Block breaking games were some of the earliest video games to ever exist, but they remain some of the most addictive. The pinnacle is still considered to be Arkanoid, introduced in the late 80s, which added multi-hit blocks, monsters that interfered with your ball’s trajectory, and power-ups that fell from the ceiling and gave you a variety of abilities when caught.
No one’s improved on Arkanoid, but Shezo Games is going to give it a try….with Darkanoid, a horizontal block-breaker that adds some more twists. The game can be played two ways….Classic Mode, which has a set 40 levels, bonus stages and four bosses to defeat…or Survival Mode, an endless wave of blocks and bots that will eventually do you in (depending on your skills). Darkanoid contains three difficulty levels and eleven power-ups to catch, including teleports and flying blocks.
- 2 game modes
- 40 levels in Classic mode
- Adaptive wave system in Survival mode
- 3 levels of difficulty in Classic mode
- 11 different power-ups available – hit them and they’ll activate immediately
- Teleports and Drones to increase the challenge
- BONUS levels available in Classic mode
- Platform shield with one-click activation
- Default fire gun, plus three big weapons to unlock
- Unique resource – Darkens
- 13 skins, each with its own upgrade
- Steam achievements
Darkanoid is available now on Steam for an affordable $2.99. A mobile version is in development and should be out this May; further refinements to the game like a PvP mode and in-game cards will be added in the fall.