Could Sentai work without the Red Ranger?

I can't wait for the lengthy rant about Miss America.

Yeah but, on the plus side, the one Kurama chose to teach his secret technique to, was Maria.

But back on topic, Super Sentai, like any brand, needs a flagship, and that's the Red Ranger. It's as simple as that.
 
Last edited:
Yeah but, on the plus side, the one Kurama chose to teach his secret technique to, was Maria.

Maria was pretty cool.

Diane, not so much. Although, I attribute that to her revenge subplot basically going nowhere.

In the end, I'm glad Diane was replaced by a better character. I just think that it wouldn't have had to happen if her character hadn't gone in the direction it did.
 
Has anyone also noticed that the red sentais always stand in the middle of the team, flanked by two teammates on either side, when they are doing the henshin/roll call? By standing in the center, he draws the most attention to himself, even if he wasn't the most experienced person on the team (like when Ban joined the Dekaranger). This shows that Toei does perceive red sentai as the leader, or someone who has an unique status within the team.
 
Good thread, Lazy.:thumbs:

I'll give my opinion. It's just my personal view of things:

I don't think the Red Ranger should be removed. But, i approve the idea that he shouldn't be the only thing that makes the plot works.

I really like Red, but i think the other colors also deserve to get good spotlight in the series. If the series is being called about a series focusing on a team, they should focus the team. IMHO

In my personal theory about the PR colors (which some parts apply to sentai) I see the Red Ranger as the center of the team. I see it as the one who stands in the center and normally the one who either represent the team or the main driving force for the team dynamics or is the leader, but however, he shouldn't be the only thing in series. Instead, the other characters also have to have the development, they must have something to serve as a complement to what the Red Ranger already have/is to make the team functional. They need to important because in the end of the day, the series shows a team.


I completly agree with that.

It's just my opinion, but i think put too much Red Ranger focus kinda made the other members become irrelevant or not appealing at all, which would give to them the definition of... useless. They kinda become characters you just ask "why are they there?".

I'm okay with Red being treated as main character or being the one to represent the team (since the color become a tradition and is in all series) but i'm okay with it as long as the other members are showed to have some importance inside the team.
Gekiranger, for example, even if it was a lot about Jan, at least, Retsu and Ran had some elements that made them interesting/relevant for me(Retsu was a very skilled fighter and Ran was leader in the paper) while Go had a good introduction and relation to the storyline and Rio and Mele developed. Ken, even with defects (in my opinion), also had a decent focus.

Personally, i don't watch Kamen Rider often, because i'm not a big fan of solo heroes (it's not because i think they are bad, i like them, but it's just my personal taste). I prefer team because made things look more interesting. IMHO


Every series has had a Blue Ranger as well as a Red. Every series but Changeman has had a Yellow.

Lazy, actually there was more series with no Yellow (sadly, IMHO). Those are JAQK and Battle Fever:thumbs:


I really need time to watch Justirisers.

But i agree that the smaller cast helped to make things more focused on the entire team.

Personally i used to hate trios, but after some times and watch Gekiranger and Rescue Force, i think become very found with trios and quartets.

By the way, the only thing it didn't appeal to me on Justiriser it was Glen being the one to become Shirogane. I watched the transformation in videos and it seemed that it would be more logical if it was Mio transforming into Shirogane. I understand the reasons (since Justiriser mainly focus on only 3 heroes) but the scene just looked strange IMHO
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…