Canadian studio Zugalu has announced Technolites, a new top-down space shooter, is now under production and they’re seeing crowdfunding cash. The game concerns a group of astronauts on a mission to Jupiter’s moon Europa who become sidetracked by accidentally running into a horde of alien ships — with endless firepower.
Very few people play a shmup for the story, however. Where it counts is the gameplay, and Technolites aims to innovate by giving players the option of customizing their ship.You can construct a small but vulnerable fighter if you excel at avoiding projectiles…or, if you prefer to take everything head-on, you can make a beefy powerhouse that can withstand many blows.
Branden Sloane, CEO of Zugalu, says the option was inspired in part by Raptor: Call of the Shadows, an obscure MS-DOS game he used to play on his uncle’s laptop. “It’s what made me fall in love with PC gaming. For our first PC release, I wanted to pay tribute to that game and expand upon what I enjoyed most about it: earning credits and using them to purchase upgrades for your ship – which is exactly what we’ve done with Technolites, but on an even greater scale.”
* Build your own ship from the ground up – and then equip it with your favorite weapons and upgrades.
* Enjoy fully-voiced, animated cutscenes with an awesome narrative to boot.
* Combine more than 500+ weapons.
* Unlock multiple endings.
* Soar through 7 unique worlds and 20 hand-crafted levels.
* Pick your difficulty: Start with Easy Mode for beginners – and amp up the difficulty for a true retro experience.
* Level up your characters for new effects.
* Fight alongside a friend in online co-op gameplay.
* Play on your desktop or mobile device – and take your save game with you on the go.
* Choose from multiple game modes – including Survival Mode, Hardcore, No Gun, and 3rd-person view Wormhole Racer!
The Technolites Kickstarter is asking for $24,674, and has already pulled in $8000 in just a week. You have until March 18….support the game by heading here.