Avengers Line-Up Revealed

When your talking about Avengers founders you cant forget Hulk in the mix. But he might be the villain of the movie, which wouldnt be that bad since he was already established in the Marvel Movie world.
[hide]
It's based on the Ultimates, Hulk is going to eat Freddie Prinz Jr











And Hulk 2003 was the better movie[/hide]
 
Though everyone has there right to choose which one they enjoyed the most, I still am amazed to see that some people would prefer the 03 version rather then the 08. The 08 version kicked major ass! Loved that Hulk. The 03's hulk is sweet as well but, I kindah liked how they portrayed the hulk in 08 better.
 
i believe they're going to have a female lead as one of the founder.....mayb the wasp?
they cant just have a show with just men in tights running around bashing each other senseless without some sex appeal.
 
You've never read Steve Englehart's West Coast Avengers, have you? One major subplot was about Hank getting past the wife-beating incident and reinventing himself in a way that actually works, as Dr. Pym, Scientific Adventurer. I always thought that was his best identity, and Englehart actually knew how to utilize his character. Unfortunately, no writer since has bothered to write him well.
Yes, I have. Hank and Jan's relationship has been fixed dozens of times after that as well. Hank has manned up a number of times after that as well. But I still say no one's been able to make him a good character. Someone who really sticks with the fans. Tony Stark went through Demon in a Bottle, and yet he's moved beyond that because the character stands on his own from say, Reed Richards. Whereas the only real thing Hank Pym has different or interesting than the other two is abject failure, wife-slapping, and schizophrenia. My personal height of the character was during the abysmal Secret Invasion wherein they revealed that they had multiple Skrulls play Hank Pym because he was too goddamn crazy and they eventually broke. Prior to that, Busiek got some good play out of the character by having two Hank Pym's. But again... the schizophrenia is the hook in both of those cases.

Which is why whenever any time a new writer hops on the character, he reverts. Sad, but true.

There's a reason Hank was never even brought up for the Illuminati. Even Cap and Black Panther got honorable mentions.
NEWAVNIL001.jpg


Maybe if they pushed him so far into a pseudo Doc Savage like character, but that hasn't been done. And even Dan Slott has yet to really work that angle in Mighty.
 
Man I miss Englehart. Too bad all he does now is bitch on the internet.

"The Ultron Initiative" was the last Avengers story that was worth a **** , AND it repaired Hank and Janet's relationship to boot. Honest sincerity and maturity in THIS title is a thing of the past.

I think Marvel fucking over the Ultraverse really broke his spirit. You can tell he invested a lot of his energy into it, his Ultraverse characters were original creations of his in a universe he helped design from the ground up, and Marvel just fucked it all over. Badly. I really don't blame him for being depressed--The Night Man and The Strangers are possibly my favorite comics of all time, and it pains me to think of how Marvel screwed them over.

And back to Hank and Jan, I don't think they should've ever gotten back together. Even before the wife-beating incident, their relationship screamed unhealthy. Let's see...Hank starts dating Jan because she resembled his dead ex (big red flag there!). After he becomes Yellowjacket, Jan marries him because she knew he wouldn't propose to her if he was in his right mind. I'm sorry, but taking advantage of someone being mentally ill to marry them is really squicky. They really weren't meant for each other, their relationship was unhealthy from the start, and when they made up after the incident, they should've just remained friends.

It's been a while--who got them back together in the first place? Was it Roy Thomas on his AWC run? As much as I loved Thomas' Silver Age stuff, his AWC really disappointed me. Granted, he had to deal with the mess Byrne caused, but still...

My personal height of the character was during the abysmal Secret Invasion wherein they revealed that they had multiple Skrulls play Hank Pym because he was too goddamn crazy and they eventually broke.

Oh geez--that's...special. Really special. I must've missed that issue. Of course, I'd dropped so many comics by then that I missed a lot of stuff. Marvel has really turned into a constant stream of Wall Bangers. I'm guessing Bendis wrote that one--that guy has no clue how to write the Avengers, and there's a reason I dropped it during his abysmal Alpha Flight arc.

There's a reason Hank was never even brought up for the Illuminati. Even Cap and Black Panther got honorable mentions.

That was more because the Illuminati was going for people with huge domains, though. Cap is...well, Cap. T'Challa's a king--he was asked for the same reason Namor and Black Bolt were asked. Speaking of T'Challa, he's also a poster boy for character derailment...as far as I'm concerned, everything that's happened with him since Priest's books got cancelled out from under him didn't happen.

Maybe if they pushed him so far into a pseudo Doc Savage like character, but that hasn't been done. And even Dan Slott has yet to really work that angle in Mighty.

Actually, I think that's what Englehart was trying to do--it just didn't catch on. Damn shame, as it was my favorite version of Hank.

But I think the Avengers in general, not just Hank, have been in a writing slump since the '90s. While Busiek and Johns wrote some good issues, their runs were pretty hit-and-miss, enough that I can't list either as being among my favorites. The last Avengers writer whose run I thoroughly loved was Bob Harras in the early-mid '90s (and Waid doesn't count, since his run only lasted three issues). And before Harras, there was Roger Stern on the main book and Englehart on the Whackos.
 
No Wasp and Ant Man for one thing. You can't have Cap, Iron Man and Thor without having them, too. All five of them are founding members of the Avengers. Anything less than that is below standard.

I make an exception in the case of the Hulk because he was sort of on a revolving door as far as being a member.

seconded as well if they're going to make the avengers movie it SHOULD have ant man and wasp even if they're 'minor" characters
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top