As someone who hasn't seen any Kamen Rider before Decade...

Ignoring the Decade discussion, since that will take you going around in more circles than a farmer investigating his freshly extraterrestrial violated crops, I can only throw one bit of advice on where to go from Decade:

Yes, in a way you should forget everything you know in terms of story, or at least remember that Decade was in fact different stories and characters from the main serieses. HOWEVER, I would highly suggest looking back over it and remembering which worlds you liked seeing.

Sure, Ryuki world was completely different in it's original series, as there was no trial system, Reiko was a reporter, and we missed out on the world's second greatest boss outside of Mr. Kougami/Cakeboss. (seriously, if Ore Journal was hiring, I suspect I'd be fired for not being able to keep a straight face at the Editor-in Chief's antics)

But the idea of 13 Riders is there. The Last Man Standing concept is there. Shinji trying to do the right thing while everyone else has their own agenda is there.

Think about what worlds grabbed you, and what about them grabbed you, and I think you can safely go from there. As long as you remember that Decade is AU, I still think it's an excellent series to 'dip your feet' into other Rider worlds so you can see what they're all about and what they might come to and decide what to watch next. I tend to think it's slightly more reliable than watching the first two or three episodes in a series, since oftentimes it takes two to three episodes to set up the story in full.

Bottom line: just give the worlds that you found interesting in Decade a shot. Just remember that they're AU, so you'll likely be lost on story. But if it pulled you and you liked it, I think you've still got a good chance of enjoying the main series.
 
But, how was that even possible?! I thought the movie took place 29 seconds after Amazon's world.:confused2

I mean the old picture that is there since the beginning of the movie. It was taken when Tsukasa left his sister before he lost his memories, and had been in Eijiro's house all the time for some reason.

Eijiro is shown looking at that same picture in the tv show during episode 27. In the beginning of the movie, they go look at the picture again after Eijiro says that he had seen a photo of that house before somewhere.

That doesn't create any extra problems for the movie taking place after Amazon World. The problems are others (like the lack of a tie in scene or the Heisei Rider group not using that chance to tell Decade that he was messing up).
 
Agito is actually supposed to be based on a dragon. So they were never meant to be similar.

Say what now? That gives me more appreciation for Ryuki, although I do have to wonder why they would use dragons back to back.

There is official word.
Ah, sorry, and thank you. I didn't realize those were official.

So, really, it's a big complicated mess...

Think about what worlds grabbed you, and what about them grabbed you, and I think you can safely go from there. As long as you remember that Decade is AU
Yeah, no worries, I knew from the get go that I shouldn't expect the worlds or characters to be in past series.

Not that I expect this to be of any interest, but if anyone's especially bored...
At the moment, I'm not overly interested in watching the Shōwa series. I don't want to go through the Heisei series in order of my perceived appeal because if I'm right, I'll enjoy each series less and less. There's logic in starting with Kuuga and working chronologically, but I wasn't the biggest fan of Kuuga's world (although I didn't particularly enjoy Decade at that point, either) and I would imagine that the show felt a little different with that many years in between. I fear alienating myself by taking that big of a jump. I would just take one step back to Kiva, but I would rather be able to watch the Den-O crossover movie at the appropriate time and after watching Den-O.

I'm going to finish W* and then OOO. I kind of want to start another series before I finish W so I can ration it out, but I'll soon have less time to watch Kamen Rider at all. I think I'll either go with Den-O, which is recent and the series I'm most familiar with but can't figure out what to make of it, or Kabuto.

*Does anyone have a DDL source for TV-N W 28 other than what's on their site? That episode (and only that episode) will only download at a snail's pace from BOTH of their links. I haven't managed to download it all after a few days of trying and it's next for me. Filestube has an enterupload link that's broken.
 
The rest was done in Inoue's poor writing.

What? Where did you guys even get this?

Why is it everbody blame Toshiki Inoue for the bad writing in Decade? Seriously, the only arcs Inoue wrote were the crappy Nega and Diend World arcs. The first half was mostly written by Sho Aikawa and the most of the second half was written by Shoji Yonemura.

This.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

One question that I forgot to ask... Is there any particular reason that Agito looks like a form of Kuuga?

They were continuing the Kuuga style.




I didn't start with Decade, it was just the first series I finished. Admittedly, I'm saying this without having seen the prior series, but I think watching Decade before the others is the way to go. As far as worlds and characters being different, part of me wants to say "get over it." However, I was raised on Power Rangers. If Gokaiger is adapted and some random guy shows up and tries to pass himself off as, say, Tommy's green MMPR ranger, I wouldn't be too thrilled.

Having only seen most Riders and their worlds for two episodes, I won't be terribly bothered if they're different when I watch the series they represent. In theory, Decade would work the other way around, as a series for Kamen Rider fanboys. In practice, it's done as I'd hope and given me a taste and desire to watch the other series.

That's some convoluted way of thinking. It makes no sense.




:eyebrow: Are you for real?


I'm not sure if you're unaware that I've seen W, despite saying that I'd seen 22 episodes in my first sentence (24, now) OR if you're just telling me how to watch it. Thank you for your recommendations, but your advice was a bit heavy-handed.

No, it wasn't. No one who has watched anything before Decade says "watch Decade because it introduces all the characters as they are." Why is obvious, but you need to stop rejecting it in order to understand. Do not take any of the Decade versions as anything like the real ones. Double is a recommendation because it reflects the ideas behind the original Rider but it does it in a modern way, with a new story that is good by itself.
 
Say what now? That gives me more appreciation for Ryuki, although I do have to wonder why they would use dragons back to back.


Ah, sorry, and thank you. I didn't realize those were official.

So, really, it's a big complicated mess...


Yeah, no worries, I knew from the get go that I shouldn't expect the worlds or characters to be in past series.

Not that I expect this to be of any interest, but if anyone's especially bored...
At the moment, I'm not overly interested in watching the Shōwa series. I don't want to go through the Heisei series in order of my perceived appeal because if I'm right, I'll enjoy each series less and less. There's logic in starting with Kuuga and working chronologically, but I wasn't the biggest fan of Kuuga's world (although I didn't particularly enjoy Decade at that point, either) and I would imagine that the show felt a little different with that many years in between. I fear alienating myself by taking that big of a jump. I would just take one step back to Kiva, but I would rather be able to watch the Den-O crossover movie at the appropriate time and after watching Den-O.

I'm going to finish W* and then OOO. I kind of want to start another series before I finish W so I can ration it out, but I'll soon have less time to watch Kamen Rider at all. I think I'll either go with Den-O, which is recent and the series I'm most familiar with but can't figure out what to make of it, or Kabuto.

*Does anyone have a DDL source for TV-N W 28 other than what's on their site? That episode (and only that episode) will only download at a snail's pace from BOTH of their links. I haven't managed to download it all after a few days of trying and it's next for me. Filestube has an enterupload link that's broken.

Dragons isn't the only thing you'll see recycled frequently. By the end of your Heisei antics, you'll be as refreshed as the rest of us to see Double using Gaia Memories and OOOs using Medals...instead of "&%#@ CARDS AGAIN!"

heh, actually I don't think any of us have THAT much rage over the issue, but I think you get the idea. As for liking it less and less....*shrugs* you really don't have to watch EVERYTHING. Personally I haven't watched the Showa era stuff outside of some of the movies, and honestly? I'm okay with that.

Being around the fandom in a place like this, you pick up enough tidbits to get by. You learn who Shadow Moon is and why he's awesome, you learn all three of RX's forms, you learn why you never confuse Black with RX, even though they're the same character (you already learned that from Decade no doubt.). All that good stuff. There's no shortage of fans of the Showa series, and they're always willing to share their knowledge. If I can pick their brains about something that comes up, why should I watch the old stuff if I honestly have no interest in it at this point?

Just watch what you feel like watching and I think you'll avoid any burnout. If you wanna start with Ryuki, since that sounds like something you may have already been interested in, go ahead. Only complaint I have of it is that I just gotta wonder: Do Ren and Shinji ever get really, really tired of running away from explosions?
 
That's some convoluted way of thinking. It makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense. Watching Decade before the previous series affords me the opportunity to not be so pissy when it shows previous Rider worlds differently.

:eyebrow: Are you for real?
Yes. I don't know if you're telling me to forget about Decade because it used alternate worlds or because you don't like it.

No one who has watched anything before Decade says "watch Decade because it introduces all the characters as they are." Why is obvious, but you need to stop rejecting it in order to understand. Do not take any of the Decade versions as anything like the real ones.
Why on earth would you think that I'm thinking that way?

By the end of your Heisei antics, you'll be as refreshed as the rest of us to see Double using Gaia Memories and OOOs using Medals...instead of "&%#@ CARDS AGAIN!"

heh, actually I don't think any of us have THAT much rage over the issue, but I think you get the idea.
Yeah, I get it. As a Survivor fan, I'm all about seeing the same thing done differently. I hope the trend continues.

you really don't have to watch EVERYTHING. Personally I haven't watched the Showa era stuff outside of some of the movies
I'm thinking and hoping that I'll enjoy all the Heisei series, so I'll slowly but surely make my way through them. It will take me some time to get through them, so who knows how I'll feel after that. Thanks for the tips.
 
Survivor, just ignore darkster. No matter what you say he will push push push. Just look at how he treats anyone that doesn't suck Doubles dick.
 
So, I've been watching Den-O, and I need a little help. The movie premiered between episodes 26 and 27 but I've seen at least one person say that the movie is set between episodes 27 and 28. Story-wise, it's seems that the order may be relevant and difficult to immediately determine. I've seen the first 26 episodes. What's next, episode 27 or the movie? While I'm at it, same question for Kiva. Thanks in advance!
 
So, I've been watching Den-O, and I need a little help. The movie premiered between episodes 26 and 27 but I've seen at least one person say that the movie is set between episodes 27 and 28. Story-wise, it's seems that the order may be relevant and difficult to immediately determine. I've seen the first 26 episodes. What's next, episode 27 or the movie? While I'm at it, same question for Kiva. Thanks in advance!

Logically the movie should take place just before climax form debut ep, but honestly in the end it doesn't really matter. Just watch it sometime around there and you're already doing better than most of us that watched it in real time. Most western fans following DenO during its run couldn't watch Ore Tanjou until DenO almost ended.

As for Kiva, I also don't think it makes that much of a difference.... It's not like the characters changed in a significant way after the movie.

Also, other than DCD Hibiki, I find the original TV series version superior to the ones represented in Decade. (Hibiki is still a great series, but watching DCD Hibiki was very, very satisfying after they disappoint you with the TV ending). Heck I'd say DCD Hibiki is two of the greatest episodes in Heisei.... I don't like DCD that much as a whole but it did allow for those two episodes.
 
Last edited:

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top