Also this isn't really a fanfilm. It was most likely produced by a television show as a skit. Especially if they had a big names like Rina Uchiyama and Shingo Katori. The director has recently hit it big with his movie "Shimotsuma Monogatari" aka "Kamikaze Girls" which is a great movie, I recommend it.
I still will never get why VIZ had to change the name of the movie. The original title means "Story of Shimotsuma" which is how the movie is introduced in the beginning. "Kamikaze" isn't descriptive at all of Kyoko Fukada's character, who plays the main character and is narrating the film. Although Anna Tsuchiya's character can be described I soppose as a kamikaze girl.
My gaijin sensablities respond better to Kamikaze Girl than I do to "Story of Shimotsuma", cuz with the latter I'd be like, 'who's Shimotsuma and why should I care for her story?"
This new name alone kinda kindles a curious buzz in my brain.
I think that's why... just to help jumpstart the curiosity of an American mind.
I liked the short film because it felt kewl watching a normal guy turn into a villain against his control. I cant explain it, it just gave a kewl feeling.
My gaijin sensablities respond better to Kamikaze Girl than I do to "Story of Shimotsuma", cuz with the latter I'd be like, 'who's Shimotsuma and why should I care for her story?"
This new name alone kinda kindles a curious buzz in my brain.
I think that's why... just to help jumpstart the curiosity of an American mind.
Exactly. Titles change a lot between the two countries to make them sound better to their counterparts. For example, Perfect Dark is called Red and Black in Japan.
Wow, that was awesome and the end was just very weird. You gotta love how the guy had his own minions decked out in hoods and chains.
VengeanceGOD said:
Exactly. Titles change a lot between the two countries to make them sound better to their counterparts. For example, Perfect Dark is called Red and Black in Japan.
My gaijin sensablities respond better to Kamikaze Girl than I do to "Story of Shimotsuma", cuz with the latter I'd be like, 'who's Shimotsuma and why should I care for her story?"
This new name alone kinda kindles a curious buzz in my brain.
I think that's why... just to help jumpstart the curiosity of an American mind.
Whatever, I'm a purist. The title wasn't what intrigued me, it was the buzz it was getting at film festivals that peaked my interest. In fact, if I hadn't heard about the film festival buzz, the title "Kamikaze Girls" would've seriously turned me off from watching the film. And Shimotsuma is the name of the town the story takes place in, not a person. It takes place in a very rural area which is why both characters stand out so extremely in the film.