二番目の翻訳者
I found the beginning of it off-putting (I don't think the scene with Lois in the FoS worked on any level) but it settled into a cool groove once they started doing stuff with Lex. The scene with Parasite was epic, and I love it when Superman media is willing to play with the secret identity stuff.

In general it felt very "Silver Age in the modern age" to me, which I'm pretty sure is what they were going for. Taking the episodic storytelling style of those old comics and making it something a bit more "mature" -- not in the typical "grim 'n' gritty" sense (bleh) but in giving it the characters' actions consequences and giving the story an ending. I liked that Superman's final victory over Lex wasn't punching him, but reforming him.

has left HJU. Not coming back.
That movie was fucking incredibly boring!

Definitely not worth to buy.

I really had no issues with the pacing. I just saw it as superman living out his days doing what he does best. Being Super. I'm sure a movie having an epsodic feel can be jarring for some but eh I can't relate to that at all.
They left out a few things but I doubt it would have made the movie any better.

is now a pony, it seems.
Definitely not worth to buy.

The book, however is :D

EDIT: So I wrote a **** review of the movie for the school paper. I don't know if it's gonna get published, but here it is:
[HIDE]Any one who knows me, knows I love animation with a deep passion; as animation is one of several mediums limited only by one's mind. To create a piece of quality animation, one just truly needs a little imagination.
Scottish comics writer, Grant Morrison is no stranger to imagination. Morrison has been creation some of the most original and critically acclaimed stories for Marvel and DC Comics including: Final Crisis, New X-Men, Batman R.I.P., Marvel Boy and All Star Superman.
The movie, like the comic, tells the story of the final days of Earth's greatest hero after saving the world's first man made mission to the sun after being sabotaged by Superman's most famous enemy, Lex Luthor. The rest of the film follows Superman revealing his true identity to Lois Lane, giving her powers like his for twenty-four hours, saving her from a creature known as the Ultra-Sphinx and battling other survivors from Krypton. The film's final act is highlighted with a large scale battle between Superman, a super powered Luthor and a living sun named Solaris.
The original comic was very episodic, with each issue telling a single story that would still contribute something to the main plot. This hurts the films pacing, as it tries to fully link different issues of the comics, trying to create one solid story instead of little ones that gradually build up. However, at certain points, we see the return of that episodic nature and it makes the film seem a little disjointed. With a length of just 75 minutes, a lot of what made the original comic great is gone. No longer is Jimmy Olsen turning into a stem cell created bio-engineered monster called Doomsday. Gone is Superman traveling to the past with his decedents to see his Pa one more time before both their untimely deaths while his decedents and past self fight a being from the 5th Dimension. All that remains is Superman visiting his father's grave and small conversation with his mother. It would have been more powerful to extend the scene and flashback to Clark at his father's funeral and delivering a touching eulogy rather than Superman wimping out on telling his mother the truth about his upcoming death. There was also another emotional scene where Superman talked a young girl from committing suicide. This is one of the most emotional scenes in comics. It actually helped a man get over trying to commit suicide himself. It seems all the emotion in the film has to come from Lois until the end of the film, where Clark's identity as Superman is revealed to every one at the Daily Planet.
Despite some so-so voice acting and my boiling nerd rage, All Star Superman is something I would recommend to every one. However, even for non comic book fans, I would say check out the original comics as well. The film is okay, but it is not the great and timeless classic that this great American icon deserves. [/HIDE]

Last edited:
Super Moderator
I think my personal tastes tend to lean more Bronze-Age to Post Crisis (or Crisis-to-Crisis era as I tend to think of it thanks to a great podcast over at Superman Homepage.) So I guess I was always kinda on board with All Star but maybe deep down wishing Jose Garcia Lopez was drawing it and it was just ever so slightly less goofy. Maybe just a little to the left of goofy but still fun.

But really All Star at least felt like an actual sincere attempt at recapturing some Silver Age magic in a modern fashion, as opposed to DC trotting out Silver Age characters and ideas for what seems to be no other reason than the opportunity for the creators to darkfic the hell out of their own childhoods.

Like many folks I was not a fan of the artwork but I will say that there are things about All-Star that I really do enjoy as a Superman fan. The movie I think does benefit from a tighter narrative, it seems a bit more focused but I find it odd that they still left in the stuff with Samson and also the thing with the Kryptonian couple after having cut Bizzaro and some other things.

I do like the redemption angle with Luthor, I think that by itself may be one of the smartest ideas this story puts forth and gives Superman a far greater victory over Lex than destroying him ever would.

My gut feeling with All Star is that it feels like the comic is the first draft, the movie is the second and somewhere there is a third that really brings the whole thing together.

The main thing that I felt didn't work in regards to the movie were the voice performances. With the exception of Lex and Jimmy, everyone came off extremely flat to me and the almost total absence of a soundtrack didn't really help much either. I think these things had a way of making it seem boring even when stuff was happening or relevant dialog was spoken.

All that said though I feel that it's one of the stronger entries in the DC-DTV line, but as I often do with these I feel like they could have just done a little bit better.

Okay this really isn't about All-Star Superman (either version), since to be honest Superman comics never interested much and Morrison does nothing for me. I am just wondering what does everyone actually mean when they invoke the Silver Age? It happens so often but with no one ever really explaining what they mean. Half the time people are seemingly referring to either using characters from that era or having stories that are goofy and zany. To be honest I don't get those as the defining features of the Silver Age.

For my money the Silver Age was more about experimentation and frankly just seeing what concepts would sell. The title that started the Silver Age was Showcase. Truth be told what the people at Image, Malibu, Milestone, Valiant and the other upstarts were doing in the early 90's seems more like the Silver Age than anything that is trying to directly invoke the Silver Age. Expect may be for projects like Astro City and ABC, which to be honest I haven't read much of either.