Curiosity times a million, I'm watching Megaranger!

I'm now up on episode 29, and going in I expected to be rolling my eyes and groaning and just not enjoying myself, but when Miku fell down that open manhole and yelled out that she was still hungry...For real, I laughed out loud. Oh, and Yusaku cooking up that meal to distract the monster so that Miku could beat him was also really good.
 
^ I think my favorite part about that episode is when the five of them are running towards the mission, the instrumental Megaranger OP playing all heroically, and then Mega Pink backtracks to look at a restaurant's window display and the OP dies.

Oh, and suit actors Kazutoshi Yokoyama and Yasuhiro Takeuchi as a couple of those crazy Diet Crepe dancers. :laugh:
 
I'm curious as to how Arakawa ended up with the final episode. Didn't he typically do episodes that could be considered filler episodes?

For Megaranger, yeah, but remember that Takatera and a lot of staff on Megaranger were coming directly off of Carranger. I believe Arakawa wrote some of the milestone Carranger episodes for Takatera already, so Takatera probably had no reason to believe Arakawa couldn't write a good ending. Especially since, in a lot of ways, Megaranger comes off to me now as, "Let's try and do a show with Carranger's energy, but play things straight."

I can't remember off the top of my head if Arakawa wrote Carranger's final episodes or not-- but I know there's a really good, pretty plotty Carranger run he did where I was kind of shocked it wasn't Urasawa when I first looked at the credits. Arakawa may deserve a lot more credit for Carranger on the whole, and particularly how well it manages Sentai's traditional story beats, than he tends to get, honestly.

And this is something I've never exactly been too clear on: When exactly does pre-production start on these shows? At what point would Kobayashi juggle her Gingaman scripts with her MegaRanger ones?

It's hard to say because it's changed so much over the years. In the modern era, we pretty much know that they begin work developing next year's iteration sometime during the first quarter of the current series. That seems to be why the creative staff generally changes completely from year to year, so one team can be designing next year's stuff while this year's show is being made.

Back when Gingaman was made, it seems like everything was a lot more last minute. That said, for a writer as prolific as Kobayashi, I really doubt that developing Gingaman while she was writing Megaranger was all that hard. Remember that tokusatsu writers pretty much don't write anything for fight scenes, beyond major dialogue they want worked into the scene. So it's probably easier to belt out a Sentai script than a lot of other things. And it's not like she'd be developing the whole show's story bible single-handedly-- Takatera is infamously hands-on in that regard.
 
Have just finished episode 32 of Megaranger, and that could not have been a better sendoff for Girell, period. And hey, the team's finally got their five-piece combination mecha, and it uses a rocket for it's finishing move, very nice.

Also, INET is amazing and is setting a very high bar for all other big sentai organizations to match.
 
Have just finished episode 32 of Megaranger, and that could not have been a better sendoff for Girell, period. And hey, the team's finally got their five-piece combination mecha, and it uses a rocket for it's finishing move, very nice.

Also, INET is amazing and is setting a very high bar for all other big sentai organizations to match.

Those were some of my favorite episodes in Megaranger dude :thumbs:
 
And now, at episode 36, Mega Silver has finally gotten his very own giant robot. I think this is the biggest gap between a ranger's arrival on the scene and the acquisition of their mecha.
 
So I started watching Megaranger as well. I am up to episode 05 so far and I am loving the show, so far it is doing a lot of stuff right. Kenta is probably the most charismatic Red senshi ever. He is somewhat loud, but not in an obnoxious way (like Banban or Sosuke), plus he is quite funny (he beating the kendo club was great). I am enjoying MegaYellow and MegaPink characters, they don't "feel" like the regular/generic female senshi we get in tons of shows, plus Mega Pink is extremely cute (I just hope they get good character development). Not much to say about the other two senshi, MegaBlack is my least favorite so far and MegaBlue, well, is a Blue senshi. Kubota Hakase is an amazing mentor/side kick, I loved how he believe in Megarangers until the end in episode 05. Lastly, the villains (Nezirejia) are cool too, mainly Shibolena and Yugande. That Bibidebi thingy is weirdly amusing too. :anime: Can't wait to see the infamous Nezirangers in action!
 
Heh, actually finished Megaranger a short while back but haven't gotten around to posting my thoughts on it here until now! Well, now I am.

*Takes deep breath*

The show as a whole is really good, definitely among the best; my favorite part of the show is INET itself, they did a really good job of presenting it as a real and pervasive organization with a bureaucracy and everything, members coming and going as needed in believable ways, and Dr. Kubota himself is one of the best mentors ever in the history of the franchise. Another aspect I really liked is how the show dealt with it's themes concerning how people are flawed, freely showing this to be a good thing while at the same time not shying away from how it can seriously bite us in the ass.

And then, when they finally revealed Dr. Hineler's backstory, you got to see why the endgame played out the way it did, with so many people turning against the team and what it means for the show as a whole, and so Kenta and the others are really damn heroic for fighting on in a situation that could and has left older and more experienced people broken and bitter.

In fact, one of my few complaints is that they really could have paced out the reveal of Hineler's backstory better, given us bits and pieces instead of waiting until the very end. Oh well, like I said, it's a damn good show and I highly recommend it to anyone.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top