The Most HYPE Moments From Awesome Games Done Quick 2026

PopGeeks

Administrator
Awesome Games Done Quick 2026 ended a week ago and ended up raising over $2.5 million for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. When you’re trying to fight one of the world’s deadest diseases, why not have a little fun doing it? One solid week of speedrunning goodness was broadcast over the first full week of January on Twitch and the GDQ YouTube channel. Since watching the entire thing would literally take seven days (more if you plan on sleeping), we’ve pared the list down to our personal favorite runs… Let’s do something unusual this time and begin our list with the very last run. It’s Adef, visible presence behind the scenes and in all the interstitial material, attempting a run of his own. Trying to complete Pokemon Emerald in a little over two hours is hard on its own, but imagine trying to do it with just one Pokemon, and it’s a Pokemon that keeps getting changed by the audience by popular vote. Naturally, Adef is forced to begin the game with a Magikarp. He then has to plow through eight Gym Leaders and the gang of Elites using, at various times, Shuckle, Ditto or (when the audience was feeling nice) […]
Read original article here:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Magikarp starting out? I mean, the stress that must have caused Adef is insane. I don’t think I could handle the audience changing my Pokemon mid-battle. It’s impressive how he adapted every single time, especially when he got stuck with Shuckle or Ditto. Watching someone push through eight gyms and the Elite Four with the worst Pokemon imaginable was both hilarious and kind of inspiring. I also loved how it was all for charity. It makes it feel less like torture and more like dedication. The energy from the audience must have been electric. Even though it sounds like a mess on paper, seeing it all actually happen made me respect speedrunners even more. The mix of skill, patience, and humor was something I don’t think you can get anywhere else. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what tricks they pull next year.
 
The 70-player Mario 64 relay was my favorite part by far. It felt like chaos but in a really controlled way. Each player coming in for a few minutes, hitting their segment perfectly, and then passing the baton—it was kind of magical. You could see everyone’s style shine while still working toward the same goal. It’s not just about individual skill, but coordination and timing, which makes it fascinating to watch. I loved seeing different tricks and glitches get pulled off back-to-back. Even though I usually play games casually, watching something like that makes me appreciate how much dedication goes into speedrunning. Plus, it gave me a sense of community, seeing so many people come together for charity. Honestly, it felt like more than just a speedrun—it was like a celebration of gaming itself.
 
I have to admit, I did not expect to laugh at a Donkey Kong 64 run. The self-own moment toward the end completely caught me off guard. Watching someone hit a wall after doing so well and just watching it unfold was pure comedy. Usually, I don’t find glitches or mistakes entertaining, but the timing and reactions made it perfect. It also reminded me that even at these events, the players are human and things don’t always go as planned. It made the whole thing feel more relatable. That mix of serious skill and unexpected failure is part of what makes GDQ fun for me. I can spend hours watching runs like this and still want more because you never know what is going to happen next.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top