Shinken Pink: Shut Up Bitch, Go Fix Me a Turkey Pot Pie

Seriously though I remember you liked it well enough at the start. I got the impression that for you it pulled a Drake when Genta arrived.

I'll just say that I had more hope for the show at the beginning, or gave it the benefit of the doubt. There were quite a few boring episodes at the start, like the one with Ryuunosuke fishing for a new Bandai toy, but I just thought "Oh, these are the establishing episodes. The show's bound to pick up." Wrong! It's just been a disappointment.

The first bump in the road was that terrible Richard Brown episode, and those few eps. afterwards that were written by outside writers. And then Genta showed up and I really lost patience with the series -- he's been good for nothing other than bringing new toys and being the goofball bridge to Go-onger for the sake of the team-up. The show got to the point where it seemed every episode was centered on getting a new gadget that wasn't even required, and character and storyline suffered for it. It's just been a lazily written, lazily executed series. I think Kobayashi burned out quicker than Inoue, because at least he has some good shows under his belt. She has, like, four shows that could have been good, but never came close to reaching their potential.
 
Last edited:
I'll just say that I had more hope for the show at the beginning, or gave it the benefit of the doubt. There were quite a few boring episodes at the start, like the one with Ryuunosuke fishing for a new Bandai toy, but I just thought "Oh, these are the establishing episodes. The show's bound to pick up." Wrong! It's just been a disappointment.

The first bump in the road was that terrible Richard Brown episode, and those few eps. afterwards that were written by outside writers. And then Genta showed up and I really lost patience with the series -- he's been good for nothing other than bringing new toys and being the goofball bridge to Go-onger for the sake of the team-up. The show got to the point where it seemed every episode was centered on getting a new gadget that wasn't even required, and character and storyline suffered for it. It's just been a lazily written, lazily executed series. I think Kobayashi burned out quicker than Inoue, because at least he has some good shows under his belt. She has, like, four shows that could have been good, but never came close to reaching their potential.

I've never really understood your beef with TimeRanger which if memory serves is also a Kobyashi series. As for the Richard Brown episode I thought it was pretty funny as comedy episodes of a sentai series go IMO.

For the toy thing, I agree that it sucks and it hurts the overall storytelling but I view it more as a side-effect of this being a '00 Sentai because they all have this same damn problem of gimmick-glut. If anything it's surprising to me the show is cool as it is even despite the requisite Bandai bullshit leading to the now all too standard chunkfuck ultimate combiner that moves about as well as Ralphie's little brother in A Christmas Story when his mom puts so many winter jackets on him he can't put his arms down. It did not start with Shinkenger and sadly it likely will not end with Shinkenger.
 
For the toy thing, I agree that it sucks and it hurts the overall storytelling but I view it more as a side-effect of this being a '00 Sentai because they all have this same damn problem of gimmick-glut.
You know, for as much people hate on them, Magiranger and Dekaranger actually kept the number of toys down.
 
You know, for as much people hate on them, Magiranger and Dekaranger actually kept the number of toys down.

Were they that unpopular? :/ Toy overkill might not add to the show but it doesn't seem to have much effect on how well a series is received ...
 
Attemping to move a belated reply from the main Shinkenger thread over to here... if I screw up again, I apologize, I'm really tired...

A housewife may be a better person than me but I did say the actual "job" of a housewife (ie. staying at home, looking after children, cooking and cleaning) is beneath me.

I also consider that it is beneath Mako. She's too intelligent, which is one of the reasons her character is so disappointing, but that's for the other thread.

(blinks) OK, I know this is a belated reply, but I just saw this. Excuse me? If I was married with kids, and one of us could afford to stay home, I certainly would unless my husband wanted to do so instead - and I would certainly be considered "too intelligent" by your standards. There is no tougher and more honorable job than trying to raise a child to grow up to be a decent adult. Believe me, at my job, I see far too many so-called parents (some of whom are stay-at-home parents by choice) who utterly fail at this. I also see those parents who both have to work struggle very hard to make sure their kids turn out okay and actually BE parents (which, overall, my colleagues have done a really good job with that, based on their kids). "Looking after children", after all, means a lot more than just feeding them, cleaning them up, and sending them off to school - it also means teaching them how to make intelligent, moral choices and be good people. You would think that those who are highly intelligent would in fact see that this is highly important for humanity to have a future. By the way, is this also the case for stay-at-home dads? There are those these days as well. If you were married with children, and your husband wanted to be a stay-at-home dad and you could afford for him to do so, would you consider a lesser man?

Oh, and for doing housework, anyone who does housework will tell you how hard a job that is, and that certainly shouldn't be beneath anyone, unless you want to live in a pigsty and constantly eat take-out. If it was really that lowly a job, why did Jii have the Shinkengers help the Kuroko that one time to show them how hard and honorable a support position is (and the Kuroko, like a stay-at-home wife/husband, chose that position)? Shoot, if it was beneath me, then my place would be a utter wreck, since my share of the chores is the main weekly housecleaning (and, yes, I do work full-time - everyone in my household is assigned chores so that the household can run smoothly). For that matter, so would my place of work - one of my coworkers complimented me on my anal-retentive straightening ways, which I do because we're more efficient that way. Gee, it is pretty intelligent to do housework when you look at it that way.

Mako is an intelligent woman. Yes, she does have what some people consider old-fashioned values and desires. There's nothing wrong with that if that is her choice. She's also thought through what it would mean to her life, including her job choice at the beginning of the series (remember, she worked with kids - what of all of the people who choose to do that, especially people like nannies who raise other people's children because it is beneath those people?) and her sworn duty (which it seems ties into what little I understood of 39 - and, no, it didn't seem like she had forgiven Takeru for wigging out and in fact is trying to figure out what exactly is going on in his head by the end - in other words, she's using her head like you wished) to follow those desires - if she wasn't as smart as she was, do you think she would be a Shinkenger at all? She would be married with a ton of kids instead of doing what she needs to do by now. :laugh:

(Side note: if Super Sentai was geared towards an older audience, the idea of hero with a spouse and kids actually would be interesting to examine in depth - yes, they briefly touched on it in the episode with Mako's parents, but that actually would be something to ponder. Speaking of that, when you look at Mako's mother in essence abandoning her after being injured, is it any wonder that Mako has reacted by wanting to be more like the mother she would have wanted if/when she gets married and has children? She just wants to be a better mother than her own!)

Sorry, I just finally got pushed into having to say something. I hope that I didn't go overboard - I know this is really long. :sweat:
 
There is no tougher and more honorable job than trying to raise a child to grow up to be a decent adult.

Most people don't amount to very much, regardless of whether their mothers stayed at home. It's not a great return on your investment, is it? The Japanese ideal, in particular, is for men to be mindless corporate mooks and women to be submissive little housewives. Is it really worth all the effort of bringing up a child full time just for them to grow up to do that?

"Looking after children", after all, means a lot more than just feeding them, cleaning them up, and sending them off to school - it also means teaching them how to make intelligent, moral choices and be good people.

A common argument of professional misogynists is that women have no more moral/intellectual capacity than a small child, and that's why they are best suited for taking care of children. Nietzche and Schopenhauer both advocated this idea.

You would think that those who are highly intelligent would in fact see that this is highly important for humanity to have a future. By the way, is this also the case for stay-at-home dads? There are those these days as well. If you were married with children, and your husband wanted to be a stay-at-home dad and you could afford for him to do so, would you consider a lesser man?

I'd consider it a bit unnatural. Men on the whole tend to be more competitive, more focused and more suited to going far in life, whereas women are focused on family and children. I'd consider it admirable that he was willing to stay at home with them but for the life of me I'd never understand why he would want to.

Oh, and for doing housework, anyone who does housework will tell you how hard a job that is, and that certainly shouldn't be beneath anyone, unless you want to live in a pigsty and constantly eat take-out. If it was really that lowly a job, why did Jii have the Shinkengers help the Kuroko that one time to show them how hard and honorable a support position is (and the Kuroko, like a stay-at-home wife/husband, chose that position)?

Because it's a kid's show and they wanted to throw in a moral lesson about not being a jerk to people who are beneath you socially.

Mako is an intelligent woman.

Intelligent but lacking in sense.

She's also thought through what it would mean to her life, including her job choice at the beginning of the series (remember, she worked with kids - what of all of the people who choose to do that, especially people like nannies who raise other people's children because it is beneath those people?)

It's a job. At least they get paid, they get time off etc. If Mako just loved children and wanted to work with them but wasn't obsessed with being a housewife, I wouldn't have half so much of a problem with her character.

and her sworn duty (which it seems ties into what little I understood of 39 - and, no, it didn't seem like she had forgiven Takeru for wigging out and in fact is trying to figure out what exactly is going on in his head by the end - in other words, she's using her head like you wished)

All that fussing over him looked very much like the show is setting them up as a couple. I still stand by my assertion that having Takeru hit/push his likely future love interest is wrong.

(Side note: if Super Sentai was geared towards an older audience, the idea of hero with a spouse and kids actually would be interesting to examine in depth - yes, they briefly touched on it in the episode with Mako's parents, but that actually would be something to ponder.

The closest we've had in Sentai so far was probably Abaranger. AbaRed's character had many of the same problems as Mako (being too emotional and compassionate) but his arc did show that being a single parent is tough.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top