SUPERMAN: The Man of Steel - Pre-Discussion

Ok...I'm about to argue with you but not at you. More like for the principle. Not about why Kryptonite isn't in the film cause if they didn't want to use it in the film then whatever there are other ways to fight Superman but I am going to argue about your opinion on kyrptonite and why super hero movies are flawed in general. Nobody cares if you're done with Kryptonite. Nobody cares about you're version of Superman. DC and Marvel spend decades establishing characters and tying them to origins and basic parts of that story should go unchanged. The "S" on his chest meaning hope. What ever that's a small thing. Clark traveling the world as a drifter doing good deeds. That's pretty cool. Now Kryptonians being genetically engineered...what is that what even is that.

I agree with this. I'm just done with how weightlessly Kryptonite is handled in the comics and animated series. Why doesn't Lex just find the most lethal variant and kill Supes and get it over with if its that easy to acquire?

Smallville did well with the concept , but again, I digress on how it had no weight in the story other than lets go with making it like Static Shock. Innovative, yes. The story was good, but if it is supposed to be his homeworld, I want him to know it is so it would eat at his core. That is, make Clark's first few years on Krypton and then the rest on Earth. That way he knows that the very last pieces of his civilization are the only thing that can kill him. Maybe a Fortress of Solitude, but I'd take something more inconspicuous that he can hold in his hand. Something that would be engineered by someone highly advanced if not my concept.

Genetically engineered? It's Zod's plan, not that they are initially.



When have either of those men ever had the body or appearance of a superhero?!
Adam Sandler , as I said, years ago, but Jonah Hill? He's lost a ton of weight and he'd be prime to be one. People didn't feel Bale or Garfield could pull Batman or Spiderman , but it happened and those films were dang good.

I'm more going on comedic talent than anything.

If you were a guy who made a bunch of good movies that has nothing to do with super heroes DC would go "Hey this guy made good movies lets ask him if he wants to write Flash." And then you said yes. Now you are dead set on a Adam Sandler/Flash but now you're not writing Flash are you? You're writing your version of Flash.

The Marvel films are amalgams of various universes, so why not DC? Whether intentional or not, people tend to try to write different versions of a character and its been seen in comic books for over 80 years.




The version no person who are fans of Flash care about.
To be fair, no one really knows of the Flash, and two, if its a straight on adapt, I think that would change their minds , no?

Nobody cares if you think Adam Sandler would make a good Flash. Nobody cares if you don't like Kryptonite. There are established things about a hero that make that hero that hero.

True enough. Said that it depends on execution. Established things about heroes I wouldn't change, but provide a better and more tragic reasoning for?


If you change those it's not that hero anymore. If you want to write for a superhero I think you have to take a page from superheroes. You have to put others before yourself. Forget about what you want. Figure out what already makes that hero cool and work with that. Not what you think might be cool.

I feel personally Superman has been perverted too much from its original comics much like Batman was before Nolan came along (speaking of the 30s) or a number of other franchises . Superman came from a dying world and being the [presumably] only one of his kind, is raised on a fortunate countryside farm in a bustling United States of America. The lands his ancestors walked upon is now crumbling on the face of the Earth in meteorites that alter people , make ill and or kill him.

And he can't be himself unless the world deems him too dangerous or a freak, and that's why he dons the suit. So he can be the proud symbol of his dead civilization and so he can lead any of its remnants under his guidance to keep his new world , the new Krypton , safe from outer space threats.

Flash is another animal as all I know is from the JLU cartoon and he always came as that smartass wise guy.

By making him relatable, he's one of us and hopefully, they don't mess it up.

P.S. I love you.

Thanks. I approve. :thumbs:

Now I think this the biggest problem with this movie and why people seem so off put is there not really doing what I last said about taking what make a that hero that hero and working from there. There taking what makes Superman Superman but also taking what makes Nolan/Batman Nolan/Batman and then trying to mush them together into some 50/50 or 60/40 weirdness.

I agree on this as well. Though I like how its going so far, I want it to embrace the comics and possibly the animated series most young adults grew up with , Justice League wise. That said, I'd go for John Stewart Lantern [blending cartoon and the comic versions for all of them in general] as a main target.

Though as a kid growing up, I thought Wonder Woman was awesome because I loved and still love Ancient Greco-Roman mythology [How can no one write it?]. She could literally be the Thor and Black Widow of the League so to speak due to said divine origins and I could definitely do her....... I just remember the Super Friends show .:buttrock: Now that was the stuff.

Same with Aquaman ,when I was bummed they threw the pilot's fish out of the water. :bawling:

Of course my main three were Batman ,Wolverine and Spiderman.
 
Well, I saw the most recent trailer thanks to Yahoo. While I still don't agree with the creative changes, I still like the trailers. It still very much feels like Superman. I think, if the creative changes are downplayed as much as possible while still doing their best to make it stand out as a traditional Superman story, it might become something pretty good.

Time will tell, and I'll keep waiting for more trailers and info before I make up my mind to see it or not.
 
I'm very mixed on this - I really like the idea of making a new Superman movie that takes things in a different direction than what we've seen in the past, but I just...don't want it to become The Dark Knight trilogy with Superman. That trailer didn't do much to get me excited in the new movie, though I do like the idea of Clark moving from town to town under different guises and doing different jobs, they did something like that last year in the comics and I thought it was a cool idea.
 
I'm very mixed on this - I really like the idea of making a new Superman movie that takes things in a different direction than what we've seen in the past, but I just...don't want it to become The Dark Knight trilogy with Superman. That trailer didn't do much to get me excited in the new movie, though I do like the idea of Clark moving from town to town under different guises and doing different jobs, they did something like that last year in the comics and I thought it was a cool idea.

I believe the idea of him traveling would be better as a TV show continuation of Smallville than a huge part of this film.

They better not make it like TDK because its about time they make a DC Film Universe, preferably with Bruce Timm as the head. Why waste all the talent on the animated films when they could be making far more on the silver screen, not saying the animated ones should suffer.

Just seems unwise that they would do such a thing, but then again, they also cancelled and neglected a highly rated animated series to oblivion, and I'm glad they'll take a hit when Clone Wars goes off the air. It will show them to treat their shows and crews with more respect, which only seems to happen at Marvel nowadays.
 
I really like the part when Mr. Kent reassures Clark that he is his son, I'm sick and tired of Superman writers that keep forgetting that :redface2:, I just hope the movie doesn't forget it as well two acts later.
 
Then again...Sups hasn't had a good track record as of late. They need some kind of rival for him that's NOT a bat...





...Lobo perhaps.:sweat:

I agree. I'm not excited about Zod (even though he's a great character), he's already been done well and he's basically an evil Superman. Add the fact that the status quo of villains in comic book movies has been raised over the years, Zod doesn't excite me

Hopefully for the sequel they bust out Brainiac and for the third one (because we all know it's happening) we get Doomsday
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top