The Evolution of Martial Arts in Mainstream Cinema

MalMars

Member
I've been thinking about how martial arts films have become embedded in mainstream cinema over the years, especially with the rise of superhero and action blockbusters. It’s fascinating to see how the choreography and presentation of fight scenes have evolved from classic Hong Kong cinema, a world where legends like Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen defined what action meant.

Take "The Matrix" for example; it introduced so many audiences to the beauty of wire fu and stylized choreography, blending it with a sci-fi aesthetic that was revolutionary at the time. Then, films like “John Wick” have taken it to an entirely new level by combining practical stunt choreography with gun-fu.

I’m curious if you all think this evolution has kept the spirit of traditional martial arts alive, or has it strayed too far into the territory of style over substance? What are your favorite moments that showcase this evolution? And do you have any thoughts on how future films can honor the classic roots while pushing the envelope even further?
 
The way martial arts has evolved in movies is truly amazing. "The Matrix" not only revolutionized action sequences but also made martial arts feel more accessible to mainstream audiences. I remember watching it for the first time and being blown away by how they merged philosophical themes with intense choreography.

"John Wick" definitely takes it to the next level with its focus on practical effects and real world consequences in fight scenes. It does feel like there’s a balance to strike though, while it’s exciting to see this elevated choreography, it can sometimes overshadow the deeper traditions of martial arts.

For future films, I think it would be great to see more homage to the roots of martial arts alongside the spectacle. Projects like "Shang-Chi" have shown how to weave cultural storytelling with incredible fight sequences, so hopefully we’ll see more of that blend. Are there any lesser-known martial arts films or techniques you'd like to see more mainstream attention on?
 
I grew up watching old Jackie Chan movies on VHS and I still think those are the best. The Matrix looked cool with all the slow motion and wires but it felt more like a video game than real fighting. John Wick is even crazier with the guns and close combat mix. I like the action but sometimes it loses the simple heart of old school martial arts. They should go back to more grounded fights that show real skill instead of just big explosions and fancy moves. Still fun to watch though.
 
Honestly the way fight scenes changed is pretty amazing. From Hong Kong cinema straight to Hollywood big budgets. The Matrix opened doors for a lot of people who never saw wire work before. Now John Wick makes everything feel so smooth and dangerous at the same time. I think the spirit is still there because the stunts are real and the actors train hard. It just got bigger and louder. My favorite part is when they mix old techniques with new ideas.
 
The evolution is cool but I worry it went too far from the roots. Classic Hong Kong films had fighters who trained for years and you could see their hard work. The Matrix made it artistic and John Wick made it intense with guns. Both are entertaining but the simple beauty of pure martial arts is getting lost. Directors should remember to show respect to the old masters while creating new things.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
To me it feels like they kept some of the old spirit but added too much flash. Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen made you believe the pain and effort. In The Matrix and John Wick the fights look beautiful but sometimes too perfect. I enjoy both styles but I miss the raw feeling from classic films. Future movies should let actors show more real martial arts training on screen instead of hiding behind special effects all the time.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top