Nice post!!
... What? The government doesn't physically fight people, lol

Governments can physically fight people through organized military force and police forces (if a particular government has one). If they couldn't exert physical force, no one would take a government's edicts seriously.

^ But that is beside my point. I am not talking about military or police force, sure they are a major part of it, but the people in charge of that. I think in order to be a good leader you need some emotional integrity for your people. This whole thing of "being as physically strong as the males is the only way she is equal" is absurd.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Governments can physically fight people through organized military force and police forces (if a particular government has one). If they couldn't exert physical force, no one would take a government's edicts seriously.

Point conceded. I stand corrected

二番目の翻訳者
Point is, everyone is getting mad here. You are, I am, Kou is, FK is. It's the internet. Deal with it. :coolshades:

I'm mad? That's a hell of an assumption. :eyebrow: No, actually, I'm not mad at all. I'm capable of discussing sexism in a rational and passionless fashion, because fighting for the equal treatment of 50% of the world's population is a bigger issue than just my own grudges or the way it affects me, personally.

I mean, I'm sorry that you've apparently had some issues with women that makes you want to order them all back into the kitchen, but that's your problem. Not mine, not lc's, not FK's.

I can understand where it's annoying when actual show threads get mired in discussions of feminism. But this is a thread about sexism. It's not cool to post stuff eye-rolling at someone for talking about the thing the thread exists for.

(Especially not if you're immediately going to revert to your own same old tired arguments that reveal way too much about your personal life.)

^ But that is beside my point. I am not talking about military or police force, sure they are a major part of it, but the people in charge of that. I think in order to be a good leader you need some emotional integrity for your people. This whole thing of "being as physically strong as the males is the only way she is equal" is absurd.

...If you're the commander of a team that's way way stronger than you, unless you're old (and thus, can no longer fight), or brilliant (thus, a better tactician), you're probably kinda worthless, and your leadership will most likely get in the way more than it will help.

I think your point is that we shouldn't be so focused on physical strength, but that's an erroneous statement to make in a series in which the main goal is to save the world and beat the bad guys.

Seing a woman act overly marcho like Akiko is the same as seeing a man act overly feminine. It is not natural. Men and women can always meet on the middle and have some traits from each other, but going to the max just seems ackward. This has absolutely nothing to do with sexism. It is just that most girls don't WANT to act like a man, and most men don't WANT to act like a girl.

Making them do so is just silly.

That's just an incorrect assumption that places far too much in the idea that men and women act a certain way because of their gender. In general, studies show that most people kinda don't conform to normal gender roles.

I have the same problem when I watch a Hollywood movie where they almost give the female lead a super-human strenght and makes her an expert in all martial arts so that she can kick a guy around.

I have seen girls fight before, and they do just fine with normal fist fighting. Why the need to make them uber-strong?

...If she's in an action movie, then why ISN'T she strong? What's the point in making her useless?

S/N: People are using macho wrong. Akiko is not "macho". ShinkenRed is *not* macho. In fact, I hesitate to call anyone in any Toku series macho. That involves qualities and situations that are simply not present in henshin heroes.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
S/N: People are using macho wrong. Akiko is not "macho". ShinkenRed is *not* macho. In fact, I hesitate to call anyone in any Toku series macho. That involves qualities and situations that are simply not present in henshin heroes.

That's interesting, why do you say that? What kind of qualities/situations would those be?

Nice post!!
This whole thing of "being as physically strong as the males is the only way she is equal" is absurd.

I agree with this? But I think your argument in favor of it is problematic. It's very hard to argue there's no real world power that doesn't stem in some way from physical force. Even money only confers power because, ultimately, it can be used to influence physical force.

That said, I think you don't need to bring up real world issues like this to talk about whether entertainment is sexist or not. We're talking about an imaginary world that runs on arbitrary rules laid down by specific persons hoping to achieve specific things.

It's more relevant to talk about why those rules are structured as they are than to veer off into a discussion of real-world politics. There's usually a substantial gap between real-world gender politics and gender politics in pop fiction, though the latter can reflect on the former sometimes.

Regardless of how the real world works, in a TV show, you self-evidently don't have to be physically strong as another character to be just as important or valuable. Well-written genre action shows typically go out of their way to include significant "normal" people to create a contrast with the heroes.

Shounen stuff will tend toward male leads for obvious marketing reasons, sure, but that basic rule of TV writing means that there's no reason why these shows can't give interesting supporting and adversarial roles to women. There's tons of examples of them throughout the genre's history, too.

Anyone noticed Sun Vulcan blatant sexism?

Seriously? It's a TV show. Do you honestly know the intent behind the writers, producers etc. that went into it? It's basically just your assumption and interpretation because of casting. Maybe it's true, maybe your assumption is correct, but I offer something else as well. Maybe it's ....wrong. Call me a dick , an asshole, whatever , but too many people on here make me laugh on how serious they get into these things. It's a damn TV show. Entertainment! Nothing more. If you take it as anything more, well... frightening :disappoin
:loltongue:

二番目の翻訳者
Seriously? It's a TV show. Do you honestly know the intent behind the writers, producers etc. that went into it? It's basically just your assumption and interpretation because of casting. Maybe it's true, maybe your assumption is correct, but I offer something else as well. Maybe it's ....wrong. Call me a dick , an asshole, whatever , but too many people on here make me laugh on how serious they get into these things. It's a damn TV show. Entertainment! Nothing more. If you take it as anything more, well... frightening :disappoin
:loltongue:

Entertainment both reflects and influences the real world. It doesn't have to be "intended" to be sexist for it to promote, reflect, or reinforce ugly behavior in the culture that produces it.

It's the same token by which a work can inspire people towards heroism and goodness in ways that the creators didn't intend.