It does fit within canon. In this film, a character travels back through time in the 'normal' Trek universe and changes history, creating a tangent alternate timeline, which is where this film takes place. Kinda like the TNG episode 'Parallels'. This is simply an alternate universe. This is why Leonard Nimoy is in the film. So it is a way to restart without deleting the 43 years of continuity which came before it.
I like how the designs are a mixture of classic Trek and the designs seen in Enterprise. For example, the Constitution class ship evokes both Kirk and Archer's ships. I wouldn't mind a sequel where a member of the Soong family, Data's creators, shows up.
I like how the designs are a mixture of classic Trek and the designs seen in Enterprise. For example, the Constitution class ship evokes both Kirk and Archer's ships. I wouldn't mind a sequel where a member of the Soong family, Data's creators, shows up.