K

Kamen Rider IXA

>slow pacing
>most of the cast did nothing useful
>tact on last minute message
Sounds like Gridman alright.

It was just high school nonsense.
Megaranger themselves had more to them as characters compared to Gridman kids that barely had anything to do, for example (at best Ippei can have occasional decent focus-episodes. Takeshi was only somewhat entertaining cast member for me and he barely interacted with main heroes. And the way his... "ending stuff" happens was awkward af, because of that).
To give more credit to Megaranager, despite having such a big focus on high school life of the cast, show could also get remarkably intense. 3-on-3 giant fight with last three Nejirejia is still one of my all-time favourite Sentai mech battles.

Bland and based
Regardless of your weird quality metric, Exkaiser didn't need to be as nothing as it was. Fighbird was right after Exkaiser and was much better already thanks to having a plot where things actually happen and characters you can actually remember. Something that Gridman could have benfited from as well.

D

Dr Kain

It was loaded with problems:

>tone took itself way too seriously

How is this a problem?

>most of the cast did nothing useful
>low quality music
>annoying rival villain
>slow pacing

Everything you just described was featured in the first two episodes to the live action show. So how is this a problem with the anime?

>choppy animation
>tact on last minute message

So like every anime that has come out in recent years?

It sucked ass. Not as hard as Iron Menstruation Gundam or Crap la Crap, but it did.

No idea what Crap la Crap is supposed to be, but IBO is one of the best Gundam series out there. Not Zeta/ZZ/Unicorn good, but on par with the likes of Victory, 08thMS Team, and G Gundam.

Kuuga I can see your view on, but Megaranger? It was just high school nonsense.

If high school nonsense is all you got out of Megaranger then you didn't actually watch the show beyond the first episode.

After all, how is the rangers thinking they were going to die in 24 hours high school nonsense? Or when Black got injured due to Red's recklessness, causing Red to realize the error of being a hot head? Oh, what about the entire Neiji Ranger arc? Believing they died saving the world?

D

Dr Kain

It is also a subpar Tsuburaya show that doesn't have much going for it beyond good visuals.
Megaranger and Kuuga (though maybe first half of Hibiki would be a better example in this case) did Gridman's thing better, because, unlike Gridman's team, producer Takatera understood how to make grounded SoL-focused tokusatsu compelling. Not to say that Gridman is awful or anything, but for the most part it's just bland, basically being Brave Exkaiser of the 90s toku.
But I haven't seen Trigger's anime yet, so can't compare them.

I'll tell you what though, for as lackluster as Gridman seems to be, it's a godsend compared to Ultraman The Ultimate Hero. I'm three episodes into that show and it's completey dogshit. From a production and writing standpoint, it makes Ultra Seven X look good, but unlike Seven X, you can at least have fun with how bad it is. I just can't even comprehend the level of garbage this show is though. Like in the first episode Ultraman and Baltan never even fight. Ultraman just holds out his hand in a bent pose and hops back and forth as if he is stuck while the Baltan just levitates to him or something. This is an utter embarassment. I feel sorry that Kane Kosugi even had to deal with this bullshit and was even willing to do Kakuranger.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
Sounds like Gridman alright.
It really isn't.
Megaranger themselves had more to them as characters compared to Gridman kids that barely had anything to do
Just because something is fleshed out doesn't mean it's good.
Takeshi was only somewhat entertaining cast member for me and he barely interacted with main heroes. And the way his... "ending stuff" happens was awkward af, because of that
And that's a bad thing because....?
Megaranager, despite having such a big focus on high school life of the cast
The focus of your argument was life slicing portions.
Exkaiser didn't need to be as nothing as it was.
You mean high quality animation?
Fighbird was right after Exkaiser and was much better already thanks to having a plot where things actually happen and characters you can actually remember.
Hey that's cheating, Fighbird is the best entry of the franchise. Compare it to Might Gaine or GaoGaiGar at least.
How is this a problem?
Toku shows aren't supposed to be too seriously, Amazons tried that and it was real bad.
Everything you just described was featured in the first two episodes to the live action show. So how is this a problem with the anime?
The toku is actually worth watching, SSSS is not.
So like every anime that has come out in recent years?
Pretty sure Misfit of Demon King Academy didn't have these.
No idea what Crap la Crap is supposed to be
Kill la Kill? Come on, Doc.
IBO is one of the best Gundam series out there
Does Funimation or Anime News Network pay you to say such incorrect statements? It is obvious they do that for money, just look at how they failed to frame Vic Mignogna.
If high school nonsense is all you got out of Megaranger then you didn't actually watch the show beyond the first episode.
Nope, saw the whole thing, high school nonsense and Javius doing nothing brought it down.

D

Dr Kain

I wish Funimation andANN paid me. It would make my job easier. IBO took a realistic approach to Gundam by making the mobile suits actually feel like armors with weight. Tell me another Gundam series that has done that. Oh, and another Gundam series that has had death scenes ripped right out of The Godfather.

Hold up, did you just defend Vic? Have you ever met him? The dude is a fucking creeper and if you defend him then there is no point in ever debating with you again as you are defending sexual harassment and pedophilia.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

It really isn't.
Show with little to no progression? Tick.
The majority of the cast are cut from being actively involved in the story, not even knowing about Gridman, Digifer or any of the battles for like 3/4 of it? Tock.
Focusing episodes on one-note preachy messages without giving characters actual depth, rendering the entire point of making it SoL meaningless in the first place? Tick-tock, goes the clock.
If anything, episodes like Lonely Hacker show that Gridman NEEDED to take itself more seriously, but was too afraid to, so you end with chickenshit endings where instead of helping a PTSD-riddled kid with his social anxieties, it has Gridman magically curing him of all his problems. This is what waste of potential is.

Just because something is fleshed out doesn't mean it's good.
It means people put actual effort into show's characters.

The focus of your argument was life slicing portions.
It was that Takatera knows how to make grounded SoL-focused tokusatsu compelling. Which includes heroes being pushed to their limits and having to actually put effort to win frequently.

And that's a bad thing because....?
Because separating your antagonist the from heroes for 40 episodes isn't interesting. Kuuga managed to make it work by keeping a lot of stuff about Grongi vague (since they're supposed to be an unknown civilization with different culture), so viewers were learning about the show along with heroes basically. And I still think it needed more personal conflicts between MC and villains. Gridman doesn't have much going for it, so it misses out on the biggest opportunity to develop both heroes and villains. Except in the end it wants you to buy that your villain has developed, so it tries to have it both ways.

You mean high quality animation?
Around 70-80% of Exkaiser "high quality animation" is stock footage. And even that aside, it's far from a the only show with good animation (even in its own franchise). so why should I waste 50 episodes on disposable one-note plots, which are realized better in actual slice of life shows anyway? At least Eldrans tried to have fun antagonists with personalities. Exkaiser couldn't even manage that.

Hey that's cheating, Fighbird is the best entry of the franchise. Compare it to Might Gaine or GaoGaiGar at least.
I like Fighbird, but it's definitely not the best Brave entry. Might Gaine is a much better contender for it actually, but really all Braves that are not Dagwon OVA are better than Exkaiser.

Toku shows aren't supposed to be too serious, Amazons tried that and it was real bad.
Amazons tried too hard from what I've seen, but generally being serious isn't an issue with toku. If anything, the opposite is true now, because one of reasons Saber's failing so far is prioritizing bad gags over giving characters actual personalities. Most of post-Hibiki shows are afraid that viewers can't cope unless there is a gag thrown their way every minute or so (Kabuto, Wizard, Ex-Aid and Zero-One had it the worst).

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
IBO took a realistic approach to Gundam by making the mobile suits actually feel like armors with weight. Tell me another Gundam series that has done that.
All of the non-SD ones, you don't watch Gundam clearly.
Oh, and another Gundam series that has had death scenes ripped right out of The Godfather.
I never cared for the Godfather movies, ripping off old gangster movies means nothing.
The dude is a fucking creeper and if you defend him then there is no point in ever debating with you again as you are defending sexual harassment and pedophilia.
I'll believe it when there's any shred of reliable evidence, not obvious lies and doctored evidence so kindly go **** yourself with broke glass. I bet you also think Bill Cosby is guilty because the lying shrills had numbers on their side and not actual evidence. This is why I'm in men's rights groups, when I'm on jury I have a strict no evidence no guilty verdict policy. Testimony means less than dirt.
This is what waste of potential is.
It's a toku series not a lesson in psychology.
It means people put actual effort into show's characters.
That still doesn't mean it's good.
Which includes heroes being pushed to their limits and having to actually put effort to win frequently.
Like when Kuuga dies and revives for no reason! Wait....
Because separating your antagonist the from heroes for 40 episodes isn't interesting.
It works more often than you'd think.
Except in the end it wants you to buy that your villain has developed, so it tries to have it both ways.
I buy it.
Around 70-80% of Exkaiser "high quality animation" is stock footage.
Just like Gurren Lagann and Evangelion.
so why should I waste 50 episodes on disposable one-note plots, which are realized better in actual slice of life shows anyway?
Because slice of life nonsense is not why people normally watch these? Watch junk like Patlabor for that manure.

Formally known as Bennu
Can we not talk about disturbing subjects like Cosby..etc here?

D

Dr Kain

Can we not talk about disturbing subjects like Cosby..etc here?

Given that fucktard just revealed the type of person he truly is, I can't say I'm surprised he would defend Cosby as well, but whatever, he can go **** himself and his entire family.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

It's a toku series not a lesson in psychology.
If it didn't intend to do anything with it, it shouldn't have touched the subject in the first place.

That still doesn't mean it's good.
Do you think that lack of effort > effort?

Like when Kuuga dies and revives for no reason! Wait....
He died because he was poisoned, facing a Grongi with different type of fight style.
He got revived because his belt was artificially stimulated with electricity, releasing new energy that ended up ruining his body in the long term as a price.

I buy it.
And I don't.

Evangelion.
Eva had plenty of non-stock footage high quality animation.

Because slice of life nonsense is not why people normally watch these?
So why does 90% of the show consist of it?
Why did people behind Gridman and Exkaiser make them SoL-focused, if no one watches these shows for it?