Lurker
I just saw on the news that Tokyo would host the Olympics in 2020. Experience has told me that the hosting country makes a big show and take a huge honor in it.

Who's forseeing the Olympics having some part in the theme of either Super Sentai or Kamen Rider in the likely event they're still running. I personally see it in some little bit, although i can almost see something a little like Battle Fever J. Heck, I'll even bet Tsuburaya will give us an Ultraman for the event. I mean, it'll be 6 years before they premiere, so there's time to plan them (I'll bet anything Decade, Gokaiger, and the Ultra Brothers movie took longer than their contemporaries to plan).

I'm aware that there will likely be pre-emptations and Sentai does have to take Power Rangers into account. I still think something special will come.

Who else thinks the Toku will get a little extra come the 2020?

Professional Chef and Entertainer
i don't see toei taking advantage of the olympics by making an olympic tokusatsu, but i do see toei, toho, or tsuburaya co-designing a tokusatsu themed mascot for the olympic games. it seems fitting with a mascot representing such a big part of japanese culture and entertainment like the tokusatsu genre the same way as anime and manga are big parts of the entertainment culture of japan. either if it's a giant friendly kaiju, a giant ultraman like character, or a super sentai like team, they have a big opportunity here.

Lurker
It already affected Saint Seiya Omega... This week's episode got pushed because of it :redface2:

Aronbafon
That's because of timezones. You need a somewhat neutral timezone for all over the world. And that requires afternoon America, late evening Europe and wee morning hours Asia.

Hm, sports themed Sentai and Rider. Use them in the opening ceremony. :hmm:

Meh I doubt they'd use toku characters in the opening ceremony. Superheroes aren't in general as common in Japanese pop culture as they are in American. I'd expect they would be more likely to commission Studio Ghibli to create a trio of quirky mythical creatures.

Now whether we get sports themed shows, well, we'll have to see. If the channel Super Hero Time airs on won the rights to show the games in Japan, then I could totally see them using that to build up some enthusiasm (though probably not using any specific logos or anything unless Toei also became a sponsor).

i don't see toei taking advantage of the olympics by making an olympic tokusatsu

Jiraiya would like a word with you ;)

No one says an olympic toku needs to be sports themed. Jiraiya was about warriors from diffrent countries.
I could easily picture a Rider having diffrent forms based on foreign legends or people.

D

Dr Kain

Hope not, I am tired of hearing about sports. I get enough of that every time football season starts (and am already tired of hearing about the Broncos beating the Ravens).

Heroes are forever
Meh I doubt they'd use toku characters in the opening ceremony. Superheroes aren't in general as common in Japanese pop culture as they are in American. I'd expect they would be more likely to commission Studio Ghibli to create a trio of quirky mythical creatures.
They're a HUGE part of pop culture. I'm not exactly expecting them to be there, but if there's anything... well, I'm wondering, did we have Doctor Who at all last year? I really don't know cause I didn't see the ceremonies.

Rider/Sentai/Ultra have in Japan the status Doctor Who has in England.

I don't foresee anything sports-themed, but it's HIGHLY LIKELY that the Sentai team members will all be extraordinary athletes (a judoka, a swimmer, a runner, etc.).

did we have Doctor Who at all last year? I really don't know cause I didn't see the ceremonies.

From what I heard, there was supposed to be a montage featuring all 11 Doctors but it got cut for time. Instead, only the sound of the TARDIS was heard. For what it's worth, I watched the opening ceremony and didn't hear the TARDIS sound. I only heard it later on YouTube.

Last edited: