The movie World War Z came out at the peak of Zombie Mania and kinda got lost in the horde. It never set the world on fire, but many years later, it’s now going to be a game. Since the license isn’t as strong as it would have been years ago, developer Saber Interactive must prove their worth through gameplay.
If World War Z is remembered for anything, it’s how many zombies the CGI workstations managed to render onscreen. Saber is using their own rig, the Swarm Engine, to generate as many zombies as possible with today’s real-time rendering chips.
World War Z is predominantly a multiplayer experience. You can play the main four-player co-op, utiilzing six distinct classes and tons of weapons and traps in locations set around the world, from New York to Moscow. Or you can try out Players Vs. Players Vs. Zombies, sending you against the undead and other players in any of these five modes:
- Scavenge Raid: Players race to secure resources across the map to win.
- Vaccine Hunt: Players must pick up and hold an objective to earn points for the team.
- Swarm Deathmatch: Two teams go head to head in a bitter fight to the end.
- Swarm Domination: Capture zones to earn points and win a team victory.
- King of the Hill: Capture a single hill, then control it to earn victory points.
Now it’s time to see what all this looks like: presenting Saber’s new multiplayer World War Z trailer. The game is targeted for Playstation 4, XBox One and PC later this year.