Why Tokusatsu is underestimated in Japan?

cobabooy

Lurker
I understand that Toku series are considered kids' shows. But it was shows like Riders and Sentai that introduced young talents who would later become huge stars like Joe Odagiri, Takeru Sato, Hiro Mizushima, Tori Matsuzaks, etc. Shouldn't Japanese public give it more credits? And why can't Toku shows be as big as Doraemon or Pokemon? Shows like Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Sentai has been around for half a century and they are pretty much part of Japan's culture, but for some reason, they are not as much appreciated as other animes. I mean seriously, aren't animes for kids too? Why is there such a huge difference?
 
Last edited:
Isn't Kamen Rider consider to be a main stream TV show in Japan? I've been told that Kamen Rider is more popular then Ultraman and Super Sentai in Japan.
 
I understand that Toku series are considered kids' shows. But it was shows like Riders and Sentai that introduced young talents who would later become huge stars like Joe Odagiri, Takeru Sato, Hiro Mizushima, Tori Matsuzaks, etc. Shouldn't Japanese public give it more credits?

The recent Rider series have more blatant and intrusive toy promotion, so it's not surprising they generally aren't as respected. It's not rare to see people related to anime or games praising the older shows though.

And why can't Toku shows be as big as Doraemon or Pokemon? Shows like Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Sentai has been around for half a century and they are pretty much part of Japan's culture, but for some reason, they are not as much appreciated as other animes. I mean seriously, aren't animes for kids too? Why is there such a huge difference?

Rider has higher ratings (or at least had until the last couple of years) than the Pokemon anime. Pokemon movies do better than Rider movies though, but I'd guess that's due to Pokemon movies being a step above the tv show in production, while Riders' aren't really. Sometimes you've got bigger action scenes or set pieces, but you still have the same cheap tv suits and such.

As far as online discussions go, keep in mind that most anime discussed online are late night shows not intended for kids. Also, regarding the overall image of the franchises, the annual reboot format might have helped Sentai and now Heisei Rider last so long, but it also makes each character much less relevant than someone like Ash/Satoshi or Doraemon, who is followed by multiple generations.
 
When producers of their post non-toku KR shows reference KR actors' KR work, I think it means KR is still relevant. I've seen Fourze referenced for Sota Fukushi and Wizard for Shunya Shiraishi. Haven't seen anything with Gaku Sano on it yet, so I wouldn't know for him.
 
As far as online discussions go, keep in mind that most anime discussed online are late night shows not intended for kids.

DBZ, Naruto, One Piece and Fairy Tale are still highly discussed online and they are for kids in Japan.
 
When producers of their post non-toku KR shows reference KR actors' KR work, I think it means KR is still relevant. I've seen Fourze referenced for Sota Fukushi and Wizard for Shunya Shiraishi. Haven't seen anything with Gaku Sano on it yet, so I wouldn't know for him.

I remember a Gaim reference for Gaku Sano in a movie (or show, I don't remember what it was).

DBZ, Naruto, One Piece and Fairy Tale are still highly discussed online and they are for kids in Japan.

I suppose that's because all of those shows have a more mature theme, which appeals to people. I know so many guys that watch those shows, but talk bad about Pokemon just because it is too "kiddy". Though there's always My Little Pony and its fandom... Though that's not an anime (as far as I'm aware of), it's quite a good example about how something that was made entirely for children has ended up being talked and having big fandoms of adult people...
 
Shows like Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Sentai has been around for half a century and they are pretty much part of Japan's culture, but for some reason, they are not as much appreciated as other animes.
Ultraman is probably the most prestigious of the big three henshin hero franchises. While there are henshin heroes that pre-date it (shout out to Ōgon Bat!) it was the series that really caught the Japanese public's interest and got other companies like Toei interested in making tokusatsu shows. Ultraman's influence on Japanese pop culture is often compared to the impact that Star Trek had in America, and I'm sure it will similarly be remembered fondly forever.

Back in the early age of cinema monsters were brought to life with stop motion animation, until rubber suits and makeup effects replaced it because they gave acceptable results for a lower cost. Eiji Tsuburaya's background was in creating minature sets for stop motion, and he said in interviews that he originally wanted to make Godzilla that way but didn't have the time or money to do so. Now in turn, CGI has now done the same thing to "suitmation". It's a non-Japanese example, but look at how the King Kong movies brought their title character to life - 1930s, stop motion. 40 years later, a man in a suit. Another 40 years later, CGI.
The golden age of the kaiju movie was in the 60s. The golden age of henshin hero TV shows was in the 70s. Superheroes in general are nowhere near as prevalent in Japanese pop culture as they are in America. Lots of articles that I've read give the impression that the Japanese see tokusatsu as an old-fashioned genre. It's no longer mainstream, but has become 'niche' just as stop motion did before it. But that doesn't mean it will completely die off. Just as people love Wallace and Gromit and discuss the work of Ray Harryhausen, there will still be people seeing new toku projects and discussing the creative talents behind them.
DBZ, Naruto, One Piece and Fairy Tale are still highly discussed online and they are for kids in Japan.
There's a lot of range in the phrase "kids show" though. Look at those kids dancing in the end credits of Kyoryuger. Most of them were kindergartners and yet Toei will have chosen them because they fit their idea of a "typical" viewer. I don't think many of them will have discovered Shounen anime yet; They're more of a middle-schoolers thing aren't they?
 
Last edited:
When producers of their post non-toku KR shows reference KR actors' KR work, I think it means KR is still relevant. I've seen Fourze referenced for Sota Fukushi and Wizard for Shunya Shiraishi. Haven't seen anything with Gaku Sano on it yet, so I wouldn't know for him.

Hell Teacher Nube Live Action. I forgot what episode but Gaku Sano did talk about forbidden fruit.
 
Tokusatsu shows are considered to be made for kids. Toei and other Japanese company should think about doing more Akibarangers type shows for teenagers and the grown up who still like tokusatsu. :thumbs:
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top