I love seeing Black characters in games because it's nice to see a character who looks like me. Someone I can relate with since the gaming world is dominated by Caucasian and Asian people. I am very offended with the way Barret is played.He talks with heavy ebonics, He is like a thug ghetto stereotype. Yes he is a big and strong black man but he should not be acting like the angry black man stereotype. This is their opportunity to have a strong African American character who could be a role model to black kids but they ruined that opportunity by making him a caricature. I am very uncomfortable with his voice actor. Square Enix needs to be careful on their potrayal of black characters. I liked this game but Barrett's portrayal is my only complaint.

You are being too sensitive. Barret is also not African American. He is not even from Earth. He is Black but he is not an earthling.

I don't think his portrayal is offensive at all. He is a very likable character with strong sense of Justice and care for nature. He is also a good father to his daughter. He is one of my favorite characters in the game. Not all big guys have to be a gentle giant. He is an Alpha male that is why he acts that way and he is angry because Shinra is evil.

He is the leader of a resistance and a rebellion so I expect him to have a personality like that. As the leader of Avalanche he have to show he is imposing and strong so he can organize and lead the group. We see a softer side of him whenever he was with his daughter.

Administrator
Staff member
I don't mind his portrayal at all and the actors are given freedom on how they want to portray their characters. Barrett's actor is also black. He have the liberties to portray Barrett the way he wanted to. He may resonate with that kind of accent and it works.

So what do you want him to sound like? Oxford Graduate who lives in the suburbs?

Yes he is a stereotype but at least an actual African American guy voices him and not a white guy trying to fake a blaccent. Also he is not a bad guy so in a way he broke the stereotype of a stereotype.

Panda PingPing
I actually find him cool. There is nothing wrong with his characterization and as someone here said earlier, he is one of the heroes.

OP why sensitive? He is a great representation. Havig Do you seriously want all Black people to sound like they work for the corporate?