with the captain. Then again there wasn't a lot of opportunities to present it particularly with the lattet. I'll admit Z trying to communicate that he wanted that medal was amusing. Over all it was a good episode. And not a spoiler since he's in the opening but Windam is coming.

This episode had a bit of a slow start tbh. I found myself thinking "come on, get to the fight already!" But once Gomora woke up it was a lot of fun. I'm still watching the second half of Taiga, and Z just has a certain something that Taiga lacked

While I have Taiga on the brain, I loved how Beta Smash did some "big muscle posing" reminiscent of Titus' debut.

I kinda liked the silly English-speaking lines. I wonder if it's how they're expecting us English-speaking fans to react? "Oh, it's like that giant robot show I watched as a kid" etc.

Also, during the initial press scene one of the media people is wearing a jacket with "KCB" written on it (on the left, the logo is in blue, yellow and green). KCB was the organisation that the news team worked for in Ultraman Gaia!

kcb.jpg
Wonder if Gamora's recent history as a good giant monster had something to do with him not being portrayed as a typical rampaging one. Either way his being blown up seemed a tad unnecessary given the situation. But I guess they need Beta Smash to have a strong debut.
Tbh the Ultraman franchise has a long history of monsters that are totally minding their own business and not threatening anyone at all until humans show up trying to murder them. It's always difficult not to feel sorry for them when Ultraman blows them away.

Also, Beta Smash is designed to resemble the Tsubuaraya hero Redman, who is rather well known for being a bit violent and eager to get into a fight.
I am a little surprised they didn't continue some of the personality quirks of some of the cast this week, the whole gerbil thing (guess she decided being professional in a room full of older men was more important) and the whole is he Juggular with the captain.
I mean, she did call Ultraman "Zett-sama" (which the subtitles amusingly translated as "Lord Z") so they kinda included her crush on him still.