SOEDESCO promised, and…it came out on time. Monster Crown, the mon-collecting and battling game from developer Studio Aurum, is now on Steam Early Access — and it’s already a success, despite not even being complete yet. SOEDESCO says the game wound up selling more copies in its first 72 hours than it did during its entire crowdfunding campaign.
“This game is truly a dream come true. I’ve been working on it for over 4 years and to see that the game is already so well received, really touches me,” says Jason Walsh, founder of Studio Aurum. Monster Crown currently stands at an 90% ‘very positive’ rating on Steam.
The game takes place on Crown Island, a community with a dark past. Long ago, the cruel Philosopher Kings ruled the island, using their dark powers to achieve dominance and torture their subjects. That lasted until the people had enough and rose as one to defeat them.
Ever since, Crown Island has been at peace, but that could change if an evil young woman has her way…she’s seeking to bring back the Kings’ dark power, and your main goal is to stop her. You do this by collecting, training and battling the monster species found around the island. The gameplay and especially the visuals will remind you a lot of Pokemon, until the characters start swearing and threatening to kill each other.
• Make pacts with monsters to receive their protection in return for shelter
• Breed and fuse over 200 base monsters to create your own new species
• Travel across Crown Island with your monster allies to uncover a dark world.
• Make a pivotal decision that will drastically change the ending and post-game.
• Play online to battle and trade, and have your new species reach across the globe.
A demo of Monster Crown was made available during the Steam Game Festival from June 16 through June 22. The Early Access version is available now at a 10% discount.