Publisher Green Man Gaming and developer Erik Rempen are about to bring you Kainga: Seeds of Civilization — a village builder and management sim with a few new twists.
Plopped into a random village, you are the Thinker — the one who makes all the decisions. All the villagers will obey you, whether your commands lead them to victory or doom. Each world is procedurally generated with unexpected dangers in each playthrough.
Unlike most city-building games of its type, Kainga is not a long-winded experience where you gradually move toward a single goal. In this game, you are presented with a different dilemma every time you turn it on and are given 30 minutes to one hour to solve it. As you learn to survive, your people will adapt and learn new skills — use the “technology tree” to decide what they learn next and where you’d like your society to be eventually.
Some of the problems will involve the existence of giant beasts that roam around the area. They’re five times the size of your village, but you must learn to live in peace with them…or maybe tame them. It’s possible to put your village onto the back of a beast and become mobile, gathering resources from around the world.
- Create A Unique Culture. Using the unique thinker skill tree, select research from a diverse branching technology tree inspired by civilizations around the world, make your mark on the world, with your choice of buildings, festivals, resource production and more!
- Adapt to Your Surroundings. Use the terrain and resources to your advantage, keep an eye on the resources you have available and carefully plan and adapt to an ever changing environment, as you battle against the elements, disasters, other villages and even the beasts that roam the lands.
- Train Units and Tame Beasts. Keep your village safe by researching technologies to equip your villagers with weapons to repeal attacks, or even use the beasts to your advantage by taming them and turning them on your rivals.
- Acquire New Knowledge for Future Runs. Every end carries the seed of a new beginning, unlock new technology, biomes and challenges to add further complexity to each run.. Earn Karma to purchase advanced structure types and rescue thinkers to play with their leadership style and unique quirks.
- Live Amongst or Upon Giant Beasts. The wildlife of these lands wander and interact with the environment, and often destroy those in their way. Can you learn to live with these animals? Or better yet, manage to tame them and build upon them.
- Build Legendary Structures. From towering stone menhirs, to great halls and more. Construct and protect massive buildings using materials sourced from around the map.
- Customize Your Playstyle. Choose a look and starting layout personalized to how you play best before diving into the procedurally generated world and putting your skills to the test.
Kainga: Seeds of Civilization will be available on Steam this fall.