Doctor Who - The Bells of Saint John

Disappear into light!!
I REALLY like how much it is once again about the Doctor and a companion. I can't stress enough putting aside time to make Rory look cool took away from the fun.

Wow...I never realized this, but you REALLY don't like Rory, do you, Keith?:eyebrow:

I mean, he is a companion, just like Amy and Clara. The 'making him looks cool' scene, as you call them, is just establishing him and justifying why he is the Doctor's companion, just like they did with his other companions.

Fangtaku
I just got to watch it (had to record it, was at Sakura-Con), and my VCR caught the tail end of the Snowmen, and it reminded me of how the Doctor was partially to blame for the events of Web of Fear. How do you think the Great Intelligence got the blueprints for the London Underground? It was on the box Eleven gave it in Snowmen (establishing that Snowmen came first).

The question is, is where does BoSJ fall in the Doctor/GI timeline? I'm hesitantly thinking that it goes Snowmen, the two Classic Serials, and then BoSJ.

Lurker
I'm hesitantly thinking that it goes Snowmen, the two Classic Serials, and then BoSJ.

There's also the GI's involvement in the 90s direct-to-video movie Downtime, which was sort of an unofficial Sarah Jane Adventures story pairing Sarah with The Brigadeer and Victoria, but the canocity of that is debatable.

Eenymeenyminymo
This being a Talk UP thread, you really don't need spoiler tags.

And yeah, the first thing that came to mind about "the shop girl" was that it was Rose Tyler.

I thought it was River Song!

You... don't know about the Great Intelligence?

I'm A Djinn
I thought it was River Song!

You... don't know about the Great Intelligence?

Mine was either her, Madame Vestra (in disguise), or Jenny.

We've seen Madame Vestra phone the Doctor in the Snowmen, then again so did Winston Churchill and God knows who else.

I just love Clara. She's been such a delight in every incarnation I've seen her. Granted it's just three.

And I can see why some wouldnt like the episode for reusing a lot of elements from previous Doctor Who stories (Idiot's Lantern among others). But for me, if I feel that it improved on the elements it borrowed, Im OK with it.

Clara OsWIN Oswald, you are awesome and I hope your stay in the snogging booth, I mean...the Tardis is a long one.

Wow...I never realized this, but you REALLY don't like Rory, do you, Keith?:eyebrow:

I mean, he is a companion, just like Amy and Clara. The 'making him looks cool' scene, as you call them, is just establishing him and justifying why he is the Doctor's companion, just like they did with his other companions.

I get what they were trying to do, but I really feel he drew away from the Doctor Companion relationship and wasn't fond of the actor. I would like to see The Doctor roll through the universe with a bro and see what came of that. But a couple.. it kept being about them and their relationship with each other and The Doctor would be an observer of that, when I come to see The Doctor be the hero, save the day and work on his relationship with whomever and not be a third wheel.

Now we're back to The Doctor being the hero and all is right with the world. :thumbs:

Disappear into light!!
I get what they were trying to do, but I really feel he drew away from the Doctor Companion relationship and wasn't fond of the actor. I would like to see The Doctor roll through the universe with a bro and see what came of that. But a couple.. it kept being about them and their relationship with each other and The Doctor would be an observer of that, when I come to see The Doctor be the hero, save the day and work on his relationship with whomever and not be a third wheel.

Now we're back to The Doctor being the hero and all is right with the world. :thumbs:

If you don't like the idea of a couple + the Doctor, I can see you being put off, but I liked that dynamic. Indeed, it was a very unique thing to do and was never done before. Plus, I thought it let the Doctor have a relationship with Amy that was very different from his other female companions, a kind of relationship I honestly preferred over "the companions and the Doctor falling for each other". They were going for that kind of relationship even before Amy got married.

Really though, I did like how for once, it's not about "the Doctor saving the world and getting the girl" that we got for, like, the entirety of the new series, but "the Doctor and his precious companions". I frankly want to see that more often, and I kinda hope that happens with Clara. She's too awesome to be head over heels in love with the Doctor.

There's also the GI's involvement in the 90s direct-to-video movie Downtime, which was sort of an unofficial Sarah Jane Adventures story pairing Sarah with The Brigadier and Victoria, but the canonicity of that is debatable.
It predates SJA by more than 10 years! It's basically K9 and Company without K9 (absent due to trademarks presumably, though he's in the novelisation and his VA plays another character).