The Sinestro Corp Saga

GL Corps comes out this week, so I guess thats not part of the story, I feel sad for MArvel....Teaming Millar W/ Hitch again for 616 F4. when will they learn to avoid that delay-riffic duo?
 
Well, Sinestro Corps has ended. Geoff Johns “BIG EVENT†has wrapped and we’re left with the events of 16 issues of comics (17 technically) to think over and gauge how good it really was. My take? I loved it….but there were a LOT of things wrong with it. I thought about writing up a long article on how I fully broke down the series but I instead decided to do it list wise… so here we go. The good The Bad and The Opinions.

*ENDING SPOILERS*


The Good
Sinestro: A year ago I could summarize him in one word L.A.M.E., the costume, the character design, the whole model, just stupid. His costume was this court Jester thing…his head was bigger than his body (Made worse by the fact GL already had a big head villain with a bad mustache AND the members of his own race have normal sized heads) This story arc gave him direction, gave him a better costume (A purple outfit for a yellow lantern before?) and gave him a whole army of followers, plus he wasn’t a one trick pony in this story arc…his grand goal….was to lose, Like the best villains he saw his goals as noble and he fought to achieve them….the monitor the heralds all ploys…Bravo.

The Corps: While GL Proper might have had it’s fair share of Problems I can’t complain at all about the “Green Lantern Corps†book, it kept up with all the regular lanterns and followed some new ones, plus it also gave a chance for other Sinestro members to have some page time aside from just dying. Kilowog of course ruled the roost and kept the Poozers in line

Story: Seriously why did no one think of this before, Sinestro and the Yellow rings have been around HOW LONG? And I always enjoy getting to see the guardians knocked on their bums, given the fact that the story was also 99.9% self contained within it’s own pages made for reading it a whole lot easier and enjoyable.

The Bad

Hal Jordan: WE get it Johns, you’re a Hal Fan-boy….but seriously you can NOT keep re-hashing old stories with Hal around and claiming their yours, and Hal Jordan is NOT Jesus and you can not ignore the last 10 years of GL comics. The book was clearly designed with the goal of returning Hal Jordan to his “I don’t need to leave the silver age†ways. I got really tired of all the situations being solved by “Hal showing up!†thanks to GL Orps for breaking that up a little.

Writing: I’m not going to say that the writing was bad….but it wasn’t very well thought out, especially in GL proper, setting aside the gut wrenching “Ever seen My big fat Greek wedding†speech at the start of one of the issues Johns seemed to totally forget that this series (Hopefully all 16 issues) will undoubtedly get collected in a trade, which will make Hals internal monologs bringing us up the speed REALLY annoying about 4 issues into the book.

Kyle: I like Kyle Rayner, I make no excuses for this, he was a character solely created to get me to read GL and it worked, and It worked because Hal was broken (It’ll take DC a few more years to remember this I’m sure) but read him I did and enjoyed him, and while I know not every issue with him can be Judd Winick or even Meltzer quality I really hate how Johns has been systematicly neutering Kyle, by crapping on his life, by pussying ION down, by making him apparently less competent with the ring than years of comics have established and by generally just slapping him around, thankfully it seems the Other writers noticed and picked up the slack in their books.

Lethal Force: I’ve got a STACK of old books that show GL rings using Lethal Force…they always could, but they all knew better. Suddenly this arc says “OH they never could use Lethal Force, ignore that part……wait 5 minutes……OK they can again!â€

ION: I didn’t like the Parralex explanation, but that’s my take…it does work in theory…but then saying ION was a separate entity as well? Nope THAT doesn’t work. Because the only time that Kyle could have picked up Ion was when he absorbed all the GL power in the sun, which means that ION was inside Parrelax as well, and he apparently just didn’t mind? NO

Nero & The Tales books: Again Johns tries to ignore Kyle story, Nero was in the OA prisons too, he weilds a Yellow Ring, but he doesn’t show up at all in the series until AFTER the arc is done, and even then only for a few pages. Which brings me to the other point that it seemed while Johns was making his Hal Jordan Fap fest it was up to Meltzer to fill in all the gaps in continuity he was leaving. The “Tales of the Sinestro corps†(Irritatingly number #1 each issue) served to fill those holes and let a lot of the characters keep their dignity that Hal was siphoning off.

The Guardians: Seriously, did we need a re-hash of emerald twilight? When are the guardians gonna learn to just Shut up and listen to Ganthet? DO they need to die like a THIRD time to figure out that he’s always right? Maybe 2010 will slap some sense into them.

The Rest

Other Rings: I’m not hot on the idea of other rings, let alone like SIX other colors, but since Fans have been speculating on it forever I think that it’s been led up to sufficiently enough. Although I think a Red ring is a bit redundant because then they open up the floor for even MORE entities like ION and PARRELAX.

The End: And I mean the VERY end, the Epilogue issue was great….couldn’t we have wrapped it on a self contained note instead of a leading to the next story….again your not taking that Trade into consideration.

2009: I’m appreciative of DC for saying they’ll wait until “Final†Crisis (Notice how I wrote that) is over but I’ve seen events “Planned†that never came to fruition, by the time 2009 rolls around will we even care about The Final Night?

So that’s my Take, I got all the books…..Even the ONE tie-in with Blue Beetle, that didn’t add at all to The story, their all first editions so suck it people who got in too late. I liked the Story, but it would have been better with the same story and Judd Winick or Ron Marz doing the GL book Proper.
 
Finally read it and LOVED it!!!!!!!!!

It's rare a comic book actually gives me goosebumps so many times.

I LOVED the idea of other rings of the spectrum. I want a Blue Ring!

LOVED the idea of a Corp War.

And LOVED the idea of the Black Lantern and the possiblities of what they could do with it.

Like BRING BACK SUPER BOY AND GIVE HIM A SUPER SUIT!!!
 
Yeah, it's true, apparently. I'm just assuming the Guardians never had a reason to sanction it until now.

I have to admit, though...if Conner does come back during The Blackest Night, I'd kinda like to see him end up as a Blue Lantern.
 
Last edited:
Keep in mind that the timeline was altered yet again after Infinite Crisis. Any stories before 2006 may or may not be a part of the current continuity until it's confirmed via a flashback.

I know. That's a lame cop-out for any potential continuity errors but that's the DCU for ya.

That said, I loved this crossover. It was a concept that was just so visceral, so utterly fanboyish. Let's have thousands of Green Lanterns fight thousands of Sinestros! It's such a silly and simple gimmick and it was executed well.

I'm ambivalent towards the idea of there being so many new colored Lanterns. I'll give it a chance but there is a danger of it dilluting the Green Lantern mythos. The Sinestro Corps was cool because the yellow rings have been around forever anyway. Even the Star Sapphire Corps is passable (and kinda kinky!) But all these other colors; Red Lanterns, Blue Lanterns, Indigo Lanterns, it might be a bit much.

That said, an army of undead Black Lanterns sounds frightening and exciting!
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top