Warner Bros Wants To Make A Gollum Movie

Peter Paltridge

Well-Known Member
Staff member
There was once a time when JRR Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings trilogy was considered to be “unfilmable.” The people who claimed that would find our modern age interesting, where Lord of the Rings related productions are the only things that DO get made. If The Rings Of Power and the upcoming animated LOTR movie War of the Rohirrim aren’t enough for you, WB has announced they’re giving Gollum his own feature. It’ll be called The Hunt for Gollum and Andy Serkis has been locked down to once again mo-cap the bug-eyed lisping creature. The targeted release date is 2026. As we’ve mentioned before, the Hollywood rights to Tolkien’s stories are a tangled mess, with different outfits owning different pieces. Whatever a Hunt For Gollum would be about, it’s most likely derived from a short passage in one of the books that describes a period of time where Gollum was captured by Shelob, then by Sauron, then by Aragorn and Gandalf, most of whom wanted information out of him about
 
As a fan of JRR Tolkien's rich universe, any addition to the lore excites me. Given Gollum's enigmatic and multifaceted nature, researching into his history is intriguing. I'm very delighted to learn that Andy Serkis will reprise his role as Gollum via motion capture; his portrayal of Gollum was absolutely memorable. While the narrative may require some embellishment owing to the restricted source material, I am confident in the creative team's ability to create an engaging story. Let us hope The Hunt for Gollum offers a new viewpoint on Middle-earth while remaining true to its roots.
 
While I can't deny the allure of revisiting Middle-earth, I can't help but feel a bit apprehensive about this Gollum movie. Don't get me wrong, Andy Serkis is phenomenal in the role, but is there really enough substance in Gollum's story to sustain an entire film? The fragmented mentions in the books don't offer much to work with, and I fear the risk of stretching thin material into a feature-length production. That being said, I'm open to being pleasantly surprised. Perhaps the filmmakers will unearth hidden depths to Gollum's character that we've yet to explore. Only time will tell, I suppose.
 
Hold on a minute. A Gollum movie based on a few sentences in the book? This sounds like a recipe for disaster. I love Andy Serkis' work with Gollum, but I'd rather see a faithful adaptation than a bunch of filler material. There are so many other stories in Middle-earth they haven't touched yet! Give us a proper Silmarillion film or delve deeper into the unexplored corners of the map. There's so much rich lore to explore without retreading old ground.
 
Another LOTR movie? Haven't we milked this franchise dry yet? I get that it's a safe bet for studios, but there's a point where it becomes overkill. Can't Hollywood come up with some fresh ideas instead of constantly relying on established properties?
 
This Gollum movie could go either way. It all depends on the script and direction. A well-crafted story with good character development could be fascinating. But if it's just a cash grab with weak writing, it'll flop. Here's hoping they put some real effort into this.
 
Can't believe they're actually making a Gollum movie. This feels desperate. Studios are running out of ideas if they have to resort to this. I'll wait for reviews before I even consider watching it.
 
Oh, cool, another "Lord of the Rings" movie! I loved the original trilogy, so I'm definitely intrigued. Andy Serkis is always impressive, especially in motion-capture roles, so it'll be interesting to see him take on both acting and directing duties. I'll probably check it out when it comes out, especially if they manage to capture the same epic feel as the previous films.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top