Did you purchase Sonic Origins when it came out last year? If the answer is “no,” you’re in luck — Sega just announced an upgraded version, Sonic Origins Plus, that contains more content. It’s one of those moments that’s aggravating for one consumer but a blessing for another.
Sonic Origins Plus will contain what the original Origins did: all four of Sonic’s mainline Genesis titles (and Sonic CD) remade in widescreen. Plus adds twelve Sonic Game Gear titles, the ability to play as Knuckles in Sonic CD, and the ability to play as Amy in all the games. Also, thankfully, all the DLC content will be included in the purchase price, which is something that got the original Sonic Origins in trouble (a lot of features that are considered standard for other games were paywalled here).
Now if you DO have Sonic Origins, Sega hasn’t completely forgotten you: you can upgrade your game to Plus for $9.99. Buying Plus entirely will cost $39.99. The package will launch on Sonic’s birthday, June 23, which is also precisely one year removed from the launch of vanilla Sonic Origins.
But that’s not the only bit of hedgehog news today: Sonic will also be stopping by the digs of a company friend, the party monkey from the Samba De Amigo series. That series’ next game, Samba De Amigo: Party Central, will be released this summer and contain a few guest appearances from the Blue Blur. There will be a stage based on the City Escape sequence from Sonic Adventure 2 as well as the accompanying “Escape From The City” song, and “Fist Bump” from the new game Sonic Forces. You won’t have to pay extra to see him either; what we’re talking about is part of the base game.
- Get up and shake it center stage in this vibrant and colorful rhythm action game with smooth Joy-Con controls that make the game fun for everyone.
- Groove to 40 hit songs from the world’s most popular genres, with more arriving as post-launch DLC!
- Test your technique in a variety of minigames and challenges.
- Strut that style by customizing your character with unique costumes and accessories.
- Hit the dance floor and play online in World Party mode.
- Show the world what you’ve got by competing on the online leaderboards.
Sonic Origins Plus will be out June 23; Samba De Amigo: Party Central will be out soon afterward.