At about 20 hours into it I'm loving it, the combat actually can get pretty frantic, especially if you're letting the monsters link, having 13 enemies on screen and using overlimit can be pretty fast paced. The story's on par with typical Tales writing, not epic, but very good in it's own right. There's a fair amount of grinding required if you want to learn every skill in the game though. All in all I'd day it's definitely worth the money, I'm hoping to beat it this weekend though so I'm free to start Undiscovery on Tuesday.
I think the problem with the demo was the limitation in characters. It forces you to use Yuri, Repede, Estelle and Rita, the later two are magic/support oriented, they're not heavy on combat until alter when Rita learns more spells, Repede is decent for helping rack up combos, but if you have more than 4 people in your party, odds are he's going to be sidelined, Karol.. who is in the demo.. and playable at that point in the game.. isn't allowed to be in your part, and he's probably the second best front line fighter in the game, The demo combat feels slow beucase really.. you don't have a real combat team available.