“The Two Sisters” is a Korean drama series, released in 2024 and 100+ episodes are scheduled. The first episode aired on January 22, 2024. It can be categorized as Romance and Revenge Drama and is airing on KBS and streaming on Viki. This K-drama’s alternate title is “In Cold Blood”.
♦ Happy Reunion! Uuhh … or NOT!
“The Two Sisters” is a story about two sisters who were close but got separated because their parents divorced. Lee Hye-Won went to live with the father and Lee Hye-Ji lived with the mother. But that was not the initial arrangement. It was supposed to be the other way around. However, Lee Hye-Won whispered something in her sister’s ear, so her sister switched and decided to go with the mother.
- People say divorce hurts the children more than the parents. That is true for these two sisters. The hurt and pain lingers for a long time even though they struggle to make a happy life for themselves.
The mother married again but their financial situation did not get better. Lee Hye-Ji grew up poor and was abused by her stepfather. She left home and changed her name to Bae Do Eun so she could make a life of her own.
Even though Lee Hye-Won went with her father, she did not exactly have a wonderful life. The father also remarried and her stepmother made her life difficult. Although they were not related by blood, she did take care of her stepbrother because he was not well.
- Lee Hye-Ji now living as Bae Do Eun has an affair with Yoon Yi-Cheol, the owner of JY Group, and the father of Yoon Ji-Chang, the man her sister Lee Hye-Won plans to marry.
- Lee Hye-Ji intends to marry Yoon Yi-Cheol after he divorces his lawful wife. The grandmother, the matriarch who controls both her son and grandson accepts but does not approve of either union. Lee Hye-Ji finds out as much information as she can about her future daughter-in-law (who is her sister) and contrives a way of meeting her so she can insert herself into the lives of the young couple.
Then comes the twist of fate. After twenty (20) years, the two sisters meet again.
- Lee Hye-Won is about to marry and live happily ever after, but she is also searching for her sister and probably imagining a happy reunion.
- Lee Hye-Ji harbors resentment toward her sister and is not looking for her at all. She was making her own “happily ever after” life. But she accidentally learns her sister’s identity and seizes the opportunity to return the pain her sister caused her when they were young.
Lee Hye-Ji is the first one to realize that her future daughter-in-law is her sister. But she does not reveal herself and reconcile. Why? Because she feels that it was her sister who stole her happiness and now she has reappeared in her life. Will she steal everything her dreams and desires for a good life again?
Lee Hye-Won sold one of her paintings at an auction and Lee Hye-Ji was the buyer. In doing some research on the buyer, she learns that Bae Do Eun is the homewrecker who has caused her future father-in-law’s divorce. She does not yet know that this woman whom she despises because she believes she has no morals or values is the sister she is searching for. Lee Hye-Won and Yoon Ji-Chang have chosen to side with his mother and support her, which means she will be going up against her sister, the woman she knows as Bae Do Eun.
Little does she know Lee Hye-Ji is more than prepared to do battle. Her sister robbed her once. She won’t take everything from her again!
This reunion is going to get UGLY!! Oh! Their biological parents, the mother and father, are both still living. The father’s second wife died, but the mother is still married to an abusive deadbeat. No doubt they will add another layer to an already intensely dark drama plot.
- Lee Hye-Won (played by Lee So-Yeon)
- Lee Hye-Ji /Bae Do Eun (played by Ha Yeon-Joo)
- Yoon Ji-Chang (played by Jang Se-hyun)
- Yoon Yi-Cheol (played by Jung Chan)
Viewership and Rating:
My personal rating is the same as the Viki viewers. “The Two Sisters” was typical soap opera material! The only thing missing was the organ music in the background. It was life loaded with a bunch of unnecessary drama. The moments in life that should create the most wonderful memories are ruined. There is anger, resentment, revenge, bad feelings, wicked schemes, evil plans, etc., with everybody defending themselves by saying whatever they do is justified because the other person had it coming.
This Korean drama series is airing on KBS (Korean Broadcasting System) and the last episode is scheduled for June 2024. There are only 8 episodes available on Viki as of the date of this article. But it’s more than enough to digest and get that “bitter taste”.
Also, if you are really into soap operas, there is a similar Korean drama series streaming on Viki titled “Two Mothers”, released in 2014 with 102 episodes. If you love soap operas, dive in!
(NOTE: IMDb and My Drama List have not published ratings as of the date of this article.)
LINKS OF INTEREST:
- The Two Sisters K-Drama Episode 1 Recap & Spoilers: Did Lee So-Yeon & Ha Yeon-Joo Finally Reunite? | ComingSoon.net
- Intense Family Drama: ‘The Two Sisters’ – Lee So Yeon, Ha Yeon Joo, Yang Hye Jin | Times of India
- Lee So Yeon, Ha Yeon Joo, And Yang Hye Jin Are Entangled In A Dangerous Web Of Revenge In “The Two Sisters” | Soompi
KOCOWA TV. “[STREAMING NOW] I Won’t Forgive You Just Because You’re Family | the Two Sisters | KOCOWA+.” YouTube Video. YouTube, January 22, 2024. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac-o6wE8Kzw.