For me, the few things the show has going for it are Enter, Escape (to an extent), and my favorite element, Beet and StagBuster and their personalities. Other than that, nothing really makes an impression. In fact, I was shocked that we were already up to episode 27. It's felt like nothing important has happened in the entire series. So many episodes and so few of them are memorable in any way.

D

Dr Kain

Villains are dull. Enter speaking Spanish is really annoying. And I think kids don't even know what's he's saying.

"JE NE PARLE PAS ESPANOL!!!!"
go-busters%2Benter%2BFUUUUUU.jpg

Villains are dull. Enter speaking Spanish is really annoying. And I think kids don't even know what's he's saying.
It might be popular to throw English words into toku shows, but very few people in Japan speak English. Even fewer of them are kids. So the French is basically just different sounding words to the ones they normally don't understand. I think the producers will be more concerned about the target audience having a clue what the morphin' brace is saying than Enter's little French phrases.
Lazy you don't know what you're talking about. Enter has great breast.
Enter has great breast? Enter? I...just...what?

- Military theme: I think the kids are turned-off by the characters being kept in a military base with very little fun time outside. Although they tried to remedy this perception by having them characters going to the zoo, throwing birthday parties, and even a fair, I think the perception persists.

Untrue, there has been many of these scenes you are referring to since the near beginning. Not only that, but this isnt the first "Military" sentai.

- Decline in sentai interest: I think AK has broken down the rating decline of sentai series over the years, with Shinkenger temporary breaking the trend, and I think the above factors accelerated the decline. Kids were already more interested in other programmings like Pokemon, and now a serious and militaristic sentai comes along and it ended up driving more of them to other channels.

Its most likely this. Sentai has been in a decline and this was just the most logical conclusion

Untrue, there has been many of these scenes you are referring to since the near beginning. Not only that, but this isnt the first "Military" sentai.

The last one was Ohranger though, more than a decade ago and also a ratings failure. For whatever reason, the military theme seems to be heavily disliked by the Japanese children born in the 90s and 00s.

Lurker

The last one was Ohranger though, more than a decade ago and also a ratings failure. For whatever reason, the military theme seems to be heavily disliked by the Japanese children born in the 90s and 00s.

Yeah, series like Goranger, Sun Vulcan & Changeman are military themes as well, & did better in ratings, but they happened back in the 70's & in the 80's (not sure what Battle Fever J falls under).

I guess the tastes in military themes have changed back in the 90's & 00's.

Nice post!!
Before I get into responses, I think Shougo has basically nailed it for why Go-Busters is going over poorly in Japan. Everything I've heard about Japanese fan feedback on the show indicates that they think it's "dull" and "plain". Kids are probably tuning out because it bores them.

I think the show suffers from falling between the stools: it's not funny enough to be a show where comedy is a big draw, but it's not really serious enough to be something you watch for the drama. The only people really tuning in for it in Japan now are Sentai die-hards, and I feel basically the same thing is happening over here in the West, too.

I think Go-Busters was probably intended as a "first principles" show, maybe similar to W, that rejuvenated the franchise with a back-to-basics approach. A "first principles" show really only works if the creators have something to say about the franchise, though, and it's clear by now that Takebe and Kobayashi have no big statements about Sentai to make here.

That's a funny thought, since producer Takabe is seen as the mother of all pretty boys for Toei series.

And that view is complete horseshit. The ikemen boom starts with Kuuga and Timeranger, shows Takebe didn't work on. When she did work on Rider, she was only an assistant producer until Kiva, and wouldn't have had any sort of final say over casting. All she really did with Kiva and OOO was imitate casting choices that had proven successful before.

The idea that Takebe originated pretty boy Rider casting comes from an awful puff piece that ran just before Go-Busters started, trying to make it seem like she was somehow responsible for Heisei Rider's success. So therefore, you should watch Go-Busters to see what she'd do with Sentai!! Except Go-Busters pretty much proves that Takebe can't innovate to save her life.

I really, really doubt she was going after "not so pretty people" this time.

Given how old Ryuuji is? I seriously doubt it. Go-Busters just doesn't have an ikemen cast at all. I think Escape was added almost purely to get some sex appeal into the cast, though I think that move backfired.

I would say they were casting for acting or performing ability, except... the Go-Busters cast really isn't all that good? Or maybe they just don't have much to work with, I dunno.

This 'retooling' theory seems to have come from people presuming a new opening means the whole shows going to change.

Actually, it really got started when we found out we were getting a new opening, and then like a day later found out that the title of episode 30 was "Messiah, shutdown!!" It's also looking like Escape is getting written out, since they didn't bother to put her in the OP (nor did they bother to put in Messiah's new monster form).

Right now, all available information indicates that Messiah is simply not in the show anymore past episode 30, although apparently Metaroids still are. It seems like Messiah and Escape are getting written out and probably replaced with Enter serving as main villain in some form. That really, really, really doesn't seem like a plotline the show would've planned all along to me.

(Especially not for Escape, whose addition to the show was hyped up pretty heavily, for a villain.)

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Given how old Ryuuji is? I seriously doubt it. Go-Busters just doesn't have an ikemen cast at all. I think Escape was added almost purely to get some sex appeal into the cast, though I think that move backfired.

I'm interested to hear your view on this: Why do you think they picked him at his age? A casting directive that leaked before the Go-Busters name was confirmed asked for guys no older than 25. GoseiPink's actress stated at one point that she almost wasn't seen for the role because she was considered too old at 23, and reportedly Ryouma Baba has also said he was worried about his age during the casting - anyone got a source for that?