What would you get if you crossed the roguelite antics of Rogue Legacy with the arcade sports insanity of NBA Jam? You don’t have to speculate, because it’s right here: Robodunk, the bizarre love child of two genres you thought could never mesh.
Robodunk is an arcade sports that can be played in either single-player or co-op (a second player can join the game at any time). You’re playing as a team of athletic toy robots who are capable of feats like a dunk so powerful it bends the pole in half. You can also do things like tackle the opposing team — wait, what sport is this? Who cares, the referee will always look the other way.
So where do the roguelite elements kick in? Well, each match has a different court layout with obstacles and traps popping up in random places. Sometimes the rules will also be different. The bots you’re playing can level up too…they’ll gain new skills and you can choose from a skill tree which abilities they adopt. There’s even a storyline: according to Jollyounch you can “piece together info on the Gods and why DUNK is the meaning of life.”
“I love games like Mario Strikers, it’s so satisfying to feel the hits in your hands. But they can get repetitive, especially if you don’t have friends over”, says Gabriele Libera, aka Jollypunch. “I want to make an arcade sports combat game that feels that good, but also has a lot of variety and progression, whether you play by yourself or with other people.”
● MASSIVE DUNKS: Charge a max power jump, leap from mid-field and press just at the right time to explode the hoop.
● POWERFUL WEAPONS: Ram the enemy or shoot them with unique weapons, from classic lasers to falling pans and shock rings.
● NEW MODS EACH ROUND: Choose temporary skills and upgrades that change the game at every round: double jumps, shocking passes, ammo multipliers and more.
● STAGE HAZARDS: Avoid or exploit stage dangers like spiky rollers, tornadoes, jump pads and meteors.
● LOCAL MULTIPLAYER for 1-4 people.
Robodunk is now in development for consoles and PC.