Status
Not open for further replies.
"あぁあぁっーー…!いぃやあ…あ"
I only have one thing to say and that is subs are subs so just let it be like that and close this thread Keith

The way I see this thread is like how I see kids arguing over cats and dogs. Frankly, it doesn't matter which one you like because in the end your preference still won't change. This thread went ape5h!t when it got personal.

These aren't the droids you're looking for... move along.

Last edited:
二番目の翻訳者
Huh? When did it go apeshit and get personal?

Lynxara said:
You can't have been paying much attention in those Japanese classes of yours, or maybe they are only high school level? The double letters you complain about are the only accepted method of replacing a macron in the Hepburn system. u + macron becomes uu and o + macron becomes ou.

And if you're "sticking to" Kunrei romanization without the macrons, I'd better see nothing but talk about Sinkenger and Syotaro and Zyuzo.

I tend to drop the u after ou compounds in names just because it seems to lead to mispronunciations by people who don't know Japanese romanization systems; they assume ou is a long-u sound. I've met too many people who know my online nick and refer to me as "Koo Adoo" when we meet IRL. :sweat:

On the other hand it kind of messes with my head a little when you drop the elongation off a word that's a minimal pair of another word based on vowel length. It's pretty easy to assume that "taro" is just a shortening of "tarou," but "Yuuki" and "Yuki" have completely different meanings and connotations.

So seeing as the double-u presents no such problems, I don't think there's anything wrong with leaving it in. The romanization systems we use as fans are basically context-based kitbashes anyway.

Last edited:
I obviously am not fluent in Japanese, nor will I ever understand the intricacies and subtleties of the language, but frankly that doesn't really matter to me a great deal. I just applaud the fact that there are people out there who do take the time to learn the language in all its complexities and do their very best to apply that knowledge when it comes to fansubbing.

the truth of the matter is, there is a great deal of Japanese programs in existence that many of us want to watch in their entirety, and be able to understand just what the hell is going on. granted there are many who don't mind not having any subtitles, but at the same token it is still good to know what people are saying inbetween fight scenes to better understand the story being presented. the fact that there aren't more DVD companies trying to put the time, money and effort into bringing these programs stateside is a real shame. BCI Eclipse seemed like it was making great progress in that direction by releaseing Iron King and Super Robot Red Baron and even planned to release Silver Mask... until that company folded.

The fact that there are people who have taken it upon themselves to bring these shows to the people through the internet, and present them with fully legible and understandable English subtitles is a miracle in and of itself. I for one am grateful to those individuals that have taken great pains to undertake a very time consuming task.

If this were a perfect world, many of the shows we love so much would be readily available in Region 1 DVDs officially, and there would be no need for fansub groups. but, that's as maybe. as it is, there are people who have a great love for tokusatsu, and are doing what the DVD companies aren't doing... bringing the shows many of us love from the past and the present fully subtitled for us to own in our very own private collections.

Since we're on the subject of romanization, where did TV-Nihon get jyuuken from?
Shouldn't it be either (resp. juu) or zyû (resp. zyuu)?

Nice post!!
It's the way it's written in katakana, probably. Ju (or juu) in a Hepburn system is written by combining the ji character with a yu diacritic to form a digraph. Someone who's used to translating fairly literally is probably used to writing out the yu diacritics, with the character ahead of it indicating which letter goes before the yu. So ジュ can become jyu due to basically not thinking about it too hard. The ju spelling is conventional mostly to keep foreigners from over-enunciating the y sound.

Using zyu for the names of things in Zyuranger is both a Kunrei holdover and the result of the show itself putting Zs prominently on everything (afaik). J and Z sounds in Japanese come from modifying the same row of characters, so in Japanese they're related to the point of being indistinguishable. So, whether you write jyu/juu or zyu in English isn't actually a big deal. Ideally, you'd just pick one and use it consistently, though I think most Zyuranger subs end up mixing and matching a bit based on how things are written.

二番目の翻訳者
It's not part of any actual romanization system I know, but I've seen the Jyu romanization from a lot of Japanese sources. "Jyuken" is probably the romanization Toei is/was using on their site.

What is the reason of those non translations btw?

It would be interesting to have the point of view of the subbers, sometimes not translating something is a form of translation.

I dont think this is laziness because just adding the sentence for the name of attacks for example, is not the hardest part to do(once an attack is translated, its ok for the whole show), so why?

Status
Not open for further replies.