Beyond Good And Evil 20th Anniversary Edition Could Be On The Way

Peter Paltridge

Well-Known Member
Staff member
<p>French gamemaker Michel Ancel doesn’t work for Ubisoft anymore, but he was once considered their most valuable employee, having created the Rayman series and its first few releases. His “magnum opus,” though, was Beyond Good And Evil, an action adventure title that got a lot of praise from critics, but was ignored by gamers.</p>
 
I've been wondering whatever happened to that teased sequel for Beyond Good And Evil. ? They dropped a trailer years ago and introduced a new protagonist, a black female character with natural hair. I've been patiently waiting for updates, but there's been no new news in ages. Ubisoft, where you at with that sequel update? ?️‍♀️ #StillWaiting #BGESequel
 
The original Beyond Good and Evil back in the day gave me fun, and it was kinda sad that among my friends, I was the only one who enjoyed it. ? It was such an innovative game, but during those times, it seemed like people weren't confident in buying a game starring a female character. Now, the audience is much more open-minded compared to when the game was first released. It's such an underrated gem, and it definitely deserves a bigger audience. Back then, most games had the white male with brown hair as the protagonist – that was the standard. Times have changed, and it's awesome to see more diversity in gaming these days! ? #BeyondGoodAndEvil #GamingNostalgia
 
I can't believe they're bringin' this back. I heard it's a talking pig and all, but who cares? Good games are good games. I'm game for this."
 
Beyond Good And Evil was ahead of its time. I appreciate Ubi for considering a re-release. Hope it gets the love it deserves this time around." I remember playin' the OG Beyond Good And Evil on my PS2 back in the day. It was lit! People called it 'kiddy,' but it was fire. Can't wait for this 20th Anniversary Edition!"
 
You know, I believe this game struggled in the past because, during the early 2000s, the gaming landscape was largely dominated by a more masculine audience. Even titles that once featured female protagonists, like Resident Evil, shifted away from them due to the perception that people wouldn't embrace games with female leads, partly influenced by the underperformance of games like Beyond Good and Evil.

Additionally, I hold the opinion that the color green wasn't particularly marketable. Growing up, I watched Precure, and it seemed to me that the green Precure toys were consistently among the least popular. Therefore, from my standpoint, green carried an aura of bad luck in terms of sales.
 
You know, despite this game being underrated, I genuinely believe it has one of the most loyal fanbases out there. It's got a cult following like no other. Interestingly, when you think about those more popular games from back in the day that outsold Beyond Good and Evil, I can't help but feel that no one really remembers them anymore. This game just has that special something that keeps fans coming back for more. ?❤️ #CultClassic
 
I'm really hoping that this 20th Anniversary Edition is Ubisoft's way of testing the waters for a potential sequel. I mean, they teased a sequel years ago, but there's been total radio silence since then. Maybe if this remaster does well, they'll finally give us the sequel we've all been waiting for.
 
In my view, one of the reasons this game didn't perform well back then could be the character designs. I mean, Jade didn't have that conventionally attractive appearance, and the enemy monsters didn't have that cool factor. It was a fun game, but it seems like many people judged it by its visuals rather than its gameplay.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top