Viz Media halts distro of Death Note

Magus452

formerly 0b3r0n452
Hey guys, you probably don't remember me, I was around for a while a few months ago and wasn't very active. My computer exploded and I just got it working again so I'm back now and with a new log on, cause having to type my 0b3r0n452 every time was a pain in the ass. (yes I do realize the irony of having just typed it)

NOW ON TO THE STORY

Recently Viz Media acquired the rights to American distribution of Death Note. Many people, myself included were at the time happy about this as I do support official R1/2 DvDs of anime that I've liked in fansub.

And then I remembered what Viz did to DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon and Saint Seiya, you get the point. I've heard some of the voice work for Death Note and I'm not happy about it, they make Light sound like a whiny little emo. But my main problem doesn't rise from the bad voice cast but Viz's notorious history of EXTREME censorship. For those of you who don't remember they chose to censor many of their manga titles so as to make them "acceptable" for sale in places like Wal-Mart. Don't even get me started on localization or Viz's policy of flipping manga to a western, left-right orientation.

But the final nail in the coffin was this. On the 12th Viz sent the much dreaded cease and desist order to anyone who was fansubbing Death Note. All Death Note is to be off of the web by the 22nd.

Animand's take on it can be read here

and Kuro-Hana's can be found here

Anyhow while I do understand that this is "just good business" I don't have to like it. In my opinion Viz doesn't give two shits about the community, the fandom, or even the anime and manga they release. They have no respect for the source material or the artist's wishes. They have no respect for the traditions of the industry. Their translations are sloppy and the voice acting is worse. They once localized "ikadatemasu" as "rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub." (I know ADV did it with Azumanga Daioh too.) Christ, that hurt to even type. They dumb down plot lines, relationships, language, violence, and sexuality in the name of "marketability." When it all comes down to it they aren't the great importers of fine manga and anime they claim to be, they're profit whores. As my friend put it when I told him, "Viz?!? Goddammit, they're like the Shinra of the manga world."

So in conclusion, any channels you guys have Death Note in get it out quick, and any episodes you don't have get them fast.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to fix a glass of rum and coke, grab my Mokona/Modoki and have a good cry. Rest in Peace Death Note, we'll miss you.:bawling: :bawling:

~Magus
 
Last edited:
You do realize Viz is the American branch of a Japanese company correct?

The DBZ and Yu-gi-oh stuff censorship is partly their decision and partly influenced by other right holders of those properties.

And the nonsense about them not caring about either the community or the fandom, just really reeks of fanboyism.
 
They own the series, it's entirely within their rights to do so. Most groups willingly dropped it by their own choice after the licensing announcement came out between eps 11 and 12, some groups didn't, those groups knew what they were getting into when they made that choice. I don't see how this means that viz is just being a profit whore who doesn't care about the community, if they didn't care about the community, they wouldn't have let them continue for nearly 5 more months, they care enough to let the other groups handle it until they're ready to truly start it themselves. Thats more respect than ADV would have given.
 
I have to chalk up half of this to fanboyism as well. I mean half of the problems you complaing about don't exist anymore or were from a time when anime and manga were just starting to bloom in the US.

Death Note is also the first series to have a subbed version released online by Viz. That's why they're asking fansubbers to cease and desist dude. They are having a copy available for download as well along with subs and dubs on dvd later on. They realize people like the series.

Now are you judging Yu-Gi-Oh censorship on Shonen Jump, Collected books or the TV series? Cause Shonen Jump is a multi age magazine in the states and sometimes they have to tone it down in the magazine release but leave it un-edited when it reaches the collected form. Secondly your obsession with keeping Japanese phrases and claims of dumb downed plot are at times ludicrous. Hell I can rightly accuse scanlation and fansubbers for dirtying up series they work on, because they think its more EXTREME. Besides YOU may understand ikadatemasu but how many people in the REAL WORLD do in the states? I don't think a little trans note in the volume or at the end is going to save it if people don't understand it. Yes some phrases in Japanese have no English analogue, the same is true with English phrases being translated to Japanese or ANY LANGUAGE. Quit making Manga a sacred cow man. It doesn't do you any good in the long run.

Now if you try to pin the Yu-Gi-Oh TV series edits on Viz, I'm going to smack you up the head. That's 4Kids' fault and Viz has no part in it.

BTW this title is misleading. As there is no indication of fansubbing in the title. I had thought that something had happened to the actual print run or some mishap had occured with Viz's release of the Death Note online episodes and/or DVD. I know you can't change it, nor probably want to, but it is misleading.
 
man that sucks ass,
wasnt there like 2 more episodes left to go for the series?
I now I have more hate or Viz Media >.<
 
They own the series, it's entirely within their rights to do so. Most groups willingly dropped it by their own choice after the licensing announcement came out between eps 11 and 12, some groups didn't, those groups knew what they were getting into when they made that choice. I don't see how this means that viz is just being a profit whore who doesn't care about the community, if they didn't care about the community, they wouldn't have let them continue for nearly 5 more months, they care enough to let the other groups handle it until they're ready to truly start it themselves. Thats more respect than ADV would have given.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIZ_Media

It is jointly-owned by Japanese publishers Shogakukan and Shueisha, and licensing house Shogakukan Productions (ShoPro), a Shogakukan subsidiary.

The two manga metioned by name, Dragon Ball and Yugi-Oh, also happen to have been the most butchered animes in recent times along with Sailor Moon and CCSakura. And the impression I got during the whole Dragon Ball mess was that Funimation indirectly forced or prodded them into making that movie. I know for a fact, Gen & company aren't particularly well liked.

ADV is becoming partners with several Japanese companies so I would assume that the quality of their work will also increase.
 

I'm sure there must be something there... otherwise why waste my time posting a link after my quote, but I fail to see how that actually relates to anything I said?

The fact remains that they own the north American distribution rights. They were under no obligation to allow groups to continue fansubbing it, and could have had those C&D letters (that the fansubbers are willingly following, as they stated from the begining that they would pull the project upon receiving the letter. They, however, were kind enough to allow fansubbers to continue for over 5 months after the license was given to them. If you look at companies like ADV, you get your C&D letter within weeks of the licensing announcements.
 
I'm sure there must be something there... otherwise why waste my time posting a link after my quote, but I fail to see how that actually relates to anything I said?

The fact remains that they own the north American distribution rights. They were under no obligation to allow groups to continue fansubbing it, and could have had those C&D letters (that the fansubbers are willingly following, as they stated from the begining that they would pull the project upon receiving the letter. They, however, were kind enough to allow fansubbers to continue for over 5 months after the license was given to them. If you look at companies like ADV, you get your C&D letter within weeks of the licensing announcements.

that wasn't directed at you specifically, it was just meant so people can read up on Viz and decide for themselves.

And all the times I've dealt with or talked to anyone from ADV, they've been fairly nice and professional. I even got an autograph from Tiffany.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top