We hate to be the one to break it to you, but there will NEVER EVER be any Nickelodeon characters in the Super Smash Bros series. Creator Masahiro Sakurai laid down the rule that only characters originating in the video game market can be considered as fighters. Good thing, then, that Nick is willing to create a ripoff, and they have enough of their own characters to fill a game’s roster on their own.
Presenting Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl, the ultimate showdown between thirty years of Nick intellectual property. We don’t know at this time how many characters will appear in the game, but these fourteen were revealed in the trailer:
- Michelangelo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Leonardo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Nigel Thornberry (The Wild Thornberrys)
- Powdered Toast Man (Ren & Stimpy)
- SpongeBob SquarePants (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Sandy Cheeks (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Patrick Star (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Oblina (Aaahh!!! Real Monsters)
- Lucy Loud (The Loud House)
- Lincoln Loud (The Loud House)
- Helga (Hey Arnold!)
- Reptar (Rugrats)
- Zim (Invader Zim)
- Danny Phantom (Danny Phantom)
Pretty good picks, all told. Reptar vs. Nigel alone sounds nuts. All the modes you expect from Smash Bros will be here as well, like single and multiplayer matches, local and online play. Through satisfying in-game conditions, more moves can be unlocked for each character and content can be unlocked in a gallery. There will be 20 stages in the game to battle on, taking place in locales like Spongebob’s Jellfyish Fields, the Technodrome from TMNT, a kitchen counter for Powdered Toast Man, and a vaguely Irken-looking area for Invader Zim.
Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl will be out in the fall of 2021 for Playstation 4 and 5, Nintendo Switch, and all market-supported XBoxes.